Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>La Palina maduro toro
borndead1 08:42 PM 02-14-2016
I've heard good things about this line, so I grabbed a couple of singles to check them out. First thing I notice about this cigar is that it is abnormally dark. This leads me to believe that the wrappers are either steamed or treated with some kind of "bethune" or tobacco juice concentrate. The cigar appears to be well constructed and is heavy in the hand. I snip the cap and the draw is perfect.

First few draws...sweet on the draw, a bit of spice in the nostrils. A bit of cocoa on the finish.

About 1" in...slight stains on my fingers already. I think they went beyond steaming on these wrappers and used some kind of concoction. Probably concentrated tobacco juice, because I don't notice any chemical aftertaste. Burn is good, ash is strong, flavors have opened up a bit to include a bit of coconut.

About 2" in...this cigar is very sweet. The draw is sweet, I can taste sweetness on the snork, and on the finish. Cocoa and coconut on the finish as well.

About halfway...flavors are becoming a bit harsh. Chemical aftertaste. And my thumb, index and middle fingertips are brown. I'm declaring this cigar nasty and tossing it.

Final thoughts...with an obviously enhanced wrapper and the flavor turning nasty by the halfway point, the La Palina maduro is a dud. This is easily the worst cigar I've had so far this year.
[Reply]
Remo 09:11 PM 02-14-2016
I have had a few also, diesel fuel is what I recall, odd because I really like some of their other smokes.
[Reply]
kelmac07 05:43 PM 02-15-2016
Odd...I've smoked through a box of these and loved them.
[Reply]
Remo 05:52 PM 02-15-2016
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Odd...I've smoked through a box of these and loved them.
But, your palate doesn't work. :-)
[Reply]
mahtofire14 05:55 PM 02-15-2016
I'm a big fan of La Palina's maduros:-)
[Reply]
Remo 06:01 PM 02-15-2016
Originally Posted by mahtofire14:
I'm a big fan of La Palina's maduros:-)
Love the Kill Bill's and Goldie's, just not the Maduro which is odd...oh well.
[Reply]
Weelok 02:29 AM 02-16-2016
One mans Diesel is another mans Unholy Cocktail, or something like that.
[Reply]
Sooner 06:22 AM 02-16-2016
Originally Posted by Remo:
I have had a few also, diesel fuel is what I recall, odd because I really like some of their other smokes.
Now there is an idea for some infused cigars. Manly infusions.

Diesel
Ultra Premium Petrol
Hydraulic 32
5W30
NLGI 2 Grease
Graphite

You could easily compete with the Acids and Naturals!
[Reply]
mahtofire14 10:40 AM 02-16-2016
Originally Posted by Weelok:
One mans Diesel is another mans Unholy Cocktail, or something like that.
Well played sir.....
[Reply]
Up