Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Wedding gift 'gars
shortbus 09:02 PM 04-23-2011
I need some guidance here. I'm starting to look into cigars to gift my soon to be brother in law. He's a casual smoker; mooches off me a couple times a year. He will be more impressed with the presentation than the smoke itself. Right now I'm leaning toward a box of CAO Vision. I also thought about maybe a box of Oliva V Maduros, but those may be a bit advanced for the guy. Any other suggestions?
[Reply]
pnoon 09:06 PM 04-23-2011
Originally Posted by shortbus:
I need some guidance here. I'm starting to look into cigars to gift my soon to be brother in law. He's a casual smoker; mooches off me a couple times a year. He will be more impressed with the presentation than the smoke itself. Right now I'm leaning toward a box of CAO Vision. I also thought about maybe a box of Oliva V Maduros, but those may be a bit advanced for the guy. Any other suggestions?
If that is the case, tubos are the answer.
:-)
[Reply]
shortbus 09:13 PM 04-23-2011
Originally Posted by pnoon:

I actually thought about giving him a box of AVO tubos. You know, the ones that look like, umm, marital aids. I thought that would make for an uncomfortable moment at the reception.:-)
[Reply]
Aero95 09:14 PM 04-23-2011
:-) Or maybe a travel box with a few different cigars he can try.
[Reply]
shortbus 09:30 PM 04-23-2011
Originally Posted by aero95:
Good thought for the honeymoon.
[Reply]
forgop 09:43 PM 04-23-2011
It's just me, but I wouldn't give Oliva V's to a casual smoker. The V's are a pretty full-bodied smoke and likely to make the casual/inexperienced smoker feel sick. :-)
[Reply]
Ranger_B 11:24 PM 04-23-2011
You could also look at the La Gloria Cubana Artesansos de Obelisco. Not sure if there are any left in full boxes but its not a bad smoke and the packaging is top notch. Congrats on the wedding.
[Reply]
CasaDooley 12:50 AM 04-24-2011
:-) Peter is wise! :-)
Lots of good mild to medium cigars in tubes available. :-)
[Reply]
Kreth 06:59 AM 04-24-2011
Good suggestion. :-)
I'm biased, as they're my favorite smokes, but Kristoffs have a pretty good presentation. They come in rough-cut boxes, packed in loose tobacco. They also have a pigtail and shaggy foot. For a casual smoker, the criollo or regular maduro would probably be a good choice. Of course, if you go with a box, then he'll need a humi... :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Aero95 08:20 AM 04-24-2011
Originally Posted by Kreth:
Good suggestion. :-)
I'm biased, as they're my favorite smokes, but Kristoffs have a pretty good presentation. They come in rough-cut boxes, packed in loose tobacco. They also have a pigtail and shaggy foot. For a casual smoker, the criollo or regular maduro would probably be a good choice. Of course, if you go with a box, then he'll need a humi... :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
Funny you say that. I was trying to remember what brand had the loose leaf tobacco and forgot it was Kristoff :-)
[Reply]
BTcigars 03:36 PM 04-24-2011
Funny you say that. I was trying to remember what brand had the loose leaf tobacco and forgot it was Kristoff :-)
If you want to go with a loose leaf presentation, go with Kristoff if you like the guy and if you don't, Acid :-)
[Reply]
Bill86 12:39 PM 04-30-2011
Probably not the best idea to put sources for CC's in an open forum.
[Reply]
Tyler 12:44 PM 04-30-2011
They only have two posts and no trader feedback and joined this month. Wonder how reliable it would be anyway?
[Reply]
pnoon 12:51 PM 04-30-2011
Originally Posted by Bill86:
Probably not the best idea to put sources for CC's in an open forum.
Sage advice as it is against CA rules. (And it looks like James has realized his misstep and deleted the post)
Originally Posted by Wallbright:
They only have two posts and no trader feedback and joined this month. Wonder how reliable it would be anyway?
How you can jump to this conclusion is beyond me.
Silly to assume that someone new to CA has zero knowledge of and experience with cigars. Also, there are members here with tons of posts and substantial TF who don't know much.
[Reply]
jesseboston81 12:53 PM 04-30-2011
Also, there are members here with tons of posts and substantial TF who don't know much.
<------------------------ This guy; don't trust a thing that I say. :-)

</threadjack>
[Reply]
JArnoldRoss 12:54 PM 04-30-2011
Sorry about that post, didn't take a good look at the rules!
Real shame on the lack of discussion of Cuban Cigars.
Still a great Cigar Shop, make sure you visit it if you're ever in Victoria.

The embargo on Cuban Cigars is absolute non-sense. I have no qualms about ignoring unjust laws that only benefit the few (JFK received 500 H. Uppmann No. 2's before signing the embargo). If this was 1922 you're damned right I would be sipping on some Canadian Rye! Prohibition in any form is wrong.
[Reply]
Bill86 12:55 PM 04-30-2011
Sage advice as it is against CA rules. (And it looks like James has realized his misstep and deleted the post)

Silly to assume that someone new to CA has zero knowledge of and experience with cigars. Also, there are members here with tons of posts and substantial TF who don't know much.
I did report it so one of you guys could delete it. Not sure if that was the case but yeah.

I agree with Pnoon. Post count means nothing. There are plenty of people here with less posts that know much more than me. I just apparently have more free time :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 12:59 PM 04-30-2011
Originally Posted by JArnoldRoss:
Sorry about that post, didn't take a good look at the rules!
Real shame on the lack of discussion of Cuban Cigars.
Still a great Cigar Shop, make sure you visit it if you're ever in Victoria.

The embargo on Cuban Cigars is absolute non-sense. I have no qualms about ignoring unjust laws that only benefit the few (JFK received 500 H. Uppmann No. 2's before signing the embargo). If this was 1922 you're damned right I would be sipping on some Canadian Rye! Prohibition in any form is wrong.
James.
The rules allow discussion of Cuban cigars. We have sub-forums that are accessible to members after they join and participate for a while.
What we don't allow is the discussion of and posting links of vendors that sell Cuban cigars. It is pretty much spelled out in our rules.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or any of the other admins. Our user names are red.
[Reply]
icehog3 01:23 PM 04-30-2011
there are members here with tons of posts and substantial TF who don't know much.
[Reply]
Tyler 01:45 PM 04-30-2011

Sorry Peter. I just saw it was his second post and I have had problems in other forums with people posting up spam info casually in threads. I guess I jumped to conclusions way too fast. I apologize to everyone for the quick judgment.

To lighten to mood, I guess I could use a tool such as this "Jump To Conclusions" mat from Office Space next time.

[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up