Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Talk to me about humidor fans
RobR1205 07:57 AM 04-03-2014
Hey all,

I've been doing some reading around the forum about CPU and Oust fans, but couldn't find out what exactly they do, and if they really make a difference on your sticks. I've got some space in the humi, tax return is coming, and the warm weather is upon us: a recipe for disaster!!! :-).

That being said, I want to invest in some fans but don't really know much about them. I use HCM beads in my cabinet, which regulate my humidity very well (65-69). I've noticed some sticks smoking better than others, depending on where they came in my humidor. My theory is that the humidity may differ in some areas because it might not be able to get to all the sticks (especially when they are layered). Is my hunch correct, do you think?

Any users of fans here willing to give their :-)? What's worked for you, what you like, your personal experience? Thanks! :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:21 AM 04-03-2014
Airflow in your humidor can even out the humidity -- the more filled your humidor is the less natural airflow and the more likely it is that your humidity will not be even throughout.

I use an RV refrigerator fan -- it is battery operated so I need to change the batteries every few months, but it works well for me:

[Reply]
RobR1205 08:25 AM 04-03-2014
Thanks for the input, Michael! :-)
[Reply]
CigarSquid 08:38 AM 04-03-2014
Where did you find one at Michael?
[Reply]
jonumberone 08:44 AM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by garryyjr:
Based on the logo in the pic, I'm going to guess camping world.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...f-switch/38134
[Reply]
SurpriseMVP 09:24 AM 04-03-2014
First you will need to buy some fans. Newegg has them for around $3.00

Next you'll need a molex adapter to power your fans. Newegg for around $15.
now you'll need a timer. I got a GE 7 day digital at home depot for around $15. It has 20 on/off cycles a day so you can run your fans every 70 minutes or so depending on your preference
Now you'll need something to mount to the back of the fans so that air can flow around. I used cabinet door stops attached with gel superglue

Depending on your cooler find a safe place to drill a access hole for the fan wires. Mount your fans where you like, cut off the molex connector so you can run the fan wires through the hole you drilled. Splice the wires together on the backside of your cooler into the molex connector
Plug it all in, set up your timer, and you should be good to go.
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:45 AM 04-03-2014
I found it much easier to use a battery operated fan... :-)

Originally Posted by garryyjr:
As Dom pointed out you can find them at Camping World -- or any number of other sites by Googling "RV Refrigerator Fan". Clicky
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 09:49 AM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by jonumberone:
Based on the logo in the pic, I'm going to guess camping world.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...f-switch/38134
He's an As fan .. go easy on him :-)
[Reply]
jledou 12:06 PM 04-03-2014
An old CPU fan and an old cell phone charger, clip off the ends and reconnect and let it run.
[Reply]
CigarNut 12:17 PM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by jledou:
An old CPU fan and an old cell phone charger, clip off the ends and reconnect and let it run.
The hard part about this is running the electrical wire into the humidor in such a way as to avoid a leak. I am not saying that it cannot be done -- just saying that it was more time and effort than I was willing to do.
[Reply]
equetefue 12:46 PM 04-03-2014
I have a Set and Forget with fans in my cabinet and they work great to eliminate spots around the cabinet. I do know however that Bob Staebell told me that a good cabinet does not need that much fan need, thus mine does not run continuously.
[Reply]
jledou 12:48 PM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
The hard part about this is running the electrical wire into the humidor in such a way as to avoid a leak. I am not saying that it cannot be done -- just saying that it was more time and effort than I was willing to do.
My situation was a bit easier since it was an old fridge, I drilled a hole, ran the wire through, connected it and then used a silicon caulk to seal it.

If it was a wooden humidor I would have went with a battery operated fan too.
[Reply]
bobarian 12:55 PM 04-03-2014
I used Oust fans for a few years, but honestly found no difference in how my sticks smoked. Took them all out of coolers and Vinotemps many years ago and never had any issues with burn or flavor. I dropped them about the same time I stopped using hygrometers, I use beads for humidity control and judge things by how my cigars smoke. :-)
[Reply]
stearns 01:15 PM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by bobarian:
I used Oust fans for a few years, but honestly found no difference in how my sticks smoked. Took them all out of coolers and Vinotemps many years ago and never had any issues with burn or flavor. I dropped them about the same time I stopped using hygrometers, I use beads for humidity control and judge things by how my cigars smoke. :-)
100% this, I don't use hygros or fans any more. Rarely have smokes that dont burn well, and never hear anything back from anybody who I've gifted to saying they burned bad. I'll keep going like this until I start noticing an issue :-)
[Reply]
Up