Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 9 of 15
« First < 789 1011 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Mac's Apple Pie Shine
kelmac07 12:06 PM 09-11-2012
Originally Posted by Savor the Stick:
This sounds really good!
Have you thought of getting rid of the vanilla extract and using real vanilla bean paste---I wouldn't cook it but mix it with a little of the Everclear to thin it into a liquid and then mix it in. I think 2 sticks would be good to start.
Should give another boost to the depth of flavor.
Kevin I have had that exact thought...but finding real vanilla bean stalk or paste in Virginia has been like finding a needle in the haystack. One day though... :-)
[Reply]
deadrise 12:31 PM 09-11-2012
I need a sugar free version Mac hook me up..........
[Reply]
OLS 12:36 PM 09-11-2012
Originally Posted by Scottw:
I paid $15 each for 2 750s of 190 proof Everclear today. When I was in high school (I mean Grad School), this stuff cost $6.99 a bottle.
Yeah and I bought a Datsun for $1700 off the showroom floor.
ALMOST everything on earth has doubled in price since I was a kid.
Are you really shocked, lol? Drink some everclear, that shock will wear off.
[Reply]
Mikes 07:29 PM 09-11-2012
Vanilla beans can be bought here along with other great spices

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...illabeans.html

Maybe there is a store in your area or over $30 is free shipping. I have been meaning to try this shine out. Wonder if you cAn keg it :-)
[Reply]
363 07:42 PM 09-11-2012
Originally Posted by Mikes:

Maybe there is a store in your area or over $30 is free shipping. I have been meaning to try this shine out. Wonder if you cAn keg it :-)
Amazing!
[Reply]
maninblack 08:14 PM 09-11-2012
I got some shine headed my way tomorrow!!
[Reply]
kelmac07 08:23 PM 09-11-2012
Originally Posted by deadrise:
Yeah right...sugar free from me?? :-) :-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
Bleez 08:48 PM 09-11-2012
Originally Posted by deadrise:

I'm hypoglycemic and followed this recipe almost all the way. All I did was substitute Diet AJ and Diet Cider for the real things and used Splenda. I also threw a few pinches of Apple Pie Spice in it to recover what was probably lost by using diet drinks.

Mac, the sugar free (probably about 5g of sugar per serving actually) has been a hit this football season and has even travelled to my gf's family reunion in NY and applauded. No one complains about the sugar free version.

It does taste much better with a couple weeks worth of rest.

Party on!
[Reply]
Savor the Stick 12:16 PM 09-12-2012
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Kevin I have had that exact thought...but finding real vanilla bean stalk or paste in Virginia has been like finding a needle in the haystack. One day though... :-)
I was going to say I would send you some....but you'll get it quicker mail order; and no body guards.
I would go with the Madagascar Vanilla beans.

Originally Posted by Mikes:

Maybe there is a store in your area or over $30 is free shipping. I have been meaning to try this shine out. Wonder if you can keg it :-)
Very nice!
[Reply]
5newmans 10:42 AM 09-19-2012
Mac, I know I am a little late to the party, but thanks for posting the recipe.
I made up a batch this weekend and everyone that has tried it, loves it.
[Reply]
kelmac07 11:29 AM 09-19-2012
Glad everyone enjoyed it James. :-) Nothing better than some liquid apple pie. :-) :-)
[Reply]
Savor the Stick 12:21 PM 09-19-2012
I plan on getting the supplies and making up a batch soon.

With the high % of alcohol I doubt there would be any spoilage if un-refrigarated. Gonna check out my theory by vacume packing a jar and seeing what it is like in 6 months....course I will keep it cool.

[Reply]
ArgusP2 05:14 PM 09-19-2012
Hey K! We need to talk...
[Reply]
Savor the Stick 06:04 PM 09-19-2012
Texted you my home #....and yes you can have some when I get it made up. :-)
Later!

[Reply]
jonharky 07:28 PM 09-19-2012
Had my first taste last night and it was phenomenal will give it a shot soon!
[Reply]
spectrrr 12:13 PM 09-20-2012
fall is upon us... and that means good apple cider again, finally I can make up a GOOD batch of the stuff... the last two were "eh" due to poor quality cider :-)
[Reply]
Savor the Stick 02:50 PM 09-30-2012
Current version of the recipe that I have been using is included below...

Mac's Applie Pie 'Shine
Prep time 5 minutes
Cook time 45 minutes

Ingredients:
1 gallon apple juice
1 gallon apple cider (make sure to get a legit cider, no value stuff. It makes for a better product.)
1.5 cups white sugar
1.5 cups brown sugar
1.5 tablespoons of Vanilla Extract
8 cinnamon sticks (again, get a legit brand. Spend the extra cash. McCormicks are perfect)
1.5 (750 milliliter) bottles 190 proof Everclear grain alcohol
8 shots of Pinnacle Whipped Cream Vodka

Directions:
In a large pot, combine apple juice, apple cider, sugar, vanilla extract and eight cinnamon sticks. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and let cool completely (overnight preferred). When juice mixture is cool, Stir in the grain alcohol and and vodka, then place in jars.

Store in fridge. Before serving, shake the jar (cinnamon residue will sink to the bottom), pour in a cup of ice, and drink up!!

As for shelf life, I've stored this stuff in the fridge for over a year, shook it up and still tastes delicious. :-) :-) :-)

Enjoy!! :-)
So Mac for the above recipe you can expect about 9 qts? Or is the recipe above double batch?
Angel and I are planning on making up a batch...share costs etc. Thanks

[Reply]
kelmac07 02:53 PM 09-30-2012
Originally Posted by Savor the Stick:
So Mac for the above recipe you can expect about 9 qts? Or is the recipe above double batch?
Angel and I are planning on making up a batch...share costs etc. Thanks
Kevin...that recipe is for a single batch and will make you about 9 quarts. I just double the ingredients to make two batches. Problem is having a pot large enough to handle it all. :-)
[Reply]
363 02:55 PM 09-30-2012
Kevin...that recipe is for a single batch and will make you about 9 quarts. I just double the ingredients to make two batches. Problem is having a pot large enough to handle it all. :-)
Spanish/Asian market and you all good
[Reply]
kelmac07 02:57 PM 09-30-2012
Originally Posted by 363:
Spanish/Asian market and you all good
Oh...I'm good. Kellie bought me a 25 gallon pot that is perfect for two batches. :-)
[Reply]
Page 9 of 15
« First < 789 1011 > Last »
Up