Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 101 of 270
« First < 519199100101 102103111151201 > Last »
Good Eats>What's in your smoker?
OLS 07:13 PM 05-03-2011
Peter, I have determined to my mind that there are three factors...high sugar content in the rub,
Long and slow cook times, and Temps over 225 degrees. But I like what MarkinCA says, Adam knows best, lol.
[Reply]
T.G 07:30 PM 05-03-2011
Originally Posted by pnoon:
So I have a question for the experienced (food) smokers here. What does it take to get that really dark crunchy bark? Is it a really thick layer of rub? Higher temps? Longer smoking? A combination of the above? Something else I'm missing?
BBQ is one of those things where everyone eventually develops their own style and technique for this and many other things since we all cook a bit differently and prefer different combinations of ingredients and methods and individual pits work and behave differently.

For me, it can be a garlic paste coating (on lamb for example), or a heavier coating of rub - the rub having some brown sugar in it and no salt, so I can get away with this. That and 230F-240F pit with some smoke and that's about it for me. I hardly ever baste or mop.

Personally, I think Brad, gator and Luke get better looking barks than I do most of the time, so take my advice for what it's worth.

Traegers burn very clean, so you might never see a super dark bark.

Another thing to keep in mind is that these photos might not be representing the color correctly. A lot of the food I take pictures of looks darker on the screen than it actually is (or at least on my monitors - which might or might not be properly calibrated).

BTW - I've had dark crunchy bark that looked great but when you bit into it, it was due to oversmoking or overtemp and was bitter and nasty, so ehhh.
[Reply]
T.G 07:38 PM 05-03-2011
Originally Posted by MarkinCA:
Wet rub prior to closing the grill cover to kick things off. Basically, Worcestershire sauce liberally sprinkled on top, followed by a handful or two of dry rub thrown on top and rubbed in to it forms a paste. The meat is turned over and the same is applied to that side. Its rather pasty looking on both sides, but taste dam good after its cooked!

If you go to www.texasbbqrub.com , its called the 1-2-3 method and appears to work:-)

Thanks - I've been doing something similar for some time, I just couldn't tell from the photo.
[Reply]
T.G 07:42 PM 05-03-2011
:-):-):-)

I don't know about best Brad, but I'd probably win the award for longest, technical and most boring answers.
[Reply]
pnoon 08:54 PM 05-03-2011
Wet rub prior to closing the grill cover to kick things off. Basically, Worcestershire sauce liberally sprinkled on top, followed by a handful or two of dry rub thrown on top and rubbed in to it forms a paste. The meat is turned over and the same is applied to that side. Its rather pasty looking on both sides, but taste dam good after its cooked!

If you go to www.texasbbqrub.com , its called the 1-2-3 method and appears to work:-)

That is the website and method I used for my first brisket. Winner!

fwiw - I didn't like the puddle when sprinkling Worcestershire so I put some in a spray bottle and it works really well. :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 09:01 PM 05-03-2011
Originally Posted by T.G:
BBQ is one of those things where everyone eventually develops their own style and technique for this and many other things since we all cook a bit differently and prefer different combinations of ingredients and methods and individual pits work and behave differently.

For me, it can be a garlic paste coating (on lamb for example), or a heavier coating of rub - the rub having some brown sugar in it and no salt, so I can get away with this. That and 230F-240F pit with some smoke and that's about it for me. I hardly ever baste or mop.

Personally, I think Brad, gator and Luke get better looking barks than I do most of the time, so take my advice for what it's worth.

Traegers burn very clean, so you might never see a super dark bark.

Another thing to keep in mind is that these photos might not be representing the color correctly. A lot of the food I take pictures of looks darker on the screen than it actually is (or at least on my monitors - which might or might not be properly calibrated).

BTW - I've had dark crunchy bark that looked great but when you bit into it, it was due to oversmoking or overtemp and was bitter and nasty, so ehhh.
Thanks, Adam.
That helps a lot.
[Reply]
Aero95 09:09 PM 05-03-2011

Bingo!! Though I have always waited a half hour after putting the meat on to spray it. Always comes out with a thick dark bark. Bourbon and Applejuice is my choice of spray.
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 10:30 PM 05-03-2011
I don't know about best Brad, but I'd probably win the award for longest, technical and most boring answers.
:-):-)

Originally Posted by aero95:
Bingo!! Though I have always waited a half hour after putting the meat on to spray it. Always comes out with a thick dark bark. Bourbon and Applejuice is my choice of spray.
So if I have a sprayer bottle Aaron, whats the ratio of bourbon to applejuice that you use?

[Reply]
Aero95 06:05 AM 05-04-2011
:-):-)

So if I have a sprayer bottle Aaron, whats the ratio of bourbon to applejuice that you use?

Mark 1 part Bourbon 2 parts apple juice. Though I usually just pour what I like.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 06:50 AM 05-04-2011
Maple and brown sugar bacon to go on the smoker this morning while I work. A little alder, and maybe some apple.
I may have to take my work out to the deck a bit anyway today with the actual pseudo-spring weather. 65 degrees is very exciting for a Minnesotan in early May.
[Reply]
cricky101 08:19 AM 05-04-2011
I didn't fire up the smoker, but I did make some chicken drumsticks on the Weber kettle last night. A few with Plowboy's Yardbird rub and a few with Plowboy's Jerk rub. Added a little cherry wood to the coals for some smokey flavor.

Cooked about 45 minutes indirect with the smoke and then over high heat for a few minutes to crisp up the skin.

I like cooking the drumsticks because from the time I start up the coals until it's time to eat, it's about the perfect amount of time for a cigar and a couple of beers :-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 08:28 AM 05-04-2011
Originally Posted by cricky101:
I didn't fire up the smoker, but I did make some chicken drumsticks on the Weber kettle last night. A few with Plowboy's Yardbird rub and a few with Plowboy's Jerk rub. Added a little cherry wood to the coals for some smokey flavor.

Cooked about 45 minutes indirect with the smoke and then over high heat for a few minutes to crisp up the skin.

I like cooking the drumsticks because from the time I start up the coals until it's time to eat, it's about the perfect amount of time for a cigar and a couple of beers :-)
Can't argue with this. Sounds good. :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 08:32 AM 05-04-2011
Pizza on the Traeger tonight. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Aero95 08:35 AM 05-04-2011
Posted via Mobile Device
:-) What do you plan on using.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 08:37 AM 05-04-2011
Posted via Mobile Device
Too bad you live so far away...
[Reply]
pnoon 09:26 PM 05-04-2011
Posted via Mobile Device
Homemade pizza dough w/tomato sauce, salami, black olive, shredded mozzarella, garlic powder, oregano, basil, red and black pepper.

before:

after:

[Reply]
Aero95 09:51 PM 05-04-2011
Homemade pizza dough w/tomato sauce, salami, black olive, shredded mozzarella, garlic powder, oregano, basil, red and black pepper.

before:

after:

Hope you made enough to share :-)
[Reply]
forgop 10:51 PM 05-04-2011
This brisket is taking forever right now.
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 12:28 AM 05-05-2011
Originally Posted by aero95:
Mark 1 part Bourbon 2 parts apple juice. Though I usually just pour what I like.
Thank you Aaron...

That does look simply delicious Pete:-) Did I mention that looks delicious?:-)

[Reply]
OLS 07:39 AM 05-05-2011
:-):-):-)

Ahh, but that's what people are LOOKING for, they WANT to have every little detail. You combine FIRE
and expensive meat and people don't like to jump into things blind like that. They want a manual, lol.

Like Adam said, pictures are tough, they are too black, too blue, to this, too that. I need to remember,
while the food is on the grate, to shoot it, cause that's the best place for me. I get inside and there
is FOIL in the photo, and not enough light in the kitchen to balance the outside color temp. It's a
whole thing. Well dammit, I am smoking me up some meatsziz this weekend, I have worked myself up
into a lather now, lol.

And not for nuttin, I think this is the best thread in the entirety of CA.
[Reply]
Page 101 of 270
« First < 519199100101 102103111151201 > Last »
Up