Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
General Discussion>I was amazed at Circuit City......
macpappy 12:19 PM 01-19-2009
Saw all this when the local Circuit City closed in November. I was looking for a new monitor at the time and the one I wanted was on sale for 30% off and that made it $319.

Bought the same monitor at Best Buy - not on sale - for $279.

Any guess why I think Circuit City went bankrupt?
[Reply]
rack04 12:30 PM 01-19-2009
Originally Posted by kayak_rat:
Ours closed before Christmas. The night before the "Clearance" they went through and remarked everything at MSRP. They then marked they whatever percent off.......so for the most part you were paying more than you normally would. Ignorance of the masses.
There was a news story on local news that discussed liquidated sales at a popular clothing store. What they found was higher price tags on top of lower price tags. They would tear of the price sticker to find a price much lower.
[Reply]
Blueface 12:48 PM 01-19-2009
How could I forget to mention this.
My wife overheard a woman at the store who said she was at the West Palm store (mind you, that is about 40-45 minutes away from the Boca store) and she came all the way to this one because she needed two CD racks and they only had one in West Palm.

Now, here is what is funny.
That CD rack was $30 with 10% off for a whopping savings of $3.
Now, anyone care to guess on average what gas would cost to travel an hour and a half round trip?
Unreal!!!
[Reply]
Stogieboy 01:02 PM 01-19-2009
This thread provides more evidence that some people are just plain stupid. :-)Just like the idiots on cbid, ebay and others that pay retail or higher just to win the bidding. :-)
[Reply]
N2Advnture 01:14 PM 01-19-2009
Originally Posted by Blueface:
How could I forget to mention this.
My wife overheard a woman at the store who said she was at the West Palm store (mind you, that is about 40-45 minutes away from the Boca store) and she came all the way to this one because she needed two CD racks and they only had one in West Palm.

Now, here is what is funny.
That CD rack was $30 with 10% off for a whopping savings of $3.
Now, anyone care to guess on average what gas would cost to travel an hour and a half round trip?
Unreal!!!
Now THAT'S funny!
[Reply]
GTsetGO 01:16 PM 01-19-2009
some people are just retarded.

I stopped into our yesterday to look at some compact flash cards for my camera. for the 4gb one they wanted $55 with 10% off. The same CF card is at walmart for $34 everyday price.

it's a joke.
[Reply]
Blueface 01:18 PM 01-19-2009
Originally Posted by GTsetGO:
some people are just retarded.

I stopped into our yesterday to look at some compact flash cards for my camera. for the 4gb one they wanted $55 with 10% off. The same CF card is at walmart for $34 everyday price.

it's a joke.
But why pay "retail" when you can get 10% off?:-):-):-)
[Reply]
GTsetGO 01:22 PM 01-19-2009
Originally Posted by Blueface:
But why pay "retail" when you can get 10% off?:-):-):-)
hey, i was saving money cuz it was on sale. :-)
[Reply]
taltos 01:27 PM 01-19-2009
Wait until the liquidators take over. They will jack up prices and the discount off of those prices and make folks think that they are saving money. I was a long time warehouse manager for Service Merchandise and when they folded, I went to work for a liquidator. It took ten years of doing charity work to cleanse my soul of what those liquidators did to me. My advise is when those vampires take over, know the price of items before you buy and don't buy house brands since there is extremely limited recourse on warranty problems.
[Reply]
fxpose 01:29 PM 01-19-2009
I don't like crowded stores, no matter what the discount.
[Reply]
Blueface 01:30 PM 01-19-2009
Originally Posted by taltos:
Wait until the liquidators take over. They will jack up prices and the discount off of those prices and make folks think that they are saving money. I was a long time warehouse manager for Service Merchandise and when they folded, I went to work for a liquidator. It took ten years of doing charity work to cleanse my soul of what those liquidators did to me. My advise is when those vampires take over, know the price of items before you buy and don't buy house brands since there is extremely limited recourse on warranty problems.
Seems they may be there already.
Their website says it is all in the hands of the "liquidators" already.
[Reply]
Blueface 07:15 PM 01-19-2009
I guess I was not alone in this thought.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/34216
[Reply]
replicant_argent 07:25 PM 01-19-2009
Circuit City never tripped my trigger, nor has Best Buy. I think both of them are way too proud of their product, as evidenced in their prices and markup. They could (have) be much more successful if they only were a little more honest with the more intelligent public.
I can proudly say I have purchased less than a dozen or so things at either store.
[Reply]
Rabidsquirrel 07:35 PM 01-19-2009
Originally Posted by macpappy:
Saw all this when the local Circuit City closed in November. I was looking for a new monitor at the time and the one I wanted was on sale for 30% off and that made it $319.

Bought the same monitor at Best Buy - not on sale - for $279.

Any guess why I think Circuit City went bankrupt?
I don't know if this is the case in the ones that closed earlier, but the pricing is no longer in the hands of CC. The liquidators are now setting the 'great deals'. It's a tactic that they use frequently, and for good reason.

It works.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 08:22 PM 01-19-2009
One of the initial articles I read about Circuit City closing was the fact that the liquidators are in charge of selling at no less than 71% of retail.

So people expecting to break the bank saving money might as well just wait and hope stuff goes to auction. But by then all the idiots will have snatched up most of the stuff left. :-)
[Reply]
omowasu 08:46 PM 01-19-2009
Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
Circuit City never tripped my trigger, nor has Best Buy. I think both of them are way too proud of their product, as evidenced in their prices and markup. They could (have) be much more successful if they only were a little more honest with the more intelligent public.
I can proudly say I have purchased less than a dozen or so things at either store.
When I heard the CC liquidation, I was of course concerned for the employees... But I agree, CC was overall awful. The one or two things I purchased there (one small TV for a basement bar / cigar room years ago) werent that great of a deal, and to make matters worse, they always tried to cram the extended warranty down your throat at ridiculous costs. They were required to ask (or insist) on a useless extended warranty three times per transaction. Of course, I didnt return.

In addition, their cable and connector prices were ridiculous. $39.00 for a 3 foot USB connector with "gold plated" plugs? Seriously, their margin on those must have been 95%, especially given that they can be found on eBay for $0.99 each + shipping.

Best Buy is really no better, but they seem to have a more welcoming environment than CC, given their success. I have found it much easier to purchase electronics at Costco. They provide a 2-year warranty at no cost and they are usually cheaper than any electronics retailer. They even took a laptop back once when it had one dead pixel out of the box. That is service.
[Reply]
ucla695 07:28 AM 01-20-2009
The prices are a joke! Definitely know your prices before you go shopping because it’s easy to get caught up in the moment when you’re there. Unfortunately, the real deals will be found closer to when the stores close and the merchandise has been picked over thousands of times.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up