Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Cutter Sharpening?
Flounder 09:50 PM 12-12-2011
I did a quick search but couldn't find anything on the subject, at least that would be implied by a thread title.

But is it possible to sharpen a cutter? Mine is currently fine, but I can only imagine that over time it will dull, and if there is a way to fix that. It's made by Luciene, not sure of the model.
[Reply]
pnoon 10:00 PM 12-12-2011
Not worth it, IMO.

Any cutter that might be worth the effort will have a warranty for replacement.

Palio (my preference) and Xikar are two quality cutters that you'd not have to worry about.
[Reply]
emopunker2004 10:02 PM 12-12-2011
+1 to what Peter said

xikar? palio? cubancrafters? if one of these send it in when it's time.
[Reply]
Ogre 10:03 PM 12-12-2011
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Not worth it, IMO.

Any cutter that might be worth the effort will have a warranty for replacement.

Palio (my preference) and Xikar are two quality cutters that you'd not have to worry about.
:-) except I prefer the Xikar :-)
[Reply]
Flounder 10:17 PM 12-12-2011
From what I hear, I think Xikar will be my next cutter, just don't have the funds to justify buying one until my Luciene is totally shot.
[Reply]
Ogre 10:19 PM 12-12-2011
Ethan, you cant go wrong with either one. Both are awesome cutters.
[Reply]
emopunker2004 10:25 PM 12-12-2011
Originally Posted by Flounder:
From what I hear, I think Xikar will be my next cutter, just don't have the funds to justify buying one until my Luciene is totally shot.
xikar xi2 comes up on cigar monster alot for like 20-25
[Reply]
Flounder 10:30 PM 12-12-2011
Originally Posted by emopunker2004:
xikar xi2 comes up on cigar monster alot for like 20-25
If I had that cash I'd buy the Perdomos that are up right now... I just dropped like $250 on a cooler, hydrometer, beads, a box of Perdomo Lot 23's and a couple samplers.
[Reply]
Big Maduro 11:32 PM 12-12-2011
Originally Posted by :
xikar? palio? cubancrafters? if one of these send it in when it's time.
I knew Xikar would take them when they need re-sharpend. I didn't know about Cuban Crafters. I've been looking at their perfect cutter.
[Reply]
Remo 12:08 AM 12-13-2011
Just get a new one with a warranty :-)
[Reply]
emopunker2004 12:15 AM 12-13-2011
Originally Posted by Big Maduro:
I knew Xikar would take them when they need re-sharpend. I didn't know about Cuban Crafters. I've been looking at their perfect cutter.
I would assume they do. It says if it fails to function properly. I would say that if it's not cutting good then that would qualify. My :-)
[Reply]
Savor the Stick 01:27 AM 12-13-2011
Originally Posted by Flounder:
Yep what Pnoon just wrote. They all are good, I've owned the "Big 3" my money goes for cigars, not fancy cutters. I stuck with Cuban Crafters--best cutter for the money.
I would assume they do. It says if it fails to function properly. I would say that if it's not cutting good then that would qualify. My :-)
I have sent in my perfect cutter once just cause it was dull, got a new one in the mail in about a week. Best $14.99 I ever spent.
[Reply]
emopunker2004 01:32 AM 12-13-2011
I have a CC cutter i need to send back. It has never worked properly since the day I got it.
[Reply]
Silound 07:26 AM 12-13-2011
Any XiKar dealer should trade you a new on off the shelf for your dull one (assuming it's not a custom cutter). That's the standard policy now they have, and then the retailers just get new replacements.

Really makes me wonder if there's a warehouse somewhere with old dull XiKars? :-)
[Reply]
Taki 08:37 AM 12-13-2011
I have 3 cutters however I think my next one will be a Palio...I keep hearinf about them but never used one
[Reply]
dave 08:48 AM 12-13-2011
Haven't tried it, so I don't know if it works, but I've read on multiple occassions that if you roll aluminum foil into a loose ball and make servera cuts through it, you'll get some sharpening on 'lesser' blades. I won't bother trying it on my Xi or Palio, but if yous is dull anyway and new one still a ways off, probably can't hurt to try.
[Reply]
Savor the Stick 10:25 AM 12-13-2011
I have a CC cutter i need to send back. It has never worked properly since the day I got it.
CC will make it right I'm sure.
[Reply]
lenguamor 10:25 AM 12-13-2011
Terrific;. I gave Manny one of those as his first cutter, he still uses it.

Originally Posted by Taki:
I have 3 cutters however I think my next one will be a Palio...I keep hearinf about them but never used one
I swear by my Palios. Clean, perfect cut every time, and no pinching my fat hands!

Originally Posted by Remo_5_0:
Just get a new one with a warranty :-)
This.
[Reply]
ktblunden 12:25 PM 12-13-2011
Originally Posted by Silound:
Any XiKar dealer should trade you a new on off the shelf for your dull one (assuming it's not a custom cutter). That's the standard policy now they have, and then the retailers just get new replacements.

Really makes me wonder if there's a warehouse somewhere with old dull XiKars? :-)
Yep. If you send it in to Xikar you'll be waiting quite a while for a replacement. I had an Xi1 that was dull when I bought it and it took several weeks to get a replacement from Xikar. Easier to just walk into a Xikar retailer and swap it out with them.
[Reply]
Volusianator 01:22 PM 12-13-2011
Originally Posted by Ogre:
:-) except I prefer the Xikar :-)
:-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up