Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 6 of 13
« First < 456 78 > Last »
Health and Fitness>P90X Workout
CasaDooley 02:32 PM 11-02-2009
Originally Posted by ade06:
One of my friends who is currently in the 3rd phase told me that on his day 2, with 23 minutes left on the dvd (he even remembered it down to the second), he almost lost it and threw up in his living room. So, I'm glad you both made it through day 2. While my wife and I are doing the progams "together", she is doing the lean program, while I'm doing the classic program. We'll have to wait until day 3 so that we can actually workout together.

I have been hungry all day!!!
Ade, I feel your pain Bro!:-)
[Reply]
kaisersozei 02:44 PM 11-02-2009
Originally Posted by CasaDooley:
The wife and I started yesterday. Day 1 chest & back wasn't to bad. Today was plyometrics, which I liked until the wife had to hit me with the Defibrillator paddles to help keep me going! At the age of 51+ all I could think was "what the hell am I doin". Boy, I can't wait for tomorrow to do shoulders & arms.:-)
Thank God for vicodin.:-)
I'm 5 years behind ya, and thinking the same thing!

I didn't invest in a heart monitor until after I finished the program. I just finished Phase 1 the second time through (start Doubles tomorrow :-) :-)) and it was interesting to see how high my HR got during Plyometrics, especially on those Rock Star Hops and Jump Knee Tucks! Defibrillator paddles are no joke :-)
[Reply]
ade06 02:12 PM 11-08-2009
Week 1 down, alot more to go! The streach today was just what the Doctor ordered.
[Reply]
kaisersozei 03:39 PM 11-18-2009
Wanted to share a quick success story. As I've posted before, my goals the second time through this program were to drop to about a 34" waist & 6-8% body fat.

Took some measurements a few days ago before starting Week 7: 35" waist and 7.8% fat! Holy crap--just about halfway through and I've already reached one of my goals! Not bad for a semi-old guy

This program seriously works. Stick with it, fellas. :-)
[Reply]
ade06 04:40 PM 11-18-2009
Originally Posted by kaisersozei:
Wanted to share a quick success story. As I've posted before, my goals the second time through this program were to drop to about a 34" waist & 6-8% body fat.

Took some measurements a few days ago before starting Week 7: 35" waist and 7.8% fat! Holy crap--just about halfway through and I've already reached one of my goals! Not bad for a semi-old guy

This program seriously works. Stick with it, fellas. :-)
Wow, congrats to your success!!! 2 1/2 weeks into it and it's starting to take a toll on me. Today while warming up I felt a sharp pain in my left shoulder. I was able to do all of the actual movements without injury pain, but it's kinda gotten me alittle spooked. Then after today's arm and shoulder workout my right hip flexer felt sore (maybe from yesterday's plyo?). So for the rest of the day, inluding now, my hip flexer is very sore and it's making me limp alittle. Man I hope tomorrow's yoga helps... :-)
[Reply]
ade06 08:24 AM 11-19-2009
Yoga rocked! Today I'm feeling much better. The true test for my shoulder will be tomorrow's back and leg workout.
[Reply]
GodOfFire 08:54 AM 11-19-2009
Ok so I'm really out of shape and alittle intimidated by p90X. I have considered getting the regular beachbody program first. Any thoughts on this?
[Reply]
Poronico 03:01 PM 11-19-2009
Originally Posted by GodOfFire:
Ok so I'm really out of shape and alittle intimidated by p90X. I have considered getting the regular beachbody program first. Any thoughts on this?
If you are feeling so out of shape you would be deterred from starting or sticking with P90X then by all means get what you are comfortable with and do it. Make sure you don't get too comfortable with your plan though, make sure you push yourself and set realistic goals that you can complete. If you set yourself up for failure you will get discouraged. GOOD LUCK!
[Reply]
kaisersozei 08:02 AM 11-20-2009
Originally Posted by GodOfFire:
Send me a PM with an email address--I'll send you the Fitness Test that you take before beginning P90X. That should give you an idea of how ready you are for the program
[Reply]
kaisersozei 01:00 PM 01-04-2010
I'm in the home stretch of Round 2--Week 13 recovery starts tomorrow! Just a few more sessions of YogaX, Core Synergistics, and Kenpo this week. It will be weird (and relieving) not working out twice a day. It's awful cold in my garage at 6am every morning! Looking forward to measurements and taking the fitness test next week. :-)

How's everyone else coming?
[Reply]
spectrrr 10:50 PM 01-09-2010
So I literally found a copy of this in the trash at my apartment building about 9 months ago. I don't have the hardware, but the CDs and manuals all appear to be intact.

Going to ask your advice on this one......

I'm trying to figure out how to get into this thing, because I want to get in shape. I've tried the gym workout thing in the past and never could stick with it. I'm a "go for broke or go home" kind of guy, so I'm either not going to do something, or I'm going to redefine the term overkill. Hence why this course appeals to me - Overkill at its best.

Good news is that it's overkill at it's best... BAD news is that I was a computer geek growing up and have the body to match. Very little sports in HS, sedentary lifestyle (with regards to exercise or physical activity). I'm not fat, I used to eat well and be a very lean 5'10" w/ 31" waist and 145lbs. (in other words, I have no muscle). The last four months have been pretty tough and my eating went to hell, so now I'm at a 34.5" waist and 160lbs... but I KNOW I can fix that in less than a month with diet only.

I don't have much weight to lose and I can do that with diet, so this is more for muscle toning (or muscles PERIOD), overall energy and stamina. The diet part of the workout will not be a problem, I have EXCELLENT self-control when it comes to that. The workout part on the other hand... lets just say I grew up with the "muscles hurting means stop" mentality...

Run a mile? whats that? Can I walk for half of it? Jogging for a block puts me out of breath, 3 blocks has me gasping. Powerwalking the mile into work, but my calfs will hurt so much later I might be limping!

So after that bleak overview... what do the resident fitness buffs recomend?
[Reply]
JE3146 01:04 AM 01-10-2010
I'm kind of curious what hardware is required to complete these.

Seems the kit they sell has the software and some nutrition charts, but all the pictures show them using equipment like dumbells and what not.

Anyone have a list of what they use in addition to the DVD's?
[Reply]
DPD6030 02:46 AM 01-10-2010
I have an extra set of these DVDs if anyone wants them. Just PM me and we can figure out a trade of some sort or something.
[Reply]
kaisersozei 07:34 AM 01-10-2010
Originally Posted by spectrrr:
So after that bleak overview... what do the resident fitness buffs recomend?
I feel your pain, I've been where you are. I will say that P90x will turn that around entirely. I am more toned overall, and less flabby around the middle, than I've been in years. I'm not a huge guy, but I'm more muscular now than I've ever been. After two rounds of this, my resting heartrate is something like 48, giving me better cardio capacity than I've had since high school almost 30 years ago.

The program isn't a lot of fancy stuff. It's basic, old fashioned working out and eating right. And it works, if you follow it.

After sitting on my ass for 10-12 years, I was as concerned as you are before I started. So I took a few months to work up to a basic level of fitness. Running a few miles every other day, push-ups, sit-ups. Tried to get into a basic level of conditioning. I think that helped me, but I know a lot of guys that just jump right in.

As you can tell, I'm a big believer in this particular program. Mainly because I've seen the results. It's hard work and requires commitment, but if you want to get the "best body you've ever had" (as the infomercial says :-)) this will get you there. Don't get discouraged with it. I'd also recommend setting up an account at beachbody.com--lots of helpful information and other P90x-er's on that site.

Let me know if I can be of any help. Good luck!
[Reply]
kaisersozei 07:50 AM 01-10-2010
Originally Posted by JE3146:
I'm kind of curious what hardware is required to complete these.

Seems the kit they sell has the software and some nutrition charts, but all the pictures show them using equipment like dumbells and what not.

Anyone have a list of what they use in addition to the DVD's?
The P90x fitness guide says

The following equipment is recommended for use with P90x:
  1. Manduka Mat
  2. Chin-up Bar
  3. Dumbbells (ranging in weight from 5 to 70 pounds)
  4. B-Line Resistance Bands (for men, they recommend a 3-band set including Magenta B4, Red B6, Green B8)
  5. Heart Rate monitor
  6. Yoga blocks
  7. Body fat tester
  8. Push-up stands

Of all that stuff, the minimum you'll need is 1) a set of dumbbells, or resistance bands and 2) a yoga mat (there are tons of floor exercises, and you'll need it for yoga.) That's all I used when I started out. The body fat calipers are nice to have if you're interested in charting your progress, like I was.

A lot of the weight training relies on moving your body weight around, so the program is pretty light on equipment. A pull-up bar is a big help, but you can use the bands to sub for pull-ups. I couldn't even do one pull-up until Week 10 or so anyway, so I didn't miss not having the bar (although now I'm doing over 110 pull-ups on shoulder & back days, so it's an important part of the program!)

Let me know if you have any questions, I'll be happy to help.
[Reply]
JE3146 12:35 PM 01-10-2010
The P90x fitness guide says

The following equipment is recommended for use with P90x:
  1. Manduka Mat
  2. Chin-up Bar
  3. Dumbbells (ranging in weight from 5 to 70 pounds)
  4. B-Line Resistance Bands (for men, they recommend a 3-band set including Magenta B4, Red B6, Green B8)
  5. Heart Rate monitor
  6. Yoga blocks
  7. Body fat tester
  8. Push-up stands

Of all that stuff, the minimum you'll need is 1) a set of dumbbells, or resistance bands and 2) a yoga mat (there are tons of floor exercises, and you'll need it for yoga.) That's all I used when I started out. The body fat calipers are nice to have if you're interested in charting your progress, like I was.

A lot of the weight training relies on moving your body weight around, so the program is pretty light on equipment. A pull-up bar is a big help, but you can use the bands to sub for pull-ups. I couldn't even do one pull-up until Week 10 or so anyway, so I didn't miss not having the bar (although now I'm doing over 110 pull-ups on shoulder & back days, so it's an important part of the program!)

Let me know if you have any questions, I'll be happy to help.
Much appreciated. :-)

Looks like a minimal expense to give it a go. Just what I wanted to hear. :-)
[Reply]
JE3146 01:32 AM 01-14-2010
Well after acquiring a sample disc, me and the wife viewed it and were pleased by the structure of how it worked. Very well made, easy to follow, up front and cautious, yet encouraging based on your skill level. Reading through testimonials it sounds like the collection of workouts and diet is a healthy approach to this. Also read that it doesn't really provide anything new, cutting edge or totally unbelievable, it just organizes the things that work into a nice package.

Needless to say after seeing some before and after photos on the web and looking at the nutrition guide which actually would be an easy transition for us considering our current diet. As well as the fact some of the recipes actually looked quite good.

We're gonna give it a go :-).

Her the lean, and myself the classic.

I figure my hardest class day of the week for college is Wednesday so I'm gonna make that my day 7 stretch/rest day.

Gonna gear up on some of the essential equipment and probably start a week from tomorrow. Wish us luck :-)
[Reply]
kaisersozei 02:38 PM 01-14-2010
Originally Posted by JE3146:
We're gonna give it a go :-).

Her the lean, and myself the classic.

I figure my hardest class day of the week for college is Wednesday so I'm gonna make that my day 7 stretch/rest day.

Gonna gear up on some of the essential equipment and probably start a week from tomorrow. Wish us luck :-)
That's outstanding, Jordan--great committment to make to start the year! I just completed the final Fit Test for my second round of P90x. I'll post-up the details later, but I'll just say that I'm astounded at how far I've been able to come in strength gains & lean body weight in a little over 6 months. I've probably never been as fit as I am now, and I'm 46! Can only imagine what it would be like had I started when younger. :-) You'll be impressed by what this program helps you do!
[Reply]
JE3146 03:09 PM 01-14-2010
That's outstanding, Jordan--great committment to make to start the year! I just completed the final Fit Test for my second round of P90x. I'll post-up the details later, but I'll just say that I'm astounded at how far I've been able to come in strength gains & lean body weight in a little over 6 months. I've probably never been as fit as I am now, and I'm 46! Can only imagine what it would be like had I started when younger. :-) You'll be impressed by what this program helps you do!
I'd be curious to read the details.

The funny part though is I'm not really out of shape.... yet. I weigh like 175 - 180, 5' 9", 34 waist. By all standards, I'm not unhealthy.

But I can feel myself being pulled out of that adolescent metabolism stage where the stuff I eat is starting to add a couple of pounds. Men in my family get very large very quickly in their late 20's and I'd like to prevent that before it even has a chance to start. The toning wouldn't be a bad biproduct either :-)

My wife just wants to look good in a bikini. :-) ... I think she has ulterior motives though... ie.. wanting to go on a cruise this summer. Maybe that can be the reward when we finish.
[Reply]
Commander Quan 04:43 PM 01-14-2010
I may have already posted this link but here's a good P90X forum.

http://www.weightloss-hq.biz/weight-...90x-forum.html
[Reply]
Page 6 of 13
« First < 456 78 > Last »
Up