Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
General Discussion>Three Redtail Hawks
DPD6030 09:54 AM 07-19-2011
Well I can see you don't have a rodent problem :-) Great looking hawks. :-)
[Reply]
taltos 07:48 PM 07-19-2011
I would agree with juvenile Cooper's Hawk but the breast and tail markings are consistent with a juvenile Red Tailed Hawk. Looks too small for a Red Tailed.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 09:03 PM 07-19-2011
After reading my giant Eagles, Hawks & Falcons of the World book I'm ready to pin this down to juvenile Cooper's Hawk. The three bands with the white tip on the tail and the dark brown coloring above nailed it. J. Red Tails have seven light bands and lighter coloring above.
[Reply]
designwise1 09:11 PM 07-19-2011
The American Bald Eagle has made quite a comeback here in the Ozarks. It's almost become commonplace when you start seeing them every day. My son got a few good photos earlier this year when one flew directly in front of him just as he finished setting up his tripod at the Buffalo River.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 09:34 PM 07-19-2011
Originally Posted by designwise1:
The American Bald Eagle has made quite a comeback here in the Ozarks. It's almost become commonplace when you start seeing them every day. My son got a few good photos earlier this year when one flew directly in front of him just as he finished setting up his tripod at the Buffalo River.
Out here too.
[Reply]
WyoBob 07:48 AM 07-22-2011
I got close enough once that I could have touched a Redtail.

I was checking the 18 windmills on my ranch (in south central NE) in my 90 hp Super Cub. We had lots of Red Tails and I was always on the lookout for them when flying. I missed the one that passed between the fuselage/wing and strut. I was flying with the door open (naturally) and could have reached out and touched him (although not something you'd want to do at 90 mph.)

To say the "pucker factor" was at the max is an understatement:-)

WyoBob
[Reply]
shilala 08:30 AM 07-22-2011
Nice pics, Dave!!! :-)
We did't have redtails around DuBois, we had Cooper's. They're a bit smaller.
My XMIL was out feeding her favorite little chicken at her feet one day. One second there was something to feed, the next, just a couple feathers floating in the air.
That's gotta be a bit shocking. I never thought they were so bold.
[Reply]
SNKBYT 09:02 AM 07-22-2011
bub, nice looking bird....hopefully they stick around awhile
[Reply]
Cornrow_Wallis 09:24 AM 07-22-2011
Nice pictures. I love watching those birds hunt.

We've got a couple coopers hawks and an osprey that hang out around my back yard. The osprey is a big mofo. One of the coopers chased a dove straight into my living room window last week. :-)

Anyways, I agree with the above posters that have been saying Coopers Hawks. Comparison pic.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mountainpath/59212657/
[Reply]
Mr B 09:40 AM 07-22-2011
Hawks in the back yard, thats awesome. We have a huge owl living in the small grove of Redwoods next to my house. We usually dont see him until almost dark, but I always get scared when my daughter has her little bunny hopping around the lawn for some excercise.

:-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up