Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
General Discussion>CA Emergency Fund - Feedback please
SilverFox 03:07 PM 01-17-2009
Originally Posted by massphatness:
Love the concept, Fred.

Question: what if one of our brothers or sisters is in need for a reason other than job loss? What if he or she is having a hard time because a spouse is unemployed or there's a child in the house with an illness, etc.? Can they be nominated?

I apologize if I'm muddying the waters.
I am all for this, I like the idea of broader nomination as well.
[Reply]
tobii3 03:10 PM 01-17-2009
Absolutely great idea.

I'm on board!!
[Reply]
rhythm11 03:19 PM 01-17-2009
I like the idea and would be a contributor to this fund
[Reply]
shilala 03:20 PM 01-17-2009
Our Local calls this our "Benevolence Fund".
It's in place to help brothers who have fallen on hard times, whatever the case may be. Works out real well.
They mostly fund the BF through tshirt/junk sales at our fraternal activities.
[Reply]
CBI_2 03:23 PM 01-17-2009
Absolutely Brilliant! Count me in as a yes vote.
[Reply]
nozero 03:23 PM 01-17-2009
Pretty sure you can count on me as well. I'd like to add that I'd be willing to pay up to say $20.00 for membership toward something like this, one time or perhaps even annually. It could be completely anonymous or those who participate could be identified by some sort of tag, CACA Cigar Asylum Contributors Anonymous. j/k on that tag...
:-)
[Reply]
ahc4353 03:24 PM 01-17-2009
This is a fantastic idea. Here to support this effort anyway I can.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 03:24 PM 01-17-2009
I am definitely in for this in whatever form it takes. I don't know if this is possible, but if when you set up the donate button there could be a choice for a recurring monthly contribution that was automatically deducted that would be great. If that was not possible I will just set a monthly reminder on my calendar.

Great idea!!!
[Reply]
white_s2k 03:30 PM 01-17-2009
Great idea Fred, and I like the idea of keeping it anonymous.

Let me know what I can do. :-)
[Reply]
CigarDood 03:34 PM 01-17-2009
If you guys want to set something up like this, you should probably consider setting up an actual charitable organization to provide limited liability for those in charge and tax-deductible contributions for donors. PM me if you want to discuss.
[Reply]
macms 03:51 PM 01-17-2009
Originally Posted by CigarDood:
If you guys want to set something up like this, you should probably consider setting up an actual charitable organization to provide limited liability for those in charge and tax-deductible contributions for donors. PM me if you want to discuss.
In a more formal environment a charitable organizational LLC would be very appropriate. IMHO, the liability of overseeing this fund would be no greater than the donations for the troops fund. While tax deductible opportunities may result in greater donations, this is not meant as a program of CA or ongoing support to the recipient. The costs to implement a 501 (c) (3) would be prohibitive at this time.

A program like this could be hosted off site by the committee if needed to remove CA from liability issues. Any attorney's on CA could respond via PM to me with there thoughts.

I may be foolish, but I perceive this as a non-formal, grass roots effort by members to help out a guy out if/when needed. :-)
[Reply]
Sailkat 03:54 PM 01-17-2009
Great idea! You can count on us to help anyway we can.
[Reply]
14holestogie 04:09 PM 01-17-2009
I, too am in.
[Reply]
bobarian 04:15 PM 01-17-2009
This is a brilliant idea. :-) Just point us in the right direction and I am sure the donations will flow as generously as everyone donates for the troops!:-)
[Reply]
Darrell 04:18 PM 01-17-2009
BOTL taking care of BOTL, sounds like what we are ALL about. I'm on board. :-)
[Reply]
CigarDood 04:23 PM 01-17-2009
Originally Posted by macms:
In a more formal environment a charitable organizational LLC would be very appropriate. IMHO, the liability of overseeing this fund would be no greater than the donations for the troops fund. While tax deductible opportunities may result in greater donations, this is not meant as a program of CA or ongoing support to the recipient. The costs to implement a 501 (c) (3) would be prohibitive at this time.

A program like this could be hosted off site by the committee if needed to remove CA from liability issues. Any attorney's on CA could respond via PM to me with there thoughts.

I may be foolish, but I perceive this as a non-formal, grass roots effort by members to help out a guy out if/when needed. :-)
***THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE LEGAL ADVICE***

Maybe it's just the risk-averse lawyer in me, but I see a significant amount of risk in running a program like this. I'd rather not discuss the risks, etc. in an open forum, so if you want to discuss it, PM me.

As far as start-up costs are concerned, I could probably help you track down pro bono counsel to get this off the ground.
[Reply]
ashmaster 05:03 PM 01-17-2009
I'll do what I can to help. :-)
[Reply]
hotreds 05:05 PM 01-17-2009
A wonderful idea, but I too, would look before leaping. Thanks, CD for looking out for us! Hopefully we can get this off the ground with the "i's" dotted and "t's" crossed!
[Reply]
smokeyandthebandit05 07:42 PM 01-17-2009
Honestly I would help ANY BOTL in need.
[Reply]
SmokeyJoe 08:55 PM 01-17-2009
Originally Posted by macms:
I like CAMS! :-)
Or how about:

Hardship Emergency Relief Fund H.E.R.F.
! :-)

Great idea, Fred. You are a good-hearted man. :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up