Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Seconds?
Jstone 08:15 PM 04-14-2011
I've often seen seconds, or, cigars with mild manufacturer defects sold for a steal. Has anyone ever purchased a batch of these? If so, what was your experience?
[Reply]
jmsremax 08:17 PM 04-14-2011
If you like Fuente smokes check out Tampa Sweethearts. They are rolled by their apprentices.

http://www.tampasweetheart.com/
[Reply]
Bill86 08:21 PM 04-14-2011
I think one of my first purchases was a 15 bundle of MoW seconds (lonsdales if IIRC, somewhere buried). I was just starting out and it's hard to argue with $2.50 a piece Lonsdales.

I found they look the same as any other MoW I've seen and smoked just fine. In fact now that I think about it I'll bring one out to smoke tomorrow.

I just pulled one out now and it's probably 8.5/10 for construction. The cap is not perfect and it's got a one decently toothy vein. I mean for the non sale price of $2.50-$2.75 a piece I'd say go for it. They aren't banded but I could really care less.
[Reply]
Stinky 08:28 PM 04-14-2011
Hand Made Cigars with all natural tobaccos will always have a certain percentage of "seconds" that just don't . . . measure up . . . make the grade . . . cut-the-mustard . . . meet-the-standards, etc.

However, true 'seconds' are made from the same tobaccos, by the same rollers and most certainly taste and smoke the same.

Some so called 'seconds' are actually made by apprentice rollers and the tobaccos they use are not always the best "select" grades. Policies are different in each company. A true 'second' is typically a rejected finish product.

JMHO based on my personal research.
[Reply]
wayner123 08:23 AM 04-15-2011
Here is a previous thread that has a bunch of recommendations:

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...hlight=second*

I personally have enjoyed seconds, and for the first 5 or so years of smoking cigars, that was pretty much all I smoked. L. Lynn is a great place to buy seconds as he has pretty much everyone of them.
[Reply]
floydpink 08:36 AM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by jmsremax:
If you like Fuente smokes check out Tampa Sweethearts. They are rolled by their apprentices.

http://www.tampasweetheart.com/
I love Tampa Sweethearts.

Plus, being near Tampa, I get them in 24 hours from ordering them.

I used to bid on Rocky Patel vintage seconds all the time on Cbid, but haven't in a long time.
[Reply]
Brutus2600 08:41 AM 04-15-2011
What is your favorite size in the Tampa Sweethearts?
[Reply]
floydpink 08:45 AM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by Brutus2600:
I like the 500 maduro personally.
[Reply]
T.G 08:49 AM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by Brutus2600:
about 5'7" & 36-26-34

...oh, wait, you meant cigars...
[Reply]
pektel 09:03 AM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by T.G:
about 5'7" & 36-26-34

:-)
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 09:06 AM 04-15-2011
about 5'7" & 36-26-34

:-) you're on a roll lately buddy!
[Reply]
jmsremax 09:11 AM 04-15-2011
about 5'7" & 36-26-34

:-)

I also love the avatar
[Reply]
Chemyst 08:11 PM 04-15-2011
I used to buy the RP X-Out 'C' from CBid, but
they haven't carried them lately.

Saw them at Thompson, iirc, for 50% more than
the usual auction winning bid.

Xlnt deal for $2.50-$2.75 ea. Compared to $8 msrp
for first quality.

They always smoked and tasted swell.

Chemyst :-)
[Reply]
Bill86 08:23 PM 04-15-2011
about 5'7" & 36-26-34

:-) Sounds good! :-)
[Reply]
jjirons69 11:18 AM 04-18-2011
Originally Posted by floydpink:
I love Tampa Sweethearts.

I used to bid on Rocky Patel vintage seconds all the time on Cbid, but haven't in a long time.
:-) and :-)

Nothing wrong with either of these.
[Reply]
Starscream 12:23 PM 04-18-2011
I probably smoke more seconds than anything else. I'm cheap.:-)

There are those who smoke exclusively Cuban cigars on this site, as well as those who smoke primarily high end smokes. There are also those who smoke primarily cheap smokes. I smoke some of all of them. That's what makes this board great. People from all ends of the spectrum.

Most seconds are indistinguishable from the real thing, although that's not always the case.
[Reply]
mfarre03 02:10 AM 04-21-2011
I have had good luck with the Rocky Patel seconds, just a great cigar. It looks like I will order some Tampa Sweethearts. I didn't see a fiver listed for them, does anyone know if they offer a pack or singles? What about the Fumadores, are they a heavier smoke?

Did I mention I love this forum? lol
[Reply]
Kreth 07:46 AM 04-21-2011
Originally Posted by mfarre03:
I have had good luck with the Rocky Patel seconds, just a great cigar. It looks like I will order some Tampa Sweethearts. I didn't see a fiver listed for them, does anyone know if they offer a pack or singles? What about the Fumadores, are they a heavier smoke?

Did I mention I love this forum? lol
I can't comment on the Tampa Sweethearts but the Fumadores are decent smokes. I'd call them a medium. If you like other DPG sticks, you'll probably like them.
Another second I like is the Alec Bradley Supervisor Selection from Famous. If you check the vitolas, they match up with the Maxx. I smoked my way through a couple bundles of them on the golf course last year. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
nofeardiver 08:09 AM 04-21-2011
well crap i live in lakeland, never heard of Tampa Sweethearts till today, cant wait to check that out... Where do you get the Fumadores from? i love DPG cigars...
[Reply]
Kreth 08:21 AM 04-21-2011
Originally Posted by nofeardiver:
Where do you get the Fumadores from? i love DPG cigars...
Holt's has them.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up