Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Health and Fitness>So, went to the Dr. today...
Remo 06:09 PM 01-15-2015
A few years ago (2011) I mentioned that my back is pretty jacked up, I went and had an MRI back then and they found that the lower 3 discs are basically gone, did chiropractic stuff, injections and have been managing the pain for the last 3 years, starting to get shooting pain and numbness in my left leg.

Dr. looked at my old MRI and thinks I must be some sort of superman because my back was screwed in 11' he can only imaging what it's like now. Nothing else for me left to try to fix it other than cut in there and fuse it all up, so I am thinking about that at the moment.

Only 3 mos. of down time from the surgery, so we'll see.
[Reply]
pektel 06:18 PM 01-15-2015
Sending some prayers your way, Mike.

If it helps ease your mind: My 86 year old grandfather just had a similar surgery yesterday morning. He even had the numbness/tingling too. He had broken a vertebra about a year ago, and was getting progressively worse. They were able to successfully release the nerve and fuse 3 vertebra together.

If they can fix him, a young dude like you should be a walk in the park! You got this. :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 06:50 PM 01-15-2015
I have been going through back issues as well - injections and the like. Doctor has suggested fusing and I have to admit, it scares me...

Thoughts and prayers for you, Mike!
[Reply]
Remo 06:56 PM 01-15-2015
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
I have been going through back issues as well - injections and the like. Doctor has suggested fusing and I have to admit, it scares me...

Thoughts and prayers for you, Mike!
Same to you brother.
[Reply]
Remo 06:57 PM 01-15-2015
Originally Posted by pektel:
Sending some prayers your way, Mike.

If it helps ease your mind: My 86 year old grandfather just had a similar surgery yesterday morning. He even had the numbness/tingling too. He had broken a vertebra about a year ago, and was getting progressively worse. They were able to successfully release the nerve and fuse 3 vertebra together.

If they can fix him, a young dude like you should be a walk in the park! You got this. :-)
Thanks Peter
[Reply]
badbriar 07:00 PM 01-15-2015
Mike,
Hope the back improves. Hang in there - that surgery likely will fix what you need. Had a friend who was an Orthopedic surgeon and he said there wasn't much he couldn't fix with back surgery as long as the problem was not a nerve issue. You'll probably not be playing twister too much or swinging from the chandelier, but you will be able to fish, enjoy cigars and drink nice beers with the best of 'em! :-)
[Reply]
longknocker 07:04 PM 01-15-2015
Same Issues As You For Me, Mike, Except No Shooting Leg Pain. With The Leg Pain, I Would Have Some Type Of Surgery. I Would Recommend A Neurosurgeon, Also, To Do The Procedure. Thoughts & Prayers Headed Your Way, Brother!:-)
[Reply]
Remo 07:04 PM 01-15-2015
Ya buddy, if I do it now it's basically free since we are double covered with insurance, then I will be good to go when I come to Fl. :-)
[Reply]
Remo 07:06 PM 01-15-2015
Originally Posted by longknocker:
Same Issues As You For Me, Mike, Except No Shooting Leg Pain. With The Leg Pain, I Would Have Some Type Of Surgery. I Would Recommend A Neurosurgeon, Also, To Do The Procedure. Thoughts & Prayers Headed Your Way, Brother!:-)
Years of construction, hard living, heavy lifting and 17 years with 20 lbs of gear on your waist takes it's toll I guess.
[Reply]
Dave128 07:21 PM 01-15-2015
Prayers sent, Mike.
[Reply]
hotreds 07:45 PM 01-15-2015
Best wishes to you!
[Reply]
GWN 07:50 PM 01-15-2015
Mike, have a buddy who had his back fused a few years ago. If you want, I could hook you up via email if you have questions.
[Reply]
nutcracker 07:50 PM 01-15-2015
It's my bread and butter Mike. It really depends on the extent of surgery and how disabling the symptoms are.
Get a decent opinion from a prominent academic spine surgeon.
[Reply]
Remo 07:56 PM 01-15-2015
Originally Posted by nutcracker:
It's my bread and butter Mike. It really depends on the extent of surgery and how disabling the symptoms are.
Get a decent opinion from a prominent academic spine surgeon.
Will do, thanks!
[Reply]
icehog3 08:18 PM 01-15-2015
Mike, you're in my thoughts. Similar issues with my cervical spine, I basically make Franenstein's neck look flexible. I pray that the surgery will give you an improved quality of life, as that is what matters, My Friend.
[Reply]
sdoodle 08:32 PM 01-15-2015
Prayers going your way! Back pain is a horrible thing to endure especially when it radiates to other parts of the body.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 09:34 PM 01-15-2015
Ouch! Will keep you in my prayers, bro! Cannot even imagine what you are going through.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
[Reply]
irratebass 07:20 AM 01-16-2015
Sorry to hear Mike, nothing worse than back pain.......thoughts bro
[Reply]
Steve 08:09 AM 01-16-2015
Take care of that back brother...sucks trying to fish with a busted one. My dad put off back surgery for a year so he didn't miss trout season, but then again, he was a stubborn bad a$$. :-)
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 09:13 AM 01-16-2015
Positive thoughts coming your way from the West coast Mike.

Are the doctors going to run a new MRI and use your 2011 as a benchmark to see where your spine is currently at? A second opinion always helps, and shouldn't hurt the feelings of the first MD. As Peter mentioned above, make sure you select a top notch Orthopod for this type of surgery.

I'm sure your department will be working closely with you during your time off in recovery post-op and any PT.

Do you think this type of surgery will take you out of patrol and place you more in the desk area?
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up