Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Oliva G Figurado
timj219 10:17 AM 08-05-2010
Only one pic - my camera died midway through

Appearance and feel
6 1/2 x 60
Box press and nicely tapered through its entire length Color is slightly mottled med dark
No soft spots very firm at the foot. Slightly rough to the touch.

Pre Light
very mild aroma pre light draw feels free

The Smoke
The light was tricky for me - my first closed foot cigar combined with my first torch lighter caused me to toast behind the closed foot on one side so the burn started out uneven but it evened up with no help from me. The aroma is wonderful - maybe the best smelling lit cigar I've had. It's the only African Cameroon I've tried maybe that accounts for it.

First two thirds
First few draws were light on smoke but when the burn hit the fat part of the stick that changed to plenty of billowage. Smooth but not at all bland. It seems to me it avoids the extremes. No pepper to speak of but also no overt sweetness. Just a good woody tobacco taste that stayed consistent through 2/3.

Final third saw a very small increasing strength of flavors but no bitterness at all and no increased heat. I let it go with a little over an inch remaining.

Burn was generally nice throughout but it did go out on me once - probably the 100% humidity here today

Overall impression
I don't think I have enough smokes under my belt to attempt any kind of numerical grade so I'll stick to my impressions without reference to any comparative or absolute standards.
I did not detect a lot of complexities here but experienced a lot of very fine and consistent flavor. The figurado delivered a solid medium nicotine kick that I definitely felt on an empty stomache. I paid just under $5 per stick for a 5er of these cigars and IMO this was worth every penny. I will definitely keep an Oliva G in my humidor and the consistency of the flavor from beginning to end may very well be a result of the conical shape. I would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone.
[Reply]
Azaelius 10:51 AM 08-05-2010
Great review! the G series is one of my favorties (along with every other Oliva :-)) though i haven't tried this one in particular! Sadly, my serie G all seem to have gone up i smoke! I must purchase mo'... I'll have to keep my eyes out for this one.

On a side note... that thing looks like a railroad spike. Srsly. :-)
[Reply]
Up