Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 9 of 14
« First < 789 1011 > Last »
Good Eats>Sushi
ucla695 11:50 AM 03-04-2009
I'm getting really hungry over here. :-)

Originally Posted by mrreindeer:
You have my digits.... :-) By the way, have you tried Ortega 120 yet?
I haven’t tried Ortega yet, but it’s on my radar. I might suggest it for this weekend, but his wife is doing all of the planning. :-)
[Reply]
velvet jones 06:34 PM 03-05-2009
Sushi noob here, only having had Chinese buffet sushi. :-)
I know it's probably the McDonald's of sushi but I love the stuff and would like to expand my sushi experiences and seek out some sushi joints in the Cleveland area.
Anybody know of any 'sushi for dummies' websites that would provide some good info, and also some good restaurants in the area?

Thanks.
[Reply]
Kreth 06:40 PM 03-05-2009
Originally Posted by velvet jones:
SAnybody know of any 'sushi for dummies' websites that would provide some good info
The Wikipedia entry on sushi has some good info.
[Reply]
velvet jones 06:44 PM 03-05-2009
Wow! Mucho info. Thanks.
[Reply]
Kreth 06:51 PM 03-05-2009
Wow! Mucho info. Thanks.
You're welcome. A real sushi restaurant will usually let you order a la carte, so it's easy to try stuff and figure out what you like. Salmon, tuna, and yellowtail are probably some of the milder types of sushi. You don't want to start out with something like sea urchin. Eel (which is commonly broiled, not raw) is another good choice (my personal favorite). Most places will have unagi, which is a freshwater eel. Anago is a saltwater eel that may also be available.
[Reply]
Sawyer 07:15 PM 03-05-2009
...Anybody know of any 'sushi for dummies' websites that would provide some good info,...
Another good site for information is http://www.sushifaq.com/
[Reply]
velvet jones 04:38 PM 03-06-2009
More good info! Thanks.
I'm:-).
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 03:42 PM 03-12-2009
Was in PHX doing some "shopping" yesterday and Echo and I stopped at little hole-in-the-wall Japanese restaurant in Gilbert. OUTSTANDING selection of sushi as well as traditional Japanese dishes.

Echo had Katsudon and Toro and I sampled their Uni, Hokkigai and Masu. Also had an order of cold Soba noodles. It was delicious. I will definitely be eating there more often :-)
[Reply]
bobarian 06:33 PM 03-12-2009
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX:
Was in PHX doing some "shopping" yesterday and Echo and I stopped at little hole-in-the-wall Japanese restaurant in Gilbert. OUTSTANDING selection of sushi as well as traditional Japanese dishes.

Echo had Katsudon and Toro and I sampled their Uni, Hokkigai and Masu. Also had an order of cold Soba noodles. It was delicious. I will definitely be eating there more often :-)
Wow, You would not think the desert would be the place to find good sushi!
The trip to Japan still on?
[Reply]
ucla695 06:36 AM 03-18-2010
Bumpity...
[Reply]
Bigwaved 06:54 AM 03-18-2010
Dustin,

where are we going this year in SoCal? Should we give dvickery a call? :-)
[Reply]
68TriShield 07:20 AM 03-18-2010
Sushi noob here, only having had Chinese buffet sushi. :-)
I know it's probably the McDonald's of sushi but I love the stuff and would like to expand my sushi experiences and seek out some sushi joints in the Cleveland area.
Anybody know of any 'sushi for dummies' websites that would provide some good info, and also some good restaurants in the area?

Thanks.
The Sushipedia app for iphone/itouch is fairly cool.Free too as I recall.
[Reply]
Jbailey 07:35 AM 03-18-2010
Last week I had some great sushi.
Had a salmon skin roll, spicy tuna roll, alaska roll which was salmon & avocado. For Nigiri I had a few pieces of Fatty Tuna, Kobe and Foie Gras (first time ever having it and I fell in love!)
Hands down the best in the area.
http://www.muramoto.biz/
[Reply]
chenvt 08:45 AM 03-18-2010
For the most rewarding sushi experience, if you got a good place with a reputable sushi chef at the bar, just go to the bar and ask for the chef's omakase.. You don't necessarily know what you'll eat or what it'll cost, but as long as you have a good chef, it's well worth it!
[Reply]
Kreth 05:34 PM 03-18-2010
I'm a sushi hound. Favorites are unagi, spicy tuna rolls, uni. I envy you guys that can get *real* O-toro on a regular basis.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
chenvt 11:13 AM 03-22-2010
Originally Posted by Kreth:
I'm a sushi hound. Favorites are unagi, spicy tuna rolls, uni. I envy you guys that can get *real* O-toro on a regular basis.
Posted via Mobile Device
Don't get too envious, your wallet is probably a lot heavier than ours as a result :-)
[Reply]
357 11:35 AM 03-22-2010
Still a bit of a novice here. I've found I love the shrimp tempura at Fishbone's in Grosse Point (near Sailchaser's house). But, my favorite is the Magaro at Noble Fish in Clawson. It's not even a restaurant, but a Japanese fish market that happens to have a sushi counter in the back & 2 or 3 (2-man) tables. Apparently Noble Fish has won some kind of best sushi in Michgan award more than once. If you're ever in the area...

http://www.noblefish.com/
[Reply]
jkim05 11:35 AM 03-22-2010
Someone dropped off a nice tray of sashimi at my house last night. It was delicious.
[Reply]
leasingthisspace 11:51 AM 03-22-2010
Sushi by mail, hmmm I could make millions.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
chenvt 11:59 AM 03-22-2010
Originally Posted by leasingthisspace:
Sushi by mail, hmmm I could make millions.
Posted via Mobile Device
Or go broke paying for lawsuits from sick customers :-)
[Reply]
Page 9 of 14
« First < 789 1011 > Last »
Up