Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>1953 GE Freezer converted to "A" Humidor
docdoty 10:36 AM 06-23-2011
So about a year ago I decided to convert an old freezer or frideg to a humidor. I haden't been able to find one in good shape for a decent price until about a month ago when I purchased a 1953 GE upright freezer. This thing is huge and very heavy. I have wanted to convert one for a long time and wasn't sure how difficult it was going to be but it sounded sweet and I really wanted something unique that you can't just go and buy from somewhere.

I was going to start this thread a few weeks ago when I stripped the paint and got it ready by guting the interior but I decided to wait until I had it finished because I know how impatient you all are with pictures. Just kidding. I worked on it a little bit and then I had to get back to work so I stopped working on it until three days ago when I took off a few days from work and go the materials to finish the humidor.

The interior is lined with 1/4" spanish cedar, and the shelves are 3/4" spanish cedar. The fronts of all of the shelves are made of Purple Heart that has been oiled but not stained. I like the natural look of the wood. All of the shelves and the singles drawrs are on 100lb ball bearing full extension slide outs. I wanted to make it easier to access everything in the humidor.

The outside of the humidor is Flat black with white accent peices. I left all of the origional chrome on the freezer and I think that It turned out very good. The humidification system is one of Bob's from aristocrat humidors the "set and forget systems" I thought that It would be worth the money to buy one of his systems for this unit. So without further delay I will start to post pictures of my little project.

I guess the files are too big Im going to have to upload them to Photobucket.com and then you all can see them there. I wish that I could put them on the page but I dont know how to make them smaller so that they will fit.

Here are some photos taken from my phone since on ones from my camera are too big. I will post the link to photobucket where all the photos from start to finish are at once they finish uploading and I tag them all. I hope you guys and gals like what I have done.

Attached:
[Reply]
Tone-NY 10:42 AM 06-23-2011
Outstanding, congrats on the find and the conversion!
[Reply]
Drez 10:43 AM 06-23-2011
good work!! that looks very nice :-)
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 10:43 AM 06-23-2011
great choice, that is awesome!
[Reply]
icehog3 10:48 AM 06-23-2011
That's awesome, Justin! :-)
[Reply]
pektel 10:48 AM 06-23-2011
Looks great from what I can see!

Bigger pics would be awesome too :-)
[Reply]
issues 10:55 AM 06-23-2011
Can't wait to see the full size pics, from what I can see it looks amazing! :-)
[Reply]
Tyler 11:03 AM 06-23-2011
Looks like a hobbit took your pictures..... Just Kidding

Looks great! I can't wait to see the closer up ones but I can tell you did a great job on it.

:-)
[Reply]
DMK 11:08 AM 06-23-2011
OMG !! it's SO... Empty....:-)
[Reply]
docdoty 11:35 AM 06-23-2011
Here is the link to Photobucket where you can see some more of the photos of the project from start to finish. I will take some more later and post them.

http://s1112.photobucket.com/albums/...0GE%20Humidor/
[Reply]
N2 GOLD 11:56 AM 06-23-2011
Very nice & just like all old things that use to be made in the U.S.A it will last you forever... :-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
kaisersozei 12:34 PM 06-23-2011
I've been interested in converting something like this myself. Your renovation looks great :-) Couple questions--does the humidification system also do temperature control? Did you have to mess with any of the freezer's cooling or electrical stuff? And will you need any inside air circulation for something that big?
[Reply]
Volusianator 12:39 PM 06-23-2011
Would love to see pics of a size that you can really see. This thing looks amazing in small pics, that style of fridge is just awesome, get us some bigger pics please!
[Reply]
kgoings 01:03 PM 06-23-2011
Looks great! Are you doing temperature control??
[Reply]
Sherlockholms 01:09 PM 06-23-2011
Nice Justin it looks great! Any chance of getting some bigger pics?
[Reply]
docdoty 01:14 PM 06-23-2011
Originally Posted by Sherlockholms:
Nice Justin it looks great! Any chance of getting some bigger pics?
I posted A link to Some bigger pics on Photobucket. I will Edit the origional post so that it is there as well.

[Reply]
Sherlockholms 01:16 PM 06-23-2011
Originally Posted by docdoty:
I posted A link to Some bigger pics on Photobucket. I will Edit the origional post so that it is there as well.

My bad, I missed that post some how :-). Looking closer at it, it still looks great!
[Reply]
docdoty 01:17 PM 06-23-2011
Originally Posted by kgoings:
Looks great! Are you doing temperature control??
No Im not doing a temperature control. I talked to Bob from aristocrat about that and he said that because of the insulation inside it was not necessary to do for the cost that it would be.
[Reply]
docdoty 01:21 PM 06-23-2011
Originally Posted by kaisersozei:
I've been interested in converting something like this myself. Your renovation looks great :-) Couple questions--does the humidification system also do temperature control? Did you have to mess with any of the freezer's cooling or electrical stuff? And will you need any inside air circulation for something that big?
Thank you very much, The humidification system does not control the temp but you can get a system that will do this. I did have to mess with the electrical and cooling system before converting the freezer. I had to drain the system and remove all of the freeon that was inside the system. Air circulation is necessary for the unit because it is so big. The seal on it is amazing so it does not require that many fans. I am going to run two on top of the humidification unit. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
[Reply]
Volusianator 01:35 PM 06-23-2011
Originally Posted by docdoty:

I saw those too, awesome word dude.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up