Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Coolidor project
Blak Smyth 07:12 AM 08-24-2011
I have just purchased my first coolidor, bought a hygrometer.
The Shilala beads will be delivered today.
I posted on another thread with an idea I was thinking about getting (In due time) but quickly deleted my post in fear I was threadjacking, so here it is.

Clearly this is just a rough draft, I slapped it together in MS Paint to get it out of my head. I have some time before I can afford to do this but it is a project I am really interested in.
Let me know what you guys think about a shelving system, something like this. I am looking for opinions, suggestions or experiences, thanks:

Question:
Should the bead tray be in the center or it doesn't matter?

-
[Reply]
WittyUserName 07:24 AM 08-24-2011
I can see what you are trying to do. I think the tray should stay where it is and you can just go with another full length tray on top for more storage space. I assume the open space above the crumb catcher is for boxes? This looks awesome, I need you to get it done within the next 6 months so I can copy you when I get home.
[Reply]
Mattso3000 07:30 AM 08-24-2011
Certainly looks like that would get the job done. I like the idea of the sliding upper shelf, but it may be easier/ cheaper/ more storage space to put in two smaller but removable shelves there. Will be one heck of a coolidor when you get it done, make sure you take pics and post on the progress!
[Reply]
irratebass 07:38 AM 08-24-2011
I'm liking the idea, sorry no advice to give....too new, but def want to see the progress.
[Reply]
jesseboston81 07:40 AM 08-24-2011
In my opinion, once you're in coolidor territory it's just easier to use empty boxes to hold singles rather than special trays. I like the look of handcrafted trays in a vinodor since they add to the display factor (like the vino I have on display in my dining room), but coolidors generally are all about function and not really aesthetics--just toss any singles in empty boxes, and that way you can adjust which empty boxes you are using to fit the amount of singles you have and the available space in the coolidor.

Of course, this is all my opinion. Some people like fancy shelves and trays in their coolidors, and Forrest even makes a very handsome set of drawers for the Coleman 150qt Marine cooler.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 07:44 AM 08-24-2011
Originally Posted by jesseboston81:
In my opinion, once you're in coolidor territory it's just easier to use empty boxes to hold singles rather than special trays. I like the look of handcrafted trays in a vinodor since they add to the display factor (like the vino I have on display in my dining room), but coolidors generally are all about function and not really aesthetics--just toss any singles in empty boxes, and that way you can adjust which empty boxes you are using to fit the amount of singles you have and the available space in the coolidor.

Of course, this is all my opinion. Some people like fancy shelves and trays in their coolidors, and Forrest even makes a very handsome set of drawers for the Coleman 150qt Marine cooler.
I know and that is the dilemna here. I was going to do a vino but ran into some financial troubles, now I am settleing for a coolidor and still have a desire to make it custom. And Forrest's thread is what inspired me to buy a cooler in the first place.:-)

Thanks for your opinions guys, I will just be storing stuff in the cooler at first with only a box of cigars and a shelf out of my humidor for singles.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 08:12 AM 08-24-2011
More questions:

Can I put my 20 count humidors directly into my coolidor and store cigars that way?
I was bombed a box of cigars and the outside of the box is like a velvet material, can I keep that box in my coolidor?

Originally Posted by WittyUserName:
I can see what you are trying to do. I think the tray should stay where it is and you can just go with another full length tray on top for more storage space. I assume the open space above the crumb catcher is for boxes? This looks awesome, I need you to get it done within the next 6 months so I can copy you when I get home.
Yes that center area would be the box storage facility.
I agree with you guys about the extra singles storage but I like the idea of a sliding shelf.
I could maybe do 3 full stack shelves and then one half slider on top?
I will keep most of my singles in my desktop.
[Reply]
Apoco 08:20 AM 08-24-2011
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth:
More questions:

Can I put my 20 count humidors directly into my coolidor and store cigars that way?
Yes. I have a 75 count in my humidor (that way my dad's cigars are still kept seperate but he doesn't have to worry about humidification). We put a small piece of cardboard to keep it open. Would seem pointless to have a sealed humidor inside of a humidor. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:27 AM 08-24-2011
One thing about beads -- all beads, not just HCM beads -- they work through exposed surface area. So the more surface area exposed to the air space inside the humidor the better. As far as positioning your bead tray is fine -- I would would make the sides smaller (lower) -- just big enough to hold the beads in place. Just my :-)
[Reply]
Boz 08:34 AM 08-24-2011
Originally Posted by jesseboston81:

Exactly what I do. :-)
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 09:05 AM 08-24-2011
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
One thing about beads -- all beads, not just HCM beads -- they work through exposed surface area. So the more surface area exposed to the air space inside the humidor the better. As far as positioning your bead tray is fine -- I would would make the sides smaller (lower) -- just big enough to hold the beads in place. Just my :-)
Great advice, thanks!
[Reply]
Devanmc 10:20 AM 08-24-2011
personally i like to have my beads spread out threw the humi, a bag here and bag there, But i doubt it really matters. You could also design in a place for a computer fan to circulate air. Some say this helps things other say it doesnt matter. its really all up you.
[Reply]
Bill86 11:07 AM 08-24-2011
I personally wouldn't go too fancy on the coolidors. To me it defeats the purpose of them being cheap temporary (or permanent) storage.

Save your cash for smokes to fill it and pimp it out later :-)
[Reply]
Skywalker 01:17 PM 08-24-2011
Originally Posted by Bill86:
I personally wouldn't go too fancy on the coolidors. To me it defeats the purpose of them being cheap temporary (or permanent) storage.

Save your cash for smokes to fill it and pimp it out later :-)
:-)

Save up for a Vino or cabinet!:-)
[Reply]
WittyUserName 01:33 PM 08-24-2011
I cannot wait to get my vino

but I will be getting a cooler first.
[Reply]
shilala 02:27 PM 08-24-2011
I dig the idea, Shane, and I see where you're going. It's pretty cool and it's nice and functional. Thing is, once you've spent that money it's gone, and you'll grow out of it before another year is up, guaranteed.
If you're making that setup in your own shop from inexpensive material, that's one thing. If you're paying someone big ching to knock it out for you, that's another. As a woodworker, that'd be my advice if you came to me to make it for you. If you insisted, I'd definately talk you into an inexpensive base material so you can set aside the whole thing when you move into vino territory.
You'll be doing yourself a big favor if you put this money away towards a vino, because it's going to be substantial in shipping alone, compared to what a vino or edgestar costs.
If you can't shake the idea, and you can grind it out yourself for next to nothing, rock on. If you have it custom made from Spanish Cedar, and see the price, I think you'll change your mind and wait.
However you decide to go, please keep us updated. I'd like to see what you decide, and what it looks like if you have it done. :-)
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 07:56 AM 08-30-2011
Okay so I took the advice of many and decided to just go to a B&M and pick up a few empty boxes to create shelves, I will post pics after I take some. Keeping it simple and effective!

Thanks everybody for your advice, I realize I was being a little over achieving with a coolidor plan now. Someday I will do a nice winador and then I will get some nice shelves made.
[Reply]
irratebass 08:03 AM 08-30-2011
Can't wait to see this, I want a coolidor, but I think I am overstepping my 2 humi's aren't full yet and I haven't even purchased a box yet...I think you all are making me envious/jumping the boat too soon.

Sure I will need a coolidor, but for right now I should just be happy with what I have (this is me convincing myself heh)
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 08:28 AM 08-30-2011
Originally Posted by irratebass:
Can't wait to see this, I want a coolidor, but I think I am overstepping my 2 humi's aren't full yet and I haven't even purchased a box yet...I think you all are making me envious/jumping the boat too soon.

Sure I will need a coolidor, but for right now I should just be happy with what I have (this is me convincing myself heh)
If finally decided to pull the trigger and just get a cooler, best descision I made. Keeping it simple with empty boxes, second best descision. One of the empties I grabbed had little plastic rows to use as a holder/spacer for the cigars.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 08:40 AM 08-30-2011
Question for coolidor owners:

Should I drill holes in the sides of my empty cigar boxes to let the air flow better?
I am using these as shelves in my coolidor with singles in them.
When I stack the cigar boxes there is not much room for air to get in.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up