Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 126 of 138
« First < 2676116124125126 127128136 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
gliderryder 09:24 AM 01-20-2015
I do not have a separate hygrometer. I thought that the electric humidifier was a hygrometer as well as a humidifier. So going forward I guess I will get a digital hygrometer and go from there.
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:32 AM 01-20-2015
Originally Posted by gliderryder:
I do not have a separate hygrometer. I thought that the electric humidifier was a hygrometer as well as a humidifier. So going forward I guess I will get a digital hygrometer and go from there.
Think of the control on the electric humidifier as a "suggestion"; some are more accurate than others, but I would never rely on that alone.

I'm a fan of the HygroSet hygrometers but the Xikar Hygrometers are also very good.
[Reply]
gliderryder 09:45 AM 01-20-2015
great I will order a digital Hygrometer and hopefully that will take care of my problem. Thanks so much for your suggestions. It is hard starting out. I have been smoking cigs on and off for years but only recently have been getting into storing my own.
[Reply]
jjirons69 11:45 AM 01-20-2015
Just my little piece of advice.

I got 65%RH beads from Heartfelt many years ago. Keep a fourth of the beads translucent and the RH sticks at 65%. I have a digital Western Caliber RH meter but since getting the beads, I really don't need it. It's just a weekly validation everything still works. My advice, get some good, reliable beads and the meter it really not needed. Less humid is getter than more.
[Reply]
gliderryder 09:19 AM 01-21-2015
Thanks Jamie, much appreciated. I will order some beads and give it a try.
[Reply]
gliderryder 06:09 AM 01-22-2015
are there any humidifier beads out there that are better than the other??????????????????
[Reply]
CigarNut 07:31 AM 01-22-2015
are there any humidifier beads out there that are better than the other??????????????????
It's a one of those "religious" issues -- everyone has their opinions and facts. I am biased in favor of HCM Beads, but Heartfelt beads are also very good.

As far as I know these are the only two good bead products on the market.
[Reply]
CdnStogie 08:29 AM 01-22-2015
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
It's a one of those "religious" issues -- everyone has their opinions and facts. I am biased in favor of HCM Beads, but Heartfelt beads are also very good.

If you want to consider silica kitty litter.... this works well too :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 08:41 AM 01-22-2015
Opinions vary.
:-)
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 09:24 AM 01-22-2015
Originally Posted by CigarNut:

+1
I use Heartfelt because they were the first beads I'd ever heard of and they work for me. Others prefer HCM. Really, you can't go wrong with either.
[Reply]
Flynnster 11:02 AM 01-22-2015
Just as long as it's one of those two, and some of the others ones only let water out, or only suck water back in. These do both.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 11:58 AM 01-22-2015
KL is made to absorb not release moisture. :-)

That's being said, I'm a Shilala (HCM) bead fan. :-)
[Reply]
gliderryder 12:23 PM 01-22-2015
thanks all for the input.
[Reply]
Flynnster 01:55 PM 01-22-2015
Hey Gliderryder, have you gotten a copy of our newsletter yet? If not send me a PM with your address and I'll get you on the mailing list.
[Reply]
gliderryder 09:21 AM 01-27-2015
OK I bought a digital hygrometer that also displays the temp. So my electric oasis humidifier is reading around 72%, my analog hygrometer is reading 69% and my new digital hygrometer is reading 57%. I am so baffled here. I haven't bought any beads yet but that is my next step. Any help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH BTW the temp on the digital hygrometer is right on the money.
[Reply]
pnoon 09:54 AM 01-27-2015
OK I bought a digital hygrometer that also displays the temp. So my electric oasis humidifier is reading around 72%, my analog hygrometer is reading 69% and my new digital hygrometer is reading 57%. I am so baffled here. I haven't bought any beads yet but that is my next step. Any help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH BTW the temp on the digital hygrometer is right on the money.
1. Have you calibrated the digital hygrometer?
2. Buy the beads
3. Ignore the analog hygrometer
[Reply]
CdnStogie 11:21 AM 01-27-2015
Originally Posted by CdnStogie:
If you want to consider silica kitty litter.... this works well too :-)
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Opinions vary.
:-)
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
KL is made to absorb not release moisture. :-)

That's being said, I'm a Shilala (HCM) bead fan. :-)
I have been using silica KL for a about 4 months now. My cooler has not moved from 68%. No maintenance. Made to asorb only or not is immaterial if it is holding the RH where you want it. :-)

That being said, it does take up a bunch more space than the the HF or the like. I have my humidor with the KL as well (put the KL in a aquarium filter sock) and but going to be removing that and using boveda packs to get my space back.
[Reply]
T.G 11:28 AM 01-27-2015
Is it really necessary to have yet another beads vs KL debate here? There are dozens of threads elsewhere in the forum on it already.
[Reply]
CdnStogie 02:57 PM 01-27-2015
how long will a box of cigars last outside of a humidor w/o any humidification/ziplock etc?

Friend will be coming back from down South with a couple boxes and curious.

Not worried if they have to sit for a few weeks - more to when will they will not be back to full health.
[Reply]
T.G 03:58 PM 01-27-2015
Originally Posted by CdnStogie:
how long will a box of cigars last outside of a humidor w/o any humidification/ziplock etc?

Friend will be coming back from down South with a couple boxes and curious.

Not worried if they have to sit for a few weeks - more to when will they will not be back to full health.
There's no real set/absolute answer here because there are many variables at play; how moist the cigars are at the beginning, are they in cello or not, does the box seal well, the material of the box, is the box wrapped in shrink wrap, what temperature and humidity the ambient conditions are, etc.

Cigars get shipped coast to coast in the back of a UPS truck by vendors here, that's 7-10 days in transit and often without the benefits of humidification or additional sealed bagging, and they are usually fine.

They could be out of the humidor for days and take months to recover, or vice versa, it's really hard to say.

All I can suggest is take a look at them when you get them. If the seem overly dry or too moist, then leave them in your humidor until they seem ok, then leave them there a bit longer. If they don't seem too dry or too moist when you get them, you can smoke one and see.
[Reply]
Page 126 of 138
« First < 2676116124125126 127128136 > Last »
Up