Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Air travel & cigars
RevSmoke 06:26 AM 06-05-2023
I have to travel by air later this month, and will be gone for a few days.
I tried to look up some stuff about what I can take when I travel.

If you have traveled by air recently, help me out.

What can I bring with me?
I think...
I can take cigars in my traveldor, in my suitcase..
I cannot take a loaded lighter, but possibly empty?
Or, just get a cheap one when I get to destination?

What I am unsure about is a cigar cutter? I am thinking I cannot take a blade cutter? But....?
Can I take a punch cutter?

Thanks for your help!

Peace of the Lord be with you!

Thanks
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 06:31 AM 06-05-2023
Todd, I haven’t traveled a while with cigars, but when I did, I’d always take them in my carry on. Never had an issue. As for the cutter, I’d pack a cheap one in my checked bag. Lighters, I’d just buy a cheap one when I got there. My friend recently had his lighter confiscated from his checked bag.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 06:34 AM 06-05-2023
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
Todd, I haven’t traveled a while with cigars, but when I did, I’d always take them in my carry on. Never had an issue. As for the cutter, I’d pack a cheap one in my checked bag. Lighters, I’d just buy a cheap one when I got there. My friend recently had his lighter confiscated from his checked bag.
I did not plan to bring a lighter, and I am not doing a checked bag - I will not be gone long enough.

Here is what the TSA site says: While cigar cutters are generally permitted, we recommend that you pack them in your checked baggage. TSA officers have the discretion to prohibit any item through the screening checkpoint if they believe it poses a security threat.

Any sharp objects in checked bags should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and inspectors.

It says that in regard to carry ons: Yes, special instructions. That is where my confusion comes.

Thanks!

Peace of the Lord be with you.
[Reply]
sigsauer 06:41 AM 06-05-2023
no lighter in your carry on.....I've always carried my zino cutter without incident.....cigars in traveldor works fine....pic up a bic when you land......I also pack stick matches in my backpack
[Reply]
Buckeye Jack 07:44 AM 06-05-2023
Search "SOTO Pocket Torch w/Refillable Lighter" on Amazon......you can carry on or check a soft flame lighter, which is what the insert is. The rest of it just leave in two pieces. I always carry my traveldor just because I don't trust security not to take a cigar (or 2 or 3). I've never had any problems putting a guillotine in my bathroom bag either as carry on or checked.
[Reply]
jledou 07:51 AM 06-05-2023
In your carry-on you are good with cigars, a soft flame lighter (only 1) like a Bic but not a jet flame, you can also take a cutter - I tend to fly with a cheaper one but I have only had them taken overseas not in the US.

In checked luggage, knives, cutter etc are not an issue. Cigars are not necessarily recommend, you can take a jet flame lighter - but it has to be empty in and explosion proof case.
[Reply]
bonjing 08:38 AM 06-05-2023
Originally Posted by Buckeye Jack:
Search "SOTO Pocket Torch w/Refillable Lighter" on Amazon......you can carry on or check a soft flame lighter, which is what the insert is. The rest of it just leave in two pieces. I always carry my traveldor just because I don't trust security not to take a cigar (or 2 or 3). I've never had any problems putting a guillotine in my bathroom bag either as carry on or checked.
Just a bit of precaution. It’s been a few years since it happened but I did have my SOTO confiscated while going through security for a connecting flight. I may be the one of on the asylum as I and many others have gotten through no problem, but be aware you can lose it. Wasn’t to much of a loss but a loss none the less.
[Reply]
Buckeye Jack 09:05 AM 06-05-2023
Originally Posted by bonjing:
Just a bit of precaution. It’s been a few years since it happened but I did have my SOTO confiscated while going through security for a connecting flight. I may be the one of on the asylum as I and many others have gotten through no problem, but be aware you can lose it. Wasn’t to much of a loss but a loss none the less.
Wow that sucks....curious was it taken apart? I always travel with mine taken apart and never had an issue. I always thought they just wanted to make sure it didn't torch up if clicked and by having the insert out, it can't do that obviously. I guess it truly is their discretion.
[Reply]
stearns 09:05 AM 06-05-2023
I've never had a problem and I travel with cutters and lighters all the time, that being said I always bring cheap because some TSA agents will take anything regardless of what you're allowed to bring and there's not much you can do about it
[Reply]
markem 09:09 AM 06-05-2023
I always travel with my Halliburton as carry on. I also include a Palio or Xikar cutter plus a draw tool.

I tend to just buy a Bic lighter at my endpoint. I'm told that soft flames are ok but butane are not.

Your TSA may vary.
[Reply]
Brian D. 11:14 AM 06-05-2023
Originally Posted by stearns:
I've never had a problem and I travel with cutters and lighters all the time, that being said I always bring cheap because some TSA agents will take anything regardless of what you're allowed to bring and there's not much you can do about it
It's not a huge sample group, but the folks who travel to Shack Herf by air relate the same thing any time the subject is brought up. As do my local cigar friends.
[Reply]
bonjing 12:23 PM 06-05-2023
Wow that sucks....curious was it taken apart? I always travel with mine taken apart and never had an issue. I always thought they just wanted to make sure it didn't torch up if clicked and by having the insert out, it can't do that obviously. I guess it truly is their discretion.

I really don’t remember if it was taken apart or not, I do remember him clicking it a few times and saying it was still a torch even if it didn’t have fuel. This was the same time I was asked to turn on my garmin nav because the agent didn’t know what it was. Like mentioned it’s up to the agent, I made it through one airport and not the transfer with it.
[Reply]
Weelok 12:28 PM 06-05-2023
Here is what works for myself.

Cutter in checked bag.

Bic lighters and matches in carry on. They will confiscate these in checked in luggage. I know, you can carry on but not check in? Yep.

You’re good to go. I put cigars in either check in or carry on. Depends on how much I’m carrying on which can be quiet a bit, computer, charger, etc
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 12:58 PM 06-05-2023
I've flown quite a bit over the last several months.

1. Cigars in travelador in my carry on, I don't trust them out of my sight.
2. Cutters have never been an issue.
3. I have been carrying a cheap eagle torch lighter the last few trips dating back to Nov of last year and never had anyone blink twice at it.

Safe travels!
[Reply]
icehog3 02:35 PM 06-05-2023
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
3. I have been carrying a cheap eagle torch lighter the last few trips dating back to Nov of last year and never had anyone blink twice at it.

Safe travels!
Yup, I've never been hassled over one of the Eagle torches. And if they did, they're only a couple bucks. :-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 04:41 PM 06-05-2023
Based on everyone’s experiences, it really depends on the TSA agent whether they’ll confiscate a lighter/cutter.
[Reply]
massphatness 07:55 AM 06-06-2023
Just got back from a recent trip -- utilized carry-ons only:

* No issue with my cigars packed in a travel humidor (I did transit customs on the way back and indicated I was returning with cigars I had brought with me & not purchased abroad. No issue there either.)

* I usually bring a guillotine style cutter and have never had an issue there. Usually, I bring a cheapie just in case. I did have a bag inspection caused by a pair of folding cigar scissors a couple years back. I stopped bringing those as a result.

* I frequently pack a cheap torch lighter in my carry on and leave it in my dopp kit. Have not yet had it confiscated though I suppose it's just a matter of time. Quoting Jack's reply because this is the system I used until the device went belly up, and I was too cheap to but another. One note though - not all soft flame lighters will work in the SOTO, Definitely research the brands that do if you go this route and bring multiples as I noticed issues with some working with the SOTO and some not even within the same package of lighters.

* When checking bags - everything goes in there.
[Reply]
bonjing 08:45 AM 06-06-2023
Originally Posted by massphatness:
Just got back from a recent trip -- utilized carry-ons only:

* No issue with my cigars packed in a travel humidor (I did transit customs on the way back and indicated I was returning with cigars I had brought with me & not purchased abroad. No issue there either.)

* I usually bring a guillotine style cutter and have never had an issue there. Usually, I bring a cheapie just in case. I did have a bag inspection caused by a pair of folding cigar scissors a couple years back. I stopped bringing those as a result.

* I frequently pack a cheap torch lighter in my carry on and leave it in my dopp kit. Have not yet had it confiscated though I suppose it's just a matter of time. Quoting Jack's reply because this is the system I used until the device went belly up, and I was too cheap to but another. One note though - not all soft flame lighters will work in the SOTO, Definitely research the brands that do if you go this route and bring multiples as I noticed issues with some working with the SOTO and some not even within the same package of lighters.

* When checking bags - everything goes in there.
Vin, for the SOTO, I was having the same issue of some lighters not working. Try turning up the gas and they should work. Just take the metal guard off and adjust the flame height knob to give more fuel.
[Reply]
Weelok 09:17 AM 06-06-2023
TSA in the US has seemed to lighten up significantly in the last few years. Pre-Covid, my checked luggage would get an inspection slip pretty much 100% of the times I traveled. They confiscated matches I would have in the checked luggage and leave me a slip of paper they took something and read the travel rules.

Perhaps I was on a list for a few years after the matches were confiscated?

But I carry on now two Bics and about four match boxes. Over the rules, never in question but if they do, it’s a Bic and small match boxes. Just forces me to find a Bic :-)

I didn’t want to risk my Palio but I like the idea of using a cheap cutter as I would imagine we all have plenty of those. They work good enough hah.

But don’t take my Palio!!!!!!!
[Reply]
bonjing 12:46 PM 06-06-2023
Originally Posted by bonjing:
Vin, for the SOTO, I was having the same issue of some lighters not working. Try turning up the gas and they should work. Just take the metal guard off and adjust the flame height knob to give more fuel.
Forgot to add that some lighters are a tad short, but the flame adjustment has worked as long as the lighter fits properly.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up