Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Joya de Nicaragua Cabinetta Serie #2
jimmyk26 12:04 AM 05-26-2010
This is a cigar that I have smoked 4 times. The review is primarily based off of the last sample that smoked, but is informed by my tasting notes of the previous experiences. I hope you enjoy and as always I appreciate feedback on both my contend and format.

Joya De Nicaragua Cabinetta Serie - #2 - Belicoso
$9
Initial impressions - Like all of the samples I have smoked of these cigars, this one was in rough shape. It was probably the worst I have seen so far with a large crack in the wrapper and a really distressed foot. Other than the imperfections, the cigar has no soft spots and seems well constructed. There is not much scent off of the wrapper but the foot is presents a sweet tobacco scent. The pre-light draw is good and leaves a hint of graham cracker taste in my mouth.

Inital Puffs - Right off the bat there are rich coffee flavors with a background of wood and nuts. The smoke is thick and plentiful.

1/3 - This cigar, despite its obvious visual flaws, starts out with thick smoke and an easy draw. The rich sweet coffee flavor presents as the dominate flavor and it is supported by a light wood that lingers on the plate in a prolonged finish. It is difficult to coax much of an ash on on this cigar and seems to fall off at will. In this first third there is also a slight hint of pepper on the finish as well.

2/3 - In this third the coffee flavor was complimented by a creamy addition and the cigar resembled more of a coffee and cream flavor that was rich and smooth on the palate. It also developed some nasty tar on the head, which for me is not uncommon with the cigars every sample I smoked developed tar at some point. I fixed it with by cutting of a bit more of the head and by slowing my smoke rate. The flavors then transitioned into a wood with a very light spice and the coffee faded a bit. Also the big crack has started to open up, this is the only cigar of the samples that I smoked that had this happen.

3/3 - The burn line has started to wander up the crack, while the flavors don't seem to be changing much they are still there to be enjoyed. The burn has corrected itself and the cigar seems to be back on track. Now that I have smoked 4 of these now and I haven't yet been able to get to the second wrapper, I am not quite sure why it is there in the first place.

Final thoughts - This cigar's strongest suit is its construction. With every sample I have smoked there have been cracks and tears in the wrapper and still they have all smoked very well. The flavors are not too complex and don't really change much through out the cigar, you either get a creamy coffee or a lightly spiced wood. Although I would recommend this cigar to try, I won't be buying to many in the near future. To me, this cigar competes head to head with the Oliva Connecticut Reserve and loses every time. There are many similarities: the shade wrapper, both are rolled in Nicaragua, both have rich coffee flavors, and both are milder cigars. The Oliva is just more complex and satisfying for me.
[Reply]
Skywalker 07:31 AM 05-26-2010
Very nice review!!!

Thank you! I appreciate your honesty! I smoked one a month ago and while it was a good smoke, it wasn't a great smoke! It is very subtle!

For the price, I expect more!
:-)
[Reply]
dannysguitar 11:16 AM 05-26-2010
Thanks for the review. I like this smoke and the Oliva Connie. I think I prefer the JDN, but I agree, the price is a little high.
[Reply]
Ratters 10:26 PM 05-26-2010
Nice review, I really like these smokes. I just wish the criollo went half way down the cigar, they get really good at that point. I always smoke them into the criollo. It goes down a bit farther in the corona size.
[Reply]
Madwolf 08:27 PM 10-27-2010
I have some of the No.2 6x50 Toros, well Ok to clairify I have a box of them. No cracks, and they all look good, clean lines. Sorry to hear all yours were banged up! They burn even, and I personally love em.
[Reply]
hscmit 08:39 PM 10-27-2010
thanks for the review
[Reply]
Up