Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Humidity Gel
bigloo 02:15 PM 10-23-2008
Guys,

I use a combo of beads and gel. As you know, gel only takes a few refills before needing to be replaced. I have really nice gel jjars and just want the replacement gel beads (the small dry things that expand 1000 times). Does anyone know a source for these?

thx,

Lu
[Reply]
Scimmia 02:31 PM 10-23-2008
Contact Shilala, I think he's got a bunch of the stuff.
[Reply]
bigloo 09:23 PM 10-23-2008
thanks man, did that hopefully he is packing!
[Reply]
N2Advnture 05:15 AM 10-24-2008
Originally Posted by bigloo:
Guys,

I use a combo of beads and gel. As you know, gel only takes a few refills before needing to be replaced. I have really nice gel jjars and just want the replacement gel beads (the small dry things that expand 1000 times). Does anyone know a source for these?

thx,

Lu
The "gel" is a super absorbent polymer (completely different from silica beads) and was originally designed for agricultural use. Check your local nursery to buy the gel.

Side note, the gels tend to over humidify and have no regulating properties (even with "PG" added). PG bonds to water molecules has a release point of 70% RH but has minimal absorbtion properties for lowering RH.

Additionally, the gels have been know to swell and explode in humidors with over saturated (not good for your cigars).

I hope this helps

~Mark

[Reply]
bigswol2 03:03 PM 10-24-2008
Originally Posted by bigloo:
Guys,

thx,

Lu
I have some in my desk. PM me your addy and I'll send you some out. A little of this stuff goes a long way.
[Reply]
bigloo 04:42 PM 10-24-2008
Originally Posted by bigswol2:
I have some in my desk. PM me your addy and I'll send you some out. A little of this stuff goes a long way.
Bigswol,
Thanks much man!
Lu
[Reply]
ThePict 05:19 PM 10-24-2008
I've had good luck using the gel with a 60/40 (PPG/H2O) mix. It keep my humi at 63% when I remember to give them an occasional stir.
[Reply]
bigloo 08:11 PM 10-24-2008
I think the combo of gel and beads is great. In a 150 ct humidor, I keep a 2oz jar of gel with 4 oz of beads and 1 oz gel and 1 oz beads in 25 ct humidors. I have charged the beads in all humidors once when they first arrived, all I do is top off the gel probably once every 3-4 months, humidity in all 7 humis is solid at 68% (which is the bead humidity preset). Its is silly simple to maintain.
[Reply]
Up