Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Rocky Patel Factory Selects PC
duckmanco 10:06 AM 11-07-2008
I typically don't post too many reviews on any board, but given how good this cigar, in this price point was, I felt compelled to do one.

I picked up a bundle of 20 of these from famous for 42.00 bucks w/free shipping and split them with wigg. They have been resting for a whole 3 days or so in their cello in my cabinet at 67% rh. I could tell by the foot that the draw was going to be fine, and the whole bundle was not overly wet upon deliver, which was nice to see. I also could not find ANY defects in the wrapper color. This looks exactly like an unbanded Sungrown PC. After cutting, the draw was absolutely perfect, and the cigar lit easily.

Flavor: Started with an initial pepper flavor, with HUGE gobs of smoke on every puff throughout the entire smoke. The base flavor seems to be a citrus twang, with coffee, maybe a hint of cocoa and some woodiness here and there. There is also a constant base of pepper, but it never becomes overwhelming, mainly due to a nice slight sweetness. Also, I wasn't drinking anything with it. The flavors were pretty consistent and stayed creamy and smooth throughout the cigar. I never once touched up the wrapper.

Bottom line, I cannot imagine why anyone would pay full price for the sungrowns when these are astoundingly good for half the price. I wholeheartedly recommend these to anyone who already enjoys the Sungrowns, and to those who enjoy the flavors I found in a medium-fullbodied smoke. Overall, a fantastic smoke (budget or not) in a smaller vitola for the coming winter months for those of us banished to the outdoors.
[Reply]
Bruzee 03:09 AM 11-09-2008
Nice review... I wil have to try a couple of these. Thanks!
[Reply]
ripper 12:24 PM 11-09-2008
Sweet review - thank you duckmanco!
I am consistently slapped happy by the value of the Rocky seconds from Famous. Both the factory selects and the factory seconds are excellent bargains. Smoke the corojo and maduro seconds at home - and use the regular Rocky Patel Sun Growns and Edges in a box for handouts and trades.
[Reply]
trogdor 08:59 PM 07-10-2015
I found one of these in one of my humidors the other day. The sticker I put on it when I got it said it had been in there for over 8 years. The yard was dry enough to finally hop on the mower and cut the grass, so I lit one up and mowed. I remember liking these back in the day, and I have to say it was freaking great! The peppery nicotine flavor had faded, leaving a rich, delicious cigar. Thoroughly enjoyable.
I went to the famous website to see how much they are nowadays, and didn't see any sungrown selects, only selects for a bunch of other lines. Anyone know if they are still made? I'll have to see if the devil site has regular Sungrown PCs.
[Reply]
ripper 11:56 AM 07-11-2015
Marc, the Rocky Patel seconds used to be sold under the names Factory Selects, Factory Seconds, X-Outs or Liga X-Outs. There was a code for each initial in the Liga X-Out line, like any nitwit couldn't figure it out.
A-Edge
B-Sun Grown
C-Old World Reserve
D-Decade
E-Edge Light
Cannot find them anymore, but that's OK. I've moved past RP cigars, except for the Decade and 15th Anniversary.
If you're looking for a line of spicy seconds, the Nicaraguan Ligero-Laced 2nds from CI and cigar.com are a strong value, but they have stock issues. Is a Cain second.
The Nicaraguan Boutique Overruns are AJ seconds, but there is no telling which wrapper they will send.
[Reply]
Up