Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Don Payo El Baron Toro ** VINTAGE**
Don Fernando 12:52 AM 07-04-2018
This is a gem that I found in my humidor, and it’s at least 8 years old. Don Payo El Baron Toro, a 6×50 Nicaraguan puro that was made by Guillen Cigars aka GDW Cigars, the guys that made Reserva Miraflor, Goviada and the Don Fernando cigars of which you find some reviews on my blog. And after 8 years it’s back, only at a website called untoldleaf.com though

When I grabbed this cigar from my humidor it reminded me of the Reserve Miraflor and Goviado because of the ring, but I wasn’t sure so I went to google and found an old inventory list of my humidor from 2010 where I posted that it was a cigars from GWD/Guillen so that confirmed my suspicion. And since I like the Reserve Miraflor, Goviado and Don Fernando cigars I might be in for a pleasant surprise.

The mocha colored wrapper is wrinkled like the skin of an 80 year old sailor, but it doesn’t have big veins and is quite oily and evenly colored. The ring is simple, black glossy paps, a golden picture of a woman in what seems to be a religious setting and the text Don Payo El Baron and handmade in Nicaragua on the back. Not the best quality print, but then again, what can you expect from a small factory that didn’t have any real sales back then. The construction is flawless, a well rolled, well shaped cigar with a strong aroma of wet straw and pepper.

I cut the cigar with my xikar butterfly cutter. The cold draw is great, I taste raisin and pepper. After lighting I taste coffee with some lemon. After half an inch I taste spices and sugar. The sweetness turns into maple syrup with some herbs and cedar, smooth and well balanced. Halfway the cigar is still nicely sweet with cedar and now also with some pepper. The sweetness slowly fades away. The cigar is very smooth. At the end I taste a nice dose of pepper.

The draw is marvelous. The smoke is plentiful but could be a bit thicker. The salt and pepper colored ash is firm. The burn is straight, this is a well made cigar. The cigar is smooth after 8 years of aging, well balanced, medium bodied and flavored. The smoke time is close to two hours.

Would I buy this cigar again? I wish.

Score: 93

https://cigarguideorg.wordpress.com/...el-baron-toro/
[Reply]
Up