Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Does size matter???
badbriar 05:00 PM 07-03-2013
Had an interesting experience with one of my favorite cigar brands yesterday. Cusano 18 Paired maduro in the Churchill viola. Bought a box and cracked it open to have one and found the flavors muted, compared to the Gordo I usually smoke. Now, this was a new box, so I figure time in the humi is needed here to mellow these out.
I've had these in every other viola and flavor just gets better with decreased ring size. Found the Toro to be one of the tastiest. In comparison, the Churchill was bit flat. Surprised the hell out of me!
So, does the size have that much impact on flavor? Or, is it just maybe new sticks? :-):-):-)
RR
[Reply]
pnoon 05:04 PM 07-03-2013
Smaller ring gauge means a higher ratio of wrapper to binder and filler. So I would expect flavor/profile to be slightly different. However, most people (like me) don't have that refined a palate to notice significant change
[Reply]
kelmac07 07:32 PM 07-03-2013
I get a ton of better flavors on the coronas for the same reason Peter stated above.
[Reply]
equetefue 07:45 PM 07-03-2013
Agree with both Mac and Peter. I tend to like smaller RG cigars for this reason as well. To me they are slightly stronger
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 07:57 PM 07-03-2013
I started out thinking bigger was better. But now I prefer coronas over the big RG smokes.
[Reply]
Bleez 08:09 PM 07-03-2013
You found the flavors muted...you're putting them down to mellow out...

You want mute squared?..or are you hoping they gain strength/flaaaavaaaa after acclimating...?...
[Reply]
equetefue 08:10 PM 07-03-2013
They might have been over humidified n some resting will yield results closer to what you were expecting
[Reply]
badbriar 08:26 PM 07-03-2013
Hey there, Edwin. After the 4th weekends pass, let's see if we can get a herf going at one of the area cigar shops. Found a couple of good little places in Altamonte & Kissimmee that are open Sundays. Or, Ol Times on 436 for most any other day. Know you like Coronas on Sandlake, so could even do that one. I'm out of town till next Tuesday, so like to do it some after that. See what your schedule looks like.
RR
[Reply]
bretted432 09:21 PM 07-03-2013
Honestly, I bet SOME people can tell the difference, but I simply, for the life of me, have not detected a taste difference in double-blind test scenario.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 10:03 PM 07-03-2013
Most think that a fat cigar offers more flavor (and manufacturers have perpetuated this imo and have dramatically upped prices for jawbreakers in recent years) but I would have to argue the opposite.

My palate is not the best but I can taste the difference. Not only is it about the wrapper/filler ratio but the concentration of the blend in a smaller rg. In the jawbreakers, more useless filler is added to make it fat and I find the flavors get watered down, if you will.

I also think it's a way for the makers to use alot of the lesser grade baccy's they can purchase inexpensively and have on hand and as I mentioned, sell for a premium.

With that said, in your case, I think you need to let the cigars settle for a bit and try another as alot of cigars stored at or near the so-called perfect 70% rh mutes flavors.

:-)
[Reply]
maninblack 10:06 PM 07-03-2013
To me there is a big difference in smaller smokes compared to larger ones. I used to like big ones but found out I was missing out on alot of flavors after smoking smaller ones. Glad I made the switch.
[Reply]
Lurchy 06:07 PM 07-07-2013
I'm new to cigars but had one the other day and can't find anymore acid wafe. Day Did they discontinue those?
[Reply]
Zane 06:08 PM 07-07-2013
Originally Posted by Lurchy:
I'm new to cigars but had one the other day and can't find anymore acid wafe. Day Did they discontinue those?
Welcome. Google is your friend.

http://www.famous-smoke.com/acid+wafe+cigars/item+23650
[Reply]
RevSmoke 06:21 PM 07-07-2013
I have found different flavors in different ring gauges of all sorts of cigars.

DPG Black - I like the Perla the best, the bigger ring gauges don't appeal as much.

Same is true in the Tatuaje.

On the other hand, I like bigger ring gauge in Coronados and Litto Gomez Diez cigars.

And then there are other lines where I do not notice much of a difference at all.
[Reply]
Gabe215 07:13 PM 07-07-2013
Lanceros are my fav size cigar to smoke! Very rarely will I smoke anything over a 50 RG
[Reply]
DaBear 07:55 AM 07-08-2013
I think a bit also has to do with the size the blend is blended to. Most blenders have a favorite size that they have their initial test blends made in. Typically a robusto or corona, and those sizes tend to have very noticable difference from any other size the blend is made in. ie, La Sirenas were blended to the Sea Sprite/corona size, theres actually a quite noticable difference between any of the others and the Sea Sprite. Granted, that doesn't always mean its the best size, as all of our tastes are subjective.
[Reply]
shopkins82 08:48 AM 07-08-2013
I've never been one to notice differences in the same stick in the same or similar ring gauge but different lengths/shapes (for example a 5x50 Robusto vs. a 6x52 Torpedo, 7 x 48 Churchill, etc) other than than in the last 1" or so when heat and harshness/bitterness start to build... and even then, the main difference is (hello captain obvious) how long it takes to get to that point.

On the other hand, I do tend to notice the impact of LARGE changes in ring gauge (i.e. 5x50 Robusto vs. 6x60, etc). Again, to my pallet, the difference comes down to heat more so than flavor profile with the larger vitolas burning cooler and smoother for the duration of the smoke.
[Reply]
equetefue 08:53 AM 07-08-2013
Originally Posted by badbriar:
Hey there, Edwin. After the 4th weekends pass, let's see if we can get a herf going at one of the area cigar shops. Found a couple of good little places in Altamonte & Kissimmee that are open Sundays. Or, Ol Times on 436 for most any other day. Know you like Coronas on Sandlake, so could even do that one. I'm out of town till next Tuesday, so like to do it some after that. See what your schedule looks like.
RR
PM sent
[Reply]
czerbe 10:01 AM 07-08-2013
If you ask my wife it does..... oh... wait... um... (darn these Thread Titles...):-)
[Reply]
Lockspur 03:09 PM 07-08-2013
I've experienced flavor changes between a robusto and toro of the Pepin Blue. The toro was "peppier"...like licking a pepper grinder. The robusto, not so much.

Asides from my experiences, I've HEARD that bigger RG's give you more flavor, but to me the wrapper is a vital part of the equation. Having a huge RG will lessen the wrappers impact on the final flavor, AND sometimes requires more effort to keep it burning right. :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up