Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>humidor problem- cigars taste odd
bigheadmark 10:06 AM 04-13-2014
I have a Gran Habano Humidor, and although it looks nice, I am having a problem that I hope I can get some advice/ suggestions on.
I am pretty sure that the cigar has spanish cedar lining. I seasoned it and have shilala beads inside of it, along with a C.I. humidifier thingy.
Here is the problem: after leaving cigars in it for several days, even weeks, the flavor and aroma of my cigars have changed to an odd/ harsh flavor with a different smoke/aroma smell.
I thought the cigars were the problem first, so I tested them PRIOR to placing them in the humidor and then after, and confirmed that it is indeed the humidor.
Can anyone think why this is happening?
Can anyone think of a solution?

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...t=photo%2c.JPG
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 10:39 AM 04-13-2014
This may sound over simplistic but, if you take all the cigars out, what does it smell like inside?
[Reply]
T.G 11:46 AM 04-13-2014
Lose the blue ci humidifier, all they do is pump out moisture without knowing when to stop. The hcm beads are all you should need. Do you have a calibrated hygrometer to check what the humidity is in there?
[Reply]
Dude Here 01:20 PM 04-13-2014
How large is the humidor you're using? The one in the picture doesn't look like it's big enough to require two humidifiers. A pound of beads would be more than enough for that.

Does the humidor have a bad smell when it's empty?
[Reply]
bigheadmark 03:06 PM 04-13-2014
thanks guys...I will take out all the cigars and take a whiff! I will also lose the CI humidifier...the humidor is a 500 capacity...yes, the hygrometer is calibrated
[Reply]
CigarNut 03:18 PM 04-13-2014
How old is the hygrometer? Has it been calibrated recently (within the last 60 days)? If it is more than six months old, have you ever changed the batteries?

Have you noticed mold anywhere (cigars, beads, humidor)?
[Reply]
RobR1205 04:59 PM 04-13-2014
Originally Posted by bigheadmark:
I am pretty sure that the cigar has spanish cedar lining. I seasoned it and have shilala beads inside of it, along with a C.I. humidifier thingy.
Here is the problem: after leaving cigars in it for several days, even weeks, the flavor and aroma of my cigars have changed to an odd/ harsh flavor with a different smoke/aroma smell.

Can anyone think why this is happening?
Can anyone think of a solution?

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...t=photo%2c.JPG
If you mean this something like this...
http://www.cigarsinternational.com/h...ation/#p-19706
...then I would bet that it is the culprit. When I first got into the hobby, I only relied on these things. At one point, my cigars became acrid and nasty. I soon realized that I oversaturated the beads and they began to stink something awful and had made all my cigars taste nasty. I was in 65%-70% humidity range despite all of this. After a few weeks of switching to Boveda packets (I've since moved on to strictly HCM Beads) they began to return to normal. Hope this helps! :-)
[Reply]
bigheadmark 05:52 PM 04-13-2014
Ok. Took out the cigars. The humidor smells like spanish cedar and tobacco. Im discarding the humidifier and sticking to only the hcm beads. No mold. Put 2 different hygrometers in the humidor now.
[Reply]
RobR1205 06:00 PM 04-13-2014
Good luck, Mark! Hopefully your sticks return to smoking condition soon!
[Reply]
bigheadmark 06:05 PM 04-13-2014
Thank you so much for all the tips!
[Reply]
Up