Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Heartfelt question.
Flounder 03:34 PM 12-14-2011
So I recently bought 2 tubes of Heartfelt beads (in an oversight so one came in today, the other tomorrow), but I need 2 tubes to regulate my cooler. My question is, I ordered one tube at 65%rh, not seeing that there was any other option, as I like my cigars at a higher rh, I got the next one at 70% and asked that my first order to be changed to 70% as well, they said they would but as it came in today, it was only 65%. Mistakes happen, no love lost.

My question is, although I feel that 65% is a little low for my tastes, 70% is on the high end, but I'd rather high then low. If I use both, the 70% and the 65%, should that regulate my cooleridor to approximately 67.5%? That ultimately would be close to perfect.

If no one knows it could be an experiment I try out and see what happens. Although I will have to wait until Friday or Saturday to let you know, as I have to dial in my Hydrometer that comes in tomorrow, overnight, and then give the cooler about 24 hours to regulate, which maybe I'll need more time, I don't know, never done this before.
[Reply]
Commander Quan 04:09 PM 12-14-2011
If you use one 70% tube and one 65% tube the beads will eternally be locked in a battle for moisture and a black hole will open in your cooler when they rip apart the time-space continuum. Cigars are serious stuff.
[Reply]
icehog3 04:34 PM 12-14-2011
In a perfect world, yes. See how it goes and report back to us would be my suggestion. That black hole and all, it's not a perfect world.
[Reply]
Flounder 04:50 PM 12-14-2011
Originally Posted by Commander Quan:
If you use one 70% tube and one 65% tube the beads will eternally be locked in a battle for moisture and a black hole will open in your cooler when they rip apart the time-space continuum. Cigars are serious stuff.
So you're saying I should keep the cooler outside?
[Reply]
bobarian 04:50 PM 12-14-2011
Here's the answer from Mark at cigarmony.
Howdy
Because humidty beads are set to specific RH level, combining 2 rh levels will not result in a hybrid level.

Assuming you are using equal amounts, the 65% RH Beads will work to raise the RH to 65%. Once they have expelled their moisture content the 60% RH Beads will work to lower the RH level to 62% RH.

I hope this helps.

Mark

Quoted from the sticky.
[Reply]
Mattso3000 05:06 PM 12-14-2011
I ran this in the scenario generator...17% of the time the coolidor regulated at 67.5 rh, 76% of the time it regulated between 63 and 71 rh. Only 7% of the results ended with a black hole and the end of humanity as we know it. In none of these scenarios did it matter if the cooler was outside.
[Reply]
Flounder 05:45 PM 12-14-2011
Now I feel like I have to return the 65... meaning a longer wait...
[Reply]
Mattso3000 05:51 PM 12-14-2011
Originally Posted by Flounder:
Now I feel like I have to return the 65... meaning a longer wait...
Why? 93% of the time it worked just fine.:-)
[Reply]
chaase321 06:36 PM 12-14-2011
Originally Posted by Mattso3000:
Why? 93% of the time it worked just fine.:-)
actually 93% of the time it worked all the time...

Bro, you will be fine mixing the beads...it will make them work constantly, but it is not like they "wear out." They are beads...

But I would love to hear if you notice anything unusual!?!?!
[Reply]
Flounder 06:46 PM 12-14-2011
Originally Posted by chaase321:
actually 93% of the time it worked all the time...

Bro, you will be fine mixing the beads...it will make them work constantly, but it is not like they "wear out." They are beads...

But I would love to hear if you notice anything unusual!?!?!
Not that I am worried about wearing anything out, but will they be okay with the RH swinging between 63 and 71% constantly? I'm worried about effing up my sticks.
[Reply]
mkarnold1 06:55 PM 12-14-2011
I'm pretty sure the simulator that Mattso ran this through for results was located in his ass.
[Reply]
ApexAZ 09:25 PM 12-14-2011
I think it will be fine, but I don't know anything about anything. My guess is that if you saturate the 70 according to the instructions, and then slightly over saturate the 65, you should come close to 70? That's just a thought, I have no simulator to run the figures through. From other posts I've gathered that many people accept a range of +\- 5% won't eff up your sticks. If you are really concerned about it though, perhaps heartfelt will let you exchange them. They seem pretty cool.
[Reply]
bvilchez 09:50 PM 12-14-2011
Ethan, something you should learn while here at the Asylum:

GATOR SKIN

Some of the above posts are messing with you. Your cigars will be fine. You will not mess them up at all having 65% and 70% beads.
[Reply]
Flounder 09:57 PM 12-14-2011
I know most of them are just messing. I'm still going to post my own experience and see what happens.
[Reply]
md4958 10:35 PM 12-14-2011
Ethan, most here (after some experimentation) end up going to 65% beads anyway... They (myself included) find it results in a better smoke.

Some keep their cigars at 55%, 60%, 62%, 70%and I believe Tom's ideal is 63.725%, and 64% on Leap Years. Basically see how your cigars smoke at either RH% and use those beads.

If it happens that you like 65%, consider yourself smart enough to have bought them the first time around :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 10:38 PM 12-14-2011
Originally Posted by md4958:
Ethan, most here (after some experimentation) end up going to 65% beads anyway... They (myself included) find it results in a better smoke.

Some keep their cigars at 55%, 60%, 62%, 70%and I believe Tom's ideal is 63.725%, and 64% on Leap Years. Basically see how your cigars smoke at either RH% and use those beads.

If it happens that you like 65%, consider yourself smart enough to have bought them the first time around :-)
:-)

You can bet your last cannoli on what he said.
[Reply]
Zeuceone 10:48 PM 12-14-2011
Last time I tried that all that happened was they pulled the mositure out of each other. I had a pool of water in my humidor, which ruined my 40th anniversary Cohibas.
[Reply]
Flounder 11:02 PM 12-14-2011
Originally Posted by Zeuceone:
Last time I tried that all that happened was they pulled the mositure out of each other. I had a pool of water in my humidor, which ruined my 40th anniversary Cohibas.
How is that possible?
[Reply]
icehog3 11:31 PM 12-14-2011
Spontaneous hydrogen combustion.
[Reply]
Zeuceone 12:08 AM 12-15-2011
Originally Posted by Flounder:
How is that possible?
the two different bead percentages kept pulling on each other trying to balance the humiidity. its pretty unbelieveable the amount of water beats hold.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up