Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 12 of 270
« First < 2101112 13142262112 > Last »
Good Eats>What's in your smoker?
T.G 01:59 PM 02-22-2010
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Cowboy is actually good for grilling. It burns pretty hot, lasts just long enough and there's not much ash. I touch of chips and you get a nice finished product. For sure it is not for the smoker.
If it works for you that's great, but I'm hesitant to use it since it seems to be very poorly sorted recycled lumber. I know I once pulled a nail or two out of a bag of what was being sold as lump, and I'm pretty sure it was a bag of cowboy, but there is a small chance that it was another brand I wouldn't normally use (got caught somewhere and needed a bag, couldn't get what I wanted, so bought what they had).

I'm also not big on adding chips when grilling if I can avoid it. Just a personal preference really. Much rather have a nice clean hot fire/coals, plenty of flavor there if the wood was good. Cowboy seems to have very little flavor.

Personally, I'd go with Royal Oak brand lump for a quick grill if I can't get or don't want the Lazzari mesquite - I can get it at any wal-mart (at least out here), burns nice, has good flavor, and it's not made from kiln-dried scrap and recycled junk.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 02:12 PM 02-22-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
If it works for you that's great, but I'm hesitant to use it since it seems to be very poorly sorted recycled lumber.

I'm also not big on adding chips when grilling if I can avoid it. Just a personal preference really. Much rather have a nice clean hot fire/coals, plenty of flavor there if the wood was good. Cowboy seems to have very little flavor.
I think Cowboy is flooring scraps from the Factory, so there should be no nails. I get some Brazilian charcoal locally that is nice for grilling but is a pain to get going.

I do not add chips when grilling except for Alder when needed. Just throwing the idea out there if you wanted more smoke
[Reply]
T.G 02:52 PM 02-22-2010
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
I think Cowboy is flooring scraps from the Factory, so there should be no nails. I get some Brazilian charcoal locally that is nice for grilling but is a pain to get going.

I do not add chips when grilling except for Alder when needed. Just throwing the idea out there if you wanted more smoke
As I said, not 100% sure it was cowboy that I found the nail in.

Regardless, cowboy is still flavorless junk made from kiln dried scrap to me and I won't use it (and judging by commentary a number of places elsewhere, that seems to be a fairly comment sentiment). I can get better for less money elsewhere.

And Lazzari is never a problem since their entire operations is right out here in the bay area. You used to be able to, and I believe you still can, just drive up to the factory and buy in bulk (like shovel the stuff into the bed of a pickup truck bulk) at a very low rate. You used to even be able to get some woods that they don't distribute commercially, or only very limited distro.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 03:07 PM 02-22-2010
Shoveling charcoal is like a dream! Wow.
[Reply]
tuxpuff 10:05 AM 02-24-2010
Probably the last cold night in town so I started a fire and smoked some chicken quarters fireside with the last of my oak logs...with SmokinGators rub.

[Reply]
LooseCard 11:24 AM 02-25-2010
You guys are killin me!

I really need to clean mine out and cook something... :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 02:24 PM 02-25-2010
Originally Posted by tuxpuff:

Wow, now that is doing it old school! Did you just leave it there or constantly turn it? What about a drip pan? Was that indoors?

I have seen fireplaces with chickens or wound cord spinning in front of the fire, but not this!
[Reply]
tuxpuff 02:58 PM 02-25-2010
It's indoors. I turn it every 5 minutes or so....or when I hear it sizzling too much. It's pretty easy to find good temperature spots. No drip pan either...at the end I just cover up the grease areas with the ash...soaks it right up. It turns out pretty darn good I must say!
[Reply]
kydsid 08:56 AM 02-26-2010
Anyone ever smoked chicken drumsticks, like used in hot wings? Any tips or recipes if you have would be cool.
[Reply]
tuxpuff 09:17 AM 02-26-2010
Originally Posted by kydsid:
Anyone ever smoked chicken drumsticks, like used in hot wings? Any tips or recipes if you have would be cool.
SmokinGator posted a recipe...I've tried them and they are terrific!

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20093
[Reply]
Steve 09:20 AM 02-26-2010
Originally Posted by tuxpuff:
SmokinGator posted a recipe...I've tried them and they are terrific!

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20093
He beat me to it...

(btw, just a word to the wise, anytime Brent (SmokinGator) posts a recipe, it's well worth trying out :-))
[Reply]
kydsid 09:24 AM 02-26-2010
That is a great recipe. But he used real wings for that, will little drumsticks work too? Probably just less time to cook. Hmmm
[Reply]
T.G 09:26 AM 02-26-2010
Do you mean smoke drumsticks and coat them as if they were chicken hot wings?

You can do it, but they won't be much like hot wings - too large and the meat is a stronger flavor, is much tougher, has more connective tissue that needs to break down plus it's greasy to boot. The attraction to hot wings is because because they are small (high sauce & crisped skin to meat ratio), have a very clean flavor, rather tender, have very little connective tissues that need a long cook to break down, so they can be cooked and crisped quickly.

Gator's recipe for smoked wings is kick-ass:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...ighlight=wings
[Reply]
kydsid 09:52 AM 02-26-2010
No I mean drumsticks the same size as you would get from Hooters or any other restaurant when you order hot wings. They were on sale at the store last night. 50 of em for $2.50. :-)
[Reply]
T.G 09:59 AM 02-26-2010
No I mean drumsticks the same size as you would get from Hooters or any other restaurant when you order hot wings. They were on sale at the store last night. 50 of em for $2.50. :-)
Those aren't drumsticks, those are drumettes. A drumstick is the upper part of the leg, the drumette is the fleshy inner (proximal or "upper") part of the wing. Gator's recipe will do wonders with those.

Damn nice price BTW...
[Reply]
Mr B 10:16 AM 02-26-2010

We knew what you meant. :-)
[Reply]
TheRiddick 11:53 AM 02-26-2010
OK, looks like a great recipe, only one question. What kind of weight are we talking about here? 2-3 pounds? And if one wants to do more than that, do I increase initial smoking time from 2.5 hours to ____?
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 11:59 AM 02-26-2010
In general, no one "smokes chicken". but they cook chicken in smokers. 225 is not enough to get the skin crispy. Ok, after the technical difference, I just crank the smoker up to 350+ and use the same recipes as would be in an oven.

I like to buy chicken quarters and remove the thigh bone so I have a real meaty drummy. I mix crushed garlic, oregano, curry powder, paprika, salt & pepper, and olive oil into a very thin paste. Stuff paste under the skin and baste a little on the outside. Throw in smoker until done
[Reply]
T.G 12:08 PM 02-26-2010
Originally Posted by TheRiddick:
OK, looks like a great recipe, only one question. What kind of weight are we talking about here? 2-3 pounds? And if one wants to do more than that, do I increase initial smoking time from 2.5 hours to ____?
Doesn't matter what the weight is, cooking / smoking time is the same regardless because the size / individual weight of the pieces being cooked isn't changing, just the quantity being cooked is changing. Just as long as there is some space around them and you keep the pit temperature at the recommended settings, nothing changes.

Unless you have them crammed in there like sardines - in which case you will need more time, and the contact will prevent the smoke from flavoring; although most likely, you'll just burn the outside wings and have raw ones at the center of the pile.
[Reply]
tuxpuff 12:38 PM 03-01-2010
SmokinGators smoked wings again. Didn't have stuff for the dry rub after the cooking so just threw it in some wet hot sauce...not as tasty as the dry but still darn good.

[Reply]
Page 12 of 270
« First < 2101112 13142262112 > Last »
Up