Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Tatuaje Series P (The $3 Tat!)
OHRD 02:09 PM 07-26-2010

Size: 5×50, Robusto (P2)

Wrapper: Nicaraguan Habano

Binder: Nicaraguan

Filler: Nicaraguan (Mixed filler)

Strength: Medium

Price: Box of 31, $104.99

Grade: 9.0

The Series P from Tatuaje, or the White Label, is Pete Johnson’s most affordable option at a little over $3 a stick. Available in 4 sizes and sold in nailed cabinet boxes of 31, the affordability comes from the mixed filler, which contains both medium and long filler known as a Cuban sandwich. The Series P is handcrafted under the eye of Pepin Garcia at the Tabacalera Cubana factory in Esteli and employs the same Nicaraguan puro blend as the Havana VI (review); apparently the mixed filler is leftover scraps from the VI. The savings on this stick has many Tatuaje lovers calling this their everyday smoke.

The available sizes are 55/8x45 (Corona Gorda, P1), 5×50 (Robusto, P2), 6×50 (Toro, P3), and 7×47 (Churchill, P4). I prefer smaller ring gauges and have really enjoyed both the P1 and P2 vitola. I picked these up on sale from Famous Smoke Shop – they have a Test Flight, which features 2 smokes in each of the 4 vitolas – I paid $22 for the 8 smokes, which was an incredible deal, so be on the lookout.

On to the review.

Pre-light, 1.6:
Well packed without any soft spots, the P2 has a rustic exterior with light and dark brown shades splotched throughout, prominent veins, and a few raised areas – it reminds me of very well worn leather. Along the seams the roll is flawless, the foot is well packed, and the triple cap is sloppily placed. The simple thin band works well with this cigar. The aroma has an earthy sweetness at the cap and moves spicier toward the foot. The cold draw shows a slight resistance with flavors of citrus, oak, and a nice lingering zest.

Burn, 1.7:
There is little to complain about on the burn – though the draw is open and the ash is loose and flaky, this is all to be expected with a mixed filler cigar. I will say that the construction on this smoke is superior to most other mixed filler cigars I’ve had. The draw becomes tight through the middle third and the runs become more pronounced, but there was never a re-light or demand for attention required.

Flavor, 2.8:
The Series P shines exactly where you want it to – in the flavor profile. Up front, there is a burst of mild spice with a creamy sweetness that coats my palate. The finish is thick and syrupy with lingering moments of oak. This profile remains throughout the first third of the smoke. Progressing, the finish becomes dryer and a muted citrus most similar to orange peel remains on the profile border. The smoke remains mild through the middle and the cream passes. Moving toward the conclusion, the earthy profile really stands out with strong notes of cedar, oak, and a smoky undertone. All in all, there is a nice complexity to this cigar, though I do wish the creaminess had remained a bit longer.

Overall, 2.9:
You are going to be hard pressed to find a $3 and change smoke with this kind of complexity and construction – Pete Johnson has done us a service creating the Series P. With the sale price I found on these, I actually paid $2.75 per cigar – this has to be one of the best values available right now. Though not the most attractive cigar in his line, it shines where it is supposed to, with a wonderful Nicaraguan flavor profile that entertains and keeps you guessing. You will not regret purchasing this cigar – go ahead and get a cabinet of 31. If you’re not happy with them, send me an email, and I’ll probably buy them off of you!

(Total: 9.0)
[Reply]
timj219 02:38 PM 07-26-2010
Thanks for the review - I've been debating these and now I'm going to give them a try.
[Reply]
Brutus2600 02:41 PM 07-26-2010
Having just tried my first tat this month I haven't tried anything past the VI series, and this makes me want to pick up some P4's right now!

*wanders off to buy some smokes*

:-)
[Reply]
bigdix 02:51 PM 07-26-2010
Nice review, brother, thanks! :-)
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 03:08 PM 07-26-2010
Great Review!! These are my favorite tats!
[Reply]
longknocker 04:46 PM 07-26-2010
I Love these, but aren't they discontinued?????:-)
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 04:50 PM 07-26-2010
Originally Posted by longknocker:
Yep. Image
[Reply]
bigliver 06:19 AM 07-27-2010
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
Yep. Image
D@mnit!
[Reply]
Brutus2600 07:02 AM 07-27-2010
Discontinued, but not unavailable yet. You can still find them for sale some places.
[Reply]
wayner123 08:58 AM 07-27-2010
I am surprised that you got so much flavor out of these. Over the years, I have smoked a number of these and they are mild at the most to me. Maybe these are aged and get stronger with aging?
[Reply]
KenyanSandBoa 09:12 AM 07-27-2010
Great review!! :-)

Originally Posted by longknocker:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
Yep. Image
That stinks...:-)
[Reply]
OHRD 06:24 AM 07-28-2010
Originally Posted by wayner123:
I am surprised that you got so much flavor out of these. Over the years, I have smoked a number of these and they are mild at the most to me. Maybe these are aged and get stronger with aging?
I can see how folks used to med/full sticks wouldn't find these as enjoyable. My palate and tolerance is the medium range, so these were just right, and I was happy w/ the flavor notes in them, especially if you're coming off a Domincan/Connecticut streak.
[Reply]
Krish the Fish 07:06 AM 07-28-2010
Maybe the one I had was a dud, but I couldn't get anything more than cardboard flavor-wise from the Series P I had a couple weeks back. Burn issues were prevalent as well.
[Reply]
OHRD 09:46 AM 07-28-2010
Originally Posted by Brutus2600:
Discontinued, but not unavailable yet. You can still find them for sale some places.
I sent a tweet to Pete Johnson, asking about the availability of these, and here is what he said:

"it's on production hold at this time. Should come back next year."
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 10:29 AM 07-28-2010
My favorite Tat. They priced this cigar just right too. I think they replaced it with the Ambos Mundos or something.
[Reply]
sofaman 11:00 AM 07-28-2010
You just cant beat these for the $
[Reply]
warren G. 02:40 PM 07-28-2010
Originally Posted by matthewjmichael:
I sent a tweet to Pete Johnson, asking about the availability of these, and here is what he said:

"it's on production hold at this time. Should come back next year."
:-)nice...
[Reply]
Ratters 12:13 AM 07-29-2010
Originally Posted by Krish the Fish:
Maybe the one I had was a dud, but I couldn't get anything more than cardboard flavor-wise from the Series P I had a couple weeks back. Burn issues were prevalent as well.
Yep, $3 and that's more than I'd pay. I like the Ambos Mundos (either one) much more, a bit unbalanced but much better flavors and more of them.
[Reply]
kelmac07 07:11 AM 07-29-2010
Never had the "P", but the sumatra Ambos Mundos is a decent value stick.
[Reply]
AUguy 11:43 AM 07-30-2010
Thanks for the review. I loved the Tat Reds so I will give these a try sometime especially since they are half the price.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up