Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>New humidor options
Bill86 11:26 PM 09-28-2010
As you all guessed it I'll soon be in the market for a new humidor. Something around 1000 cigars till I can get my own place and buy a proper cabinet. What about getting http://www.cheaphumidors.com/p_cabin...HUM-LDCAB.html with a nice cigar oasis? Is this humidor decent? Also I was thinking of adding an inserted drawer for more single storage.

Basically what are my options for a decently price large humidor that can store a lot of singles?

Thanks in advance
[Reply]
bobarian 11:36 PM 09-28-2010
Coolerdor

Add some boxes from your B&M or some trays, a pound or two of beads and you are set. :-) That should leave you about $225 for more smokes. :-)
[Reply]
smelvis 11:42 PM 09-28-2010
I have one if you have any questions, I also have the tower and some others, feel free to pick my brain.

On this one it holds rh just fine the drawer takes a little more re hydrating than the cab, But it hold quite a few boxes. I am looking at another tower here as I just can't build a walk in yet dammit.

The one you chose is a fine unit for the price but you will run out of room soon if you are like me at all. I separate mine by brands a such.
Dave
[Reply]
nick2021 12:05 AM 09-29-2010
I almost went for the tower and somehow ended up with an Aristocrat Mxt...suppose to get it Friday. Unfortunately, I will not get to see it in person until my deployment is over :-) hoping the added space will help with storage needs!
[Reply]
icehog3 12:17 AM 09-29-2010
I had two of those before picking up my Aristocrat, Bill, and was very happy with them.
[Reply]
Bill86 02:10 AM 09-29-2010
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Coolerdor

Add some boxes from your B&M or some trays, a pound or two of beads and you are set. :-) That should leave you about $225 for more smokes. :-)
I've pondered that option as well, the problem is quite honestly I don't buy TOO many boxes. I've gotten a few bundles(3) and a few boxes(3), but bundles are just singles anyways. So adding a bunch of single drawers would probably up the price on the coolidor. Still might be cheaper even with the added trays and possible drawers or something.

Originally Posted by icehog3:
I had two of those before picking up my Aristocrat, Bill, and was very happy with them.
Awesome that's what I wanted to hear, I was thinking of having a 2nd drawer put in so there is half drawers and half shelves for boxes. This seems to be like a very good option. But again the cost goes up..Might end up at ~$350-$400

Just use beads or did you go with an electric humidifier?

This is all looking to be done around Christmas so I got some time to think. I was also looking into locally finding one like on craigslist or something. To see if I could get a real nice deal on a small cabinet.
[Reply]
jledou 04:21 AM 09-29-2010
Bill the boxes that Bob suggested were for the singles. You can pickup a couple at a local B&M and place all of your singles in them and you won't need singles drawers. Something to think about is you still have the same issue with single on the end table.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:09 AM 09-29-2010
Ziplock bags for singles.
[Reply]
Bunker 05:26 AM 09-29-2010
Originally Posted by jledou:
Bill the boxes that Bob suggested were for the singles. You can pickup a couple at a local B&M and place all of your singles in them and you won't need singles drawers. Something to think about is you still have the same issue with single on the end table.
That's what I use, 1 box split in half makes two trays

[Reply]
Wharf Rat 05:51 AM 09-29-2010
I went to Lowes and picked up some drawer organizers that are meant for knives and forks. They are made of chrome steel wire and stack. It works very well to separate singles in my coolerdor. OK, they're not cocobolo lined with Spanish cedar. Its quite practical.
[Reply]
Volt 06:17 AM 09-29-2010
Originally Posted by Bill86:
... I've gotten a few bundles(3) and a few boxes(3), but bundles are just singles anyways. So adding a bunch of single drawers would probably up the price on the coolidor. Still might be cheaper even with the added trays and possible drawers or something.
Originally Posted by jledou:

Coolidor! I get empty boxes from the B&M to store the singles in. While the coolidor isn't flashy or "cool" it does the job as well or better than a wood humi IMO. If your really wanting the tower, I'd go coolidor and pocket the change towards the tower. If your waning the end table then go for it.
[Reply]
waffle 06:59 AM 09-29-2010
If you're planning on getting a cabinet in the not too distant future, go coolidor and save the cash for putting towards the cabinet... or put it towards more smokes... there are several on here that have put shelves in certain coolers and they were cheap... Personally I grabbed a cooler and saved up til I could get the tower... I have lots of singles too, so I just picked up empty boxes from the b&m like everyone to store singles in :-)
[Reply]
Mugen910 07:35 AM 09-29-2010
:-) Large cooler! :-)

sorry had to use them at least once.
[Reply]
muhren 07:46 AM 09-29-2010
Originally Posted by waffle:
If you're planning on getting a cabinet in the not too distant future, go coolidor and save the cash for putting towards the cabinet... or put it towards more smokes... there are several on here that have put shelves in certain coolers and they were cheap... Personally I grabbed a cooler and saved up til I could get the tower... I have lots of singles too, so I just picked up empty boxes from the b&m like everyone to store singles in :-)
I went this route to begin with too...overflowed into Home Depot tubs until I got a cabinet. Cabinets are more than you think monetarily, so saved $ now will help later.

It doesn't look cool, but it keeps the smokes well AND your wife wil get tired of looking at them and suggest a cabinet buy...if she's like my wife that is!

M
[Reply]
CigarNut 07:53 AM 09-29-2010
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Coolerdor

Really good advice!

Coolers are much less expensive and pretty easy to maintain.
[Reply]
icehog3 08:19 AM 09-29-2010
Regarding the cabinet, I just used beads. I pretty much kept an eye on the RH every day, which I don't miss with the active humidification in my current set-up.

If you do go this route rather than the cooler, I would skip the second singles drawer, it just takes up too much of your open space. :-)
[Reply]
waffle 08:37 AM 09-29-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Regarding the cabinet, I just used beads. I pretty much kept an eye on the RH every day, which I don't miss with the active humidification in my current set-up.

If you do go this route rather than the cooler, I would skip the second singles drawer, it just takes up too much of your open space. :-)
I just ended up with a verona cabinet of the devilsite and after some back and forth with a couple of owners of both and realizing that a buddy had a hydra he didnt want/need anymore, I went active with beads... its been holding steady even as the temp hasn't...
[Reply]
ashtonlady 09:11 AM 09-29-2010
I agree Cooler is the way to go. And boxes for your singles. Mine is nothing fancy but it does the job. And if I am not using it for cigars, it has other uses. And moving coolers is much easier than moving a cabinet.
[Reply]
waffle 09:20 AM 09-29-2010
Originally Posted by ashtonlady:
I agree Cooler is the way to go. And boxes for your singles. Mine is nothing fancy but it does the job. And if I am not using it for cigars, it has other uses. And moving coolers is much easier than moving a cabinet.
:-) I have to move my cabinet to the basement and its like pulling teeth trying to get someone to come help me....
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:25 AM 09-29-2010
:-) I have to move my cabinet to the basement and its like pulling teeth trying to get someone to come help me....
You clearly have not offered the right bribe :-) :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up