Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Connecticut by Rocky Patel
SmokingPoker 07:47 PM 03-26-2010
My first review for Cigar Asylum so here goes...

The weather here in my part of Florida is finally getting nice and I have been looking forward all day to a nice smoke and a couple of brews with the girlfriend before dinner. She usually likes a few puffs as well so I thought the Rocky Patel Connecticut from my 12 stick sample flight that arrived today would do the trick. Paired beverage was was Yuengling Black and Tan pre-dinner.
Appearance and Presentation:
A rather underwhelming band, but a very nice feel and firmness to the stick overall. The wrapper had some slight veins and some frog eyes, but nothing major that took away from the overall aesthetics. Smooth, dry texture. The fragrance across the length of the stick was pleasant and slight sweet.
Properties:
The clean, low resistance cut was accomplished with my rather utilitarian (cheap :-)) double guillotine cutter. Initial light and draw was easy and even. The ash was grey in color and had a nice firmness which surrendered without any struggle later in the smoke (ashing yourself isn't an issue). The smoke was VERY EFFORTLESS and even throughout. The draw stayed velvety smooth over the entire length.
Taste:
Mild, even and again velvety smooth throughout. The only pepper notes hit were at initial draw. As the stick hit its pace, notes of fresh coffee sauntered in and out of the overall creamy consistency which would turn to a more buttery consistency. Some slight (ever so slight) caramel hints could be detected. By the finish (nubbed it for sure) some rather pleasant wood accents became noticeable which added to the overall pleasant buttery finish.
Comments:
If you're looking for a nice easy smoke that requires no maintenance and little to no smoke, this is it. I savored this smoke and shared with the lady for over an hour and three brews with only having to relight once (going into last third) and no touch ups. Complimented the beverage nicely and actually brought out some nice sweet grain hints within the beer. Mild lovers should go gaga for this, but I feel there is something here for those with more hearty palates as well. Take this baby down with a stout or a robust ale and let the world just pass you by.

Side-note:
The lady loved every puff and I thought the added bonus of sharing the smoke was fantastic. :-)
Attached: Rocky Patel Connecticut 002.jpg (108.6 KB) Rocky Patel Connecticut 004.jpg (93.0 KB) Rocky Patel Connecticut 005.jpg (105.2 KB) Rocky Patel Connecticut 007.jpg (108.8 KB) 
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 07:49 PM 03-26-2010
Thanks for the review brother....
[Reply]
GHC_Hambone 08:02 PM 03-26-2010
Nice review! I love a good Connecticut smoke.
[Reply]
G G 08:15 PM 03-26-2010
Great review. :-)
[Reply]
tupacboy 11:28 PM 03-26-2010
nice review... i smoked this while pulling weeds on my hillside... perfect light long smoke for the job :-)
[Reply]
MichaelJ 06:15 AM 03-27-2010
Nice review. :-) I haven't had one in a while, but I've enjoyed a few with an early morning cup of coffee on the deck. Yum.
[Reply]
Boobar 07:39 PM 03-28-2010
These are some of my new found favorites. Thanks for the review :-)
[Reply]
postjack 08:08 PM 03-28-2010
great review, and as a mild cigar guy I love this stick. there were some awesome deals on boxes of these on cbid a few months back. $50 quick buys if i recall correctly.
[Reply]
MichaelJ 05:40 AM 04-08-2010
4/8/10 Daily Deal

http://www.joecigar.com/index.asp
[Reply]
elderboy02 07:13 AM 04-08-2010
Nice review. I enjoy these, but not as much as the Oliva Connecticut Reserve Lonsdale.
[Reply]
kelmac07 07:18 AM 04-08-2010
Outstanding review Mark!! :-)
[Reply]
OHRD 08:09 AM 04-08-2010
Great job, thanks for sharing!
[Reply]
Ogre 06:29 PM 04-18-2010
Just had my first one, would have to agree 100% with that review. Sweet cigar.
[Reply]
AUguy 03:26 PM 08-03-2010
I am sitting on one of these thanks to a bomb from Chingas. Gonna fire it up this weekend sometime.

Thanks for the review.
[Reply]
spider1980 04:23 PM 08-03-2010
nice review. i just had one of these this morning :-) its a good cigar but a little mild for what im use to smoking regularly. perfect for the morning or people who like very mild cigars.
[Reply]
Up