Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Does anyone have experience with either of these Humi's?
BHalbrooks 05:16 PM 11-23-2011
Hello all, first time poster, wondering if you guys had any experience with either of these humidors. I need something in the range of 250-300, but not more. I found 3 different options on CigarsInternational.

Appreciate it :-)

El Diablo 300 count

Treasure Dome 250 count

Or, Havana Foot locker 300 count
[Reply]
DMK 05:21 PM 11-23-2011
Save your money to buy more cigars and just pick up a cooler for storage.
I started with a 60 count, bought a 100 count then a 500 count...
Recently emptied them all into coolers which are a whole lot easier to maintain temp and humidity.
If you were closer you could pick up mine if you 'really' wanted a wood humi.
[Reply]
BHalbrooks 05:22 PM 11-23-2011
My Fiancee would MURDER me. I'd have better luck with killing a hooker and shoving her in there.

That seems a bit bulky, putting them in Coolers.
[Reply]
Dr Voss 05:24 PM 11-23-2011
They all look really nice, tough choice. I love the look of the Treasure Dome.
[Reply]
Bill86 05:27 PM 11-23-2011
I got the El Diablo from CI mid last year. It's a terrible piece of crap, it lasted I believe 3 months and never held humidity very well.

CI said oh well, it's past the returned date. I don't buy anymore from CI and I certainly don't buy anymore cheap desktop humis.

That said Darryl is right. Get a coolidor. You'll outgrow a 300 count in 3-4 months. They don't hold nearly 300 either :-)
[Reply]
irratebass 08:02 AM 11-24-2011
Bill is wise.....listen to him youngster.
[Reply]
jonumberone 08:13 AM 11-24-2011
I've had a CI desktop for about 8 years, with none of the problems listed by Bill.
It is only a 100 ct, which means it holds about 60 sticks.
I have never had a cooler, as they don't appeal to me.
Bill is right about you outgrowing it much faster than you anticipate.
If you want a desktop over a cooler, go for it. :-)
There are plenty of people like me, who have used cheaper desktops without issues, for many years.
[Reply]
14holestogie 08:36 AM 11-24-2011
I've got to agree with Dom. I've had / have a number of "cheap" humidors and of the 8 I have, only one (glass top) has given me issues holding rh, and even that was repairable. The El Diablo was my first about 10 years ago, although it was called something else back then. No problems whatsoever. Also have one resembling the Treasure Dome. Again, great for what I need it for.

That being said, coolers are the way to go when you want to start collecting by the boxful. Got 2 of them as well.
[Reply]
backwoods357 11:20 AM 11-24-2011
I bought a cheap desktop, works ok, then I listened to the wisdom of countless BOTL here on the forums and bought a small cooler. Best decision by far, buy the small stackable chests and spend the money you save on sticks and beads. I keep my desktop out for aesthetic but often it stays in my cooler for temp (beetles are most comfortable at the same temps as my wife) reasons.
[Reply]
BHalbrooks 04:41 PM 11-24-2011
I'm not sure if I want to deal with the whole Cooler sound. I mean, seems like it takes up a lot of space.

I wouldn't really fill a humi by buying boxes on top of boxes. The Fiancee wouldn't really let that fly. We're tight on cash, but when I get a job (Hopefully soon), I'll be able to at least keep hopefully 100 sticks in it.
[Reply]
Drez 04:49 PM 11-24-2011
Originally Posted by jonumberone:
I've had a CI desktop for about 8 years, with none of the problems listed by Bill.
It is only a 100 ct, which means it holds about 60 sticks.
I have never had a cooler, as they don't appeal to me.
Bill is right about you outgrowing it much faster than you anticipate.
If you want a desktop over a cooler, go for it. :-)
There are plenty of people like me, who have used cheaper desktops without issues, for many years.
I also have a couple cheap humis and they work great.

another option would be a big tupperware container. i use a couple with great results and are very cheap (5-10 bucks)
[Reply]
Benwoo 05:03 PM 11-24-2011
Yeah. A few cheapy tuperbors. Maybe a better option for now with the bpnus of food storage when you out grow em. Granted theyre low on the bling factor. O went straight from a freebie humi to a vino and i have only bought 3 full boxes so far in 3 yrs
[Reply]
CigarGuy88 12:27 PM 11-27-2011
I have the El Diablo (granted I havent used it for about a year...) but when I had it in use it was great! Had a good seal on it and always held humidity well.
[Reply]
alexa071 09:13 PM 11-28-2011
I had the Treasure Dome humidor and after about 6 months the lid fell off. It is made out of MDF with a veneer. The screws holding the lid on are all in a line across the hinge and they split the MDF when they went in. Also, the lid on that thing is incredibly heavy so it was just a matter of time. I would HIGHLY suggest steering clear of that model.

Talk to Ed at waxingmoon humidors. He's got production models now that are running at $375 plus S/H and they are 250 count humis. It sounds like a lot of money but it isn't. If you buy a cheap one for half that amount you will make it up in a year or so when you have to replace it.

Randy
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 09:21 PM 11-28-2011
I've used a Tupper-dor with some RH beads for 2 years and it works better than the humidors I have. If you want cheap, but not too bulky I would go with that.
[Reply]
neoflex 09:23 PM 11-28-2011
I have a Foot Locker. The pictures are deceiving and it is much larger in real life. It holds a good bit of cigars. I originally bought this for overflow for my cabinet:-) but now I have two additional overflows:-) You could stuff a few boxes and a ton of singles inside it if you play Cigar Tetris long enough. Holds a great seal and requires very little maintenance now that I have switched the foam in the pucks to beads.
[Reply]
deadrise 09:37 PM 11-28-2011
I got this cooler
with the plans on getting 5 of these
$10 trays
for it and have yet to purchase the trays but for $70 bucks it would hold a fair amount
the inside dimensions of the cooler are 8.5 x 14.5 x 12.5 tall 5 trays would be a perfect fit allowing humi blocks on the side
so far I am using old box's but it has kept very good rh
[Reply]
Up