Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Good Eats>My new project, I am building a smoker!
Smokin Gator 08:33 AM 03-19-2010
It looks killer brother!!!

A couple of tips...

-Don't use your exhaust to control the temp. Leave them all open and control the temp with your intakes only. You will have much cleaner smoke that way. Most of the time I would have one intake open and the ball valve about half way open to keep it chugging at 225.

-Find a metal coffee can... the large size. Cut out the top and bottom. Put the coffee can in the middle of your charcoal grate. Fill up the ring around the coffee can. Light about a half of a chimney of coals. Once they are ready pour them in the coffee can. Live the coffee can out (be careful... us really long tongs or welders gloves). You will have a perfect Minion method!!!

-If you notice your temps dropping a bit give the drum a shake. This really only comes in the play on long cooks, but sometimes the ash needs a little help to fall through the grate.

-Cook some pork, I would do a pork butt if I had the time or fatties if I needed to do something quicker, to season the drum. Nothing seasons like pork fat!!!

Enjoy your cooker... once you get used to it you will be amazed at what a great cooker they are.
[Reply]
kgoings 09:28 AM 03-19-2010
I know everyone is telling me to do pork butt, but I think I want to do ribs. Still haven't decided yet.
[Reply]
tuxpuff 09:46 AM 03-19-2010
Do it! Ribs are also easy. I rub them the night before with a brown sugar based rub...smoke them for about 2 or 3 hours...wrap them in foil and stick them back in the smoker for another 2 hours or so...take them out of the foil and slap them full of bbq sauce and stick them on a hot grill to slightly char up. Fall off the bone goodness :-)
[Reply]
kgoings 01:58 PM 03-19-2010
Got the rub on the ribs, and the smoker is a seasoning! An I bought a pork butt for Sunday!
[Reply]
T.G 02:02 PM 03-19-2010
Sounds good!

What did you end up doing for temprature monitoring?
[Reply]
kgoings 02:04 PM 03-19-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
Sounds good!

What did you end up doing for temprature monitoring?
I have a thermometer for my fryer that I am using, want to get the dual probe digital kind so I can monitor the meat and the chamber...analog for now
[Reply]
kgoings 09:24 PM 03-19-2010
My first attempt at smoking meat. It didnt get finished in time for dinner so I put it in the oven for 20 minutes to cook it to a safe temp.

[Reply]
T.G 09:44 PM 03-19-2010
Looks good. :-)

No crime or shame about putting it in an oven to finish. A large number of restaurants do that all the time.

How did it taste?
[Reply]
eber 08:16 AM 03-20-2010
looks good, I usually smoke my ribs for about 3 hours then put them in foil with a little apple juice and finish them in the oven
[Reply]
kgoings 08:50 AM 03-20-2010
Tasted good, but they were a bit dry. Not sure if that could be due to the quality of meat...every place in town was out of spare and bb ribs cause there is a bbq competition today. I got them at a place I usually don't shop.
[Reply]
T.G 09:24 AM 03-20-2010
Originally Posted by kgoings:
Tasted good, but they were a bit dry. Not sure if that could be due to the quality of meat...every place in town was out of spare and bb ribs cause there is a bbq competition today. I got them at a place I usually don't shop.
That is a possibility.
[Reply]
wayner123 11:43 AM 03-21-2010
Hey,

I got mine up an running as well! I put a basic fattie on last night and within 3 hours pulled it off and sampled. The wife was amazed, and now after tasting it, she asks what are you doing next with a gleeful expression.

I'll post pics later. Mine truly puts the UGLY in UDS.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 07:32 PM 03-21-2010
Originally Posted by wayner123:
Mine truly puts the UGLY in UDS.
:-):-):-)

If it cooks, it cooks!!!

A fatty is hard to beat huh!! Plus, if you think it was good today wait until you taste a slice tomorrow on a bisquit!!
[Reply]
wayner123 06:49 PM 03-23-2010
Here is mine:

That weber kettle lid was a bomb of sorts from Smokin Gator, THANK YOU once again :-)

I plan to make a hole for a 12" Turkey fryer thermometer, but for now my probe model through one of the exhaust holes works well. Also in the future I may do another grate to take advantage of the kettle lid.
[Reply]
OLS 09:40 AM 04-16-2010
Originally Posted by wayner123:
Here is mine:
That weber kettle lid was a bomb of sorts from Smokin Gator,
When I was a kid, I would NEVER let my mother pass a turtle on the road, and bless her heart,
she would always pull over for me.
Now I am a man, and I NEVER EVER pass a grill lid that has flown out of somebody's truck, LOL.
Getting one that big is like finding a tortoise!
[Reply]
fxpose 03:01 PM 07-19-2011
I know this is an old thread but I'm happy to report that I'm almost done with my UDS build. First cook this Sat. :-)))
[Reply]
kgoings 03:08 PM 07-19-2011
Originally Posted by fxpose:
I know this is an old thread but I'm happy to report that I'm almost done with my UDS build. First cook this Sat. :-)))
:-):-) Good Luck!!
[Reply]
ucla695 03:27 PM 07-19-2011
Originally Posted by fxpose:
Be sure to post pics George. :-)
[Reply]
fxpose 03:41 PM 07-19-2011
Originally Posted by ucla695:
Be sure to post pics George. :-)
Oh I will, when done.....it just needs a couple more things, mainly a charcoal basket. I'm just waiting on the 48" x 48" expanded metal I ordered from Amazon. I should get that tomorrow. Then I'll season the UDS before my first cook.
You'll probably be able to see it in action if you happen to stop by at Park Drive Smokehouse this Sat. :-)
[Reply]
fxpose 10:36 AM 07-20-2011
Here's what I've got so far. I will get it real dirty this Sat....:-)
Attached: P1060075.jpg (100.7 KB) P1060074.jpg (108.3 KB) 
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up