Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Liquid for Beads
jaymz 08:46 AM 11-05-2008
I ran out of distilled water, but wondered if i could use some Humid-eze "wetting solution" that i have for the beads until I get up to the store?
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 08:51 AM 11-05-2008
I would wait until you get to the store.
[Reply]
md4958 08:52 AM 11-05-2008
what is your humidity at? i think you should be ok for a couple days.
[Reply]
icehog3 08:54 AM 11-05-2008
You will clog the beads and they will be ruined.
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 08:54 AM 11-05-2008
I would think the propelyne glycol in the solution would stick to the beads and make them "gummy" and therfore unusable.

MCS
[Reply]
N2Advnture 08:56 AM 11-05-2008
Originally Posted by icehog3:
You will clog the beads and they will be ruined.
Very true.

If you're in a pinch, regular tap water will work. Depending on the amount of impurities, it would probably take a year(s) to clog the pours in the beads with just tap water. But, since all water is different and distilled water is free of impurities that won't clog the pours, it is HIGHLY recommended to use distilled water only.

I hope this helps

~Mark
[Reply]
jaymz 09:00 AM 11-05-2008
Thanks for the replies, i'll just wait then. I'm just a little low now, around 60% compared to my usual 65% - so i should be good till later tonight or tomorrow.
[Reply]
kgoings 09:03 AM 11-05-2008
Do you have R/O water?
[Reply]
tsolomon 09:53 AM 11-05-2008
Why couldn't you put the beads and a glass of water in a small closed container and just let the beads absorb the water through the air, then there shouldn't be any contamination. If you can warm the container up by placing it near a heat vent or in a warm place like the kitchen, the air should then be able to hold more moisture and the beads will try to absorb it. At least that make sense from my way of thinking, but I don't see 60% RH as bad for the short term.:-)
[Reply]
N2Advnture 11:30 AM 11-05-2008
Originally Posted by tsolomon:
Why couldn't you put the beads and a glass of water in a small closed container and just let the beads absorb the water through the air, then there shouldn't be any contamination. If you can warm the container up by placing it near a heat vent or in a warm place like the kitchen, the air should then be able to hold more moisture and the beads will try to absorb it. At least that make sense from my way of thinking, but I don't see 60% RH as bad for the short term.:-)
You can use this method as well, thanks for the tip in Tom :-)
[Reply]
jaymz 06:21 PM 11-05-2008
Originally Posted by tsolomon:
Originally Posted by N2Advnture:
You can use this method as well, thanks for the tip in Tom :-)
Maybe i wasn't clear enough in my original post, but i *never* put water directly on my beads. I would have taken the humid-eze in a shot glass and let the beads absorb it like i do with my distilled water. would that have made a difference?
[Reply]
Up