< 12
General Discussion>Boosting wireless internet signal
Kreth 06:44 AM 07-19-2011
Originally Posted by Silound:
Here's a rundown of your options (and I added a note difficulty and knowledge):
Great post, except for this:
Originally Posted by :
you can pay Best Buy to come do it via Geek Squad
I wouldn't trust Geek Squad to install a mouse pad... :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:46 AM 07-19-2011
Originally Posted by Kreth:
Great post, except for this:

I wouldn't trust Geek Squad to install a mouse pad... :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
As with any big business there are good people and not-so-good people.

Some of the Geek Squad people around here (Portland Metro Area) are pretty good -- especially compared to the other options...
[Reply]
357 10:46 AM 07-19-2011
Originally Posted by Kneo:
DD-WRT is awesome. Just because not to set your wireless strength to high. I found that out the hard way and burnt out a router:-)
You can do it, but only if you want to add some sort of more effective cooling to it. Running at 100% power output will cook the hardware. It also causes problems at shorter ranges.

I am a DD-WRT fan too. I highly recommend it.
[Reply]
WyoBob 07:58 AM 07-22-2011
My wireless G's signal was low by the time it got to my shop so I recently bought a "D Link" that uses the house wiring. My old laptop's speed is now 8 megs instead of 2.5. The downside is that the laptop is "hard wired" but the laptop stays in one place. I think you can use the D link to power another wireless router.

WyoBob
[Reply]
waffle 08:21 AM 07-22-2011
Originally Posted by 357:
You can do it, but only if you want to add some sort of more effective cooling to it. Running at 100% power output will cook the hardware. It also causes problems at shorter ranges.

I am a DD-WRT fan too. I highly recommend it.
:-) I only install DD-WRT routers in friends & family's house. It makes it easier for me to work on, I can give them greater configuration and I'm rocking a 3 AP setup at my house... 2 purely N and 1 for all the stragglers... My neighbor throws me a 20 a month to piggyback (thats how strong my network is) and I'm in about the same size pad as you.
[Reply]
GolfNut 08:58 AM 07-22-2011
I actually downloaded the dd-wrt file for my router, started reading how to do it and it gave me a headache. I HATE wireless network stuff. One day if I actually have 4 hours (it seems) to dedicate to mind bruising computer geek work, I might try it. It would be nice to get the extra range and solve the router drop issues.
[Reply]
waffle 10:08 AM 07-22-2011
its really not that bad... its written to scare you and not in so much common sense, but really its just pushing firmware updates... and then LOADS of configurability.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up