Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Anyone else
The Saint 10:37 PM 05-06-2009
Tired of seeing "Cuban-esque" when companies describe their cigar?
[Reply]
theonlybear4CORT 11:36 PM 05-06-2009
Yeah but not as much as "reminds me of a barn yard,smells like a barn yard" if a cigar smells like hose poop I'll just pitch it.
[Reply]
duckmanco 12:41 AM 05-07-2009
yeah, but more tired of cuban seed.... I think its sort of understood now and not necessary to keep printing it.
[Reply]
shadow king 01:40 AM 05-07-2009
Its their pitch to get newbs to try it. CC's and NC's are like apples and oranges for about 95% of the product out there. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of good NC's out there. But to call them cubanesque is a slap in the face imho. Pretty much once you go Cuban you never go back. Pardon the pun...:-)
[Reply]
DougBushBC 01:55 AM 05-07-2009
Its just like "Cuban Seed" or "Havana" on the Label. In my industry it is the American producers calling their beef "American Kobe Beef" or "Kobe-style beef". In the wine world it is "Champagne Method" or "California Champagne". People will always reflect that which is the marker for the industry.
[Reply]
SmokinApe 09:14 AM 05-07-2009
I think it's stupid... It is BS marketing in an attempt to get your money...

I was at the B&M and the guy pointed out a cigar and told me it was the most "Cubanest" cigar made. I asked how he knew, what made it cubanesque and if he ever smoked a cuban...

He told me, the manufacturer told him, he didn't know, and he hadn't...
[Reply]
14holestogie 09:16 AM 05-07-2009
Originally Posted by SmokinApe:
I think it's stupid... It is BS marketing in an attempt to get your money...

I was at the B&M and the guy pointed out a cigar and told me it was the most "Cubanest" cigar made. I asked how he knew, what made it cubanesque and if he ever smoked a cuban...

He told me, the manufacturer told him, he didn't know, and he hadn't...

I'm sold. :-)
[Reply]
hotreds 09:17 AM 05-07-2009
Yes
[Reply]
Hardcz 09:24 AM 05-07-2009
I don't see what the big deal is. If you can get cigars that taste like cubans, why buy cubans... :-)
[Reply]
GreekGodX 09:29 AM 05-07-2009
For me it is like the domestic Feta cheese. The label will say greek style feta cheese. It is not the same!!

NC's will never be like CC's.
[Reply]
mikeyj23 09:29 AM 05-07-2009
Originally Posted by DougBushBC:
Its just like "Cuban Seed" or "Havana" on the Label. In my industry it is the American producers calling their beef "American Kobe Beef" or "Kobe-style beef". In the wine world it is "Champagne Method" or "California Champagne". People will always reflect that which is the marker for the industry.
well methode champenoise IS a legitimate term/process, but that's neither here nor there.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
borndead1 09:30 AM 05-07-2009
Meh, it's a marketing ploy. If the cigar tastes good, burns good I don't care if they call it Ronald McDonald's Private Reserve.
[Reply]
Mugen910 09:31 AM 05-07-2009
Originally Posted by sonic_mike:
Yeah but not as much as "reminds me of a barn yard,smells like a barn yard" if a cigar smells like hose poop I'll just pitch it.
:-)
[Reply]
Coz77 09:33 AM 05-07-2009
Originally Posted by sonic_mike:

I don't know Mike....Some of the best cigars I've had smell like barn yard on the prelight. Personally if I pull a smoke out of the humi and get a wife of barnyard 9 out of 10 times I'm in for a treat....Ive never had the barnyard smell come through after lighting it though :-). Might pitch the smoke if that was the case.
[Reply]
newlifetaxidermy 11:18 AM 05-07-2009
I agree. I gave a buddy of mine a Hoyo Epicure No2 when he invited me over to watch the superbowl. I had to explain that it was the real deal. He was thinking cuban seed and Habano wrapper by the terms on the band.
[Reply]
Volt 11:24 AM 05-07-2009
Originally Posted by borndead1:
Meh, it's a marketing ploy. If the cigar tastes good, burns good I don't care if they call it Ronald McDonald's Private Reserve.
+1
[Reply]
DougBushBC 12:07 PM 05-07-2009
Originally Posted by mikeyj23:
well methode champenoise IS a legitimate term/process, but that's neither here nor there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Understood, that doesn't mean that it is Champagne. It is a way of producing something that will be close but not quite, just like cigar manufacturers are trying to do.
[Reply]
BryanB 03:04 PM 05-07-2009
Dutch Masters are cuban seed according to the box. I don't want cuban seed. But as long as the "idiots" are buying this cuban terms up then it will continue. Maybe the embargo will be lifted and everyone can decide which they like better.
[Reply]
AD720 03:21 PM 05-07-2009
Originally Posted by Coz77:
I don't know Mike....Some of the best cigars I've had smell like barn yard on the prelight. Personally if I pull a smoke out of the humi and get a wife of barnyard 9 out of 10 times I'm in for a treat....Ive never had the barnyard smell come through after lighting it though :-). Might pitch the smoke if that was the case.
:-)
[Reply]
flat6nut 03:26 PM 05-07-2009
Why smoke a Cuban when you can have Dominican?
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up