OHRD 10:13 AM 07-23-2010
Size: 5×50, Robusto

Wrapper: Brazillian Mata Fina

Binder: Columbian

Filler: Nicaraguan, Honduran, & Mexican

Strength: Medium/Full

Price: Box of 20, $121

Grade: 9.0

Back in the early 20th Century, before most of us were born, there was a cigar company known for making some of the best 10 cents cigars around – in fact, they made around 54 million of these cigars a year. The factory opened in 1875 and would eventually close in 1963. This company was R. G. Sullivan’s and the old historical brand name was 7-20-4, which was named in honor of where R. G. Sullivan’s original factory was located, on 724 Elm Street.

Some 45+ years later, Kurt Kendall, owner of Twins Smoke Shop, decided to revive the brand.

Kurt started the line with 4 sizes, 3 of which feature pigtailed caps. The sizes are sold in boxes of 20 for around $6 a pop, and they are typical sizes: Robusto (5×50), Torpedo (6.125×52), Corona (5.625×46), and Churchill (7×48). Kurt employed 5 different tobaccos for this line of cigars. You can visit Twins Smoke Shop online, which opened in 1997, and learn a bit more about them and about the 7-20-4.

So, on to the review.

Pre-light, 1.8:
The 7-20-4 by K.A. Kendall has a nice medium brown wrapper which has a little tooth, but is relatively smooth to the touch. The cigar is well packed with a well constructed pigtail capping the head of the smoke. The seams are excellent and there are no noticeable veins or bumps. The pre-light aroma is of woody tobacco, which is more prominent at the foot, while the cold draw produces a brush of warm spice. The band is not going to jump out at you off the shelf, but the numbering will intrigue you when browsing.

Burn, 1.8:
Cut, toasted, and lit, the draw on the Robusto is a little tight at the beginning but promptly opens up less than half an inch in. Producing a ton of smoke with a good temperature, the Kendall requires no touch ups or re-lights. The ash is not eye appealing but holds extremely well and only drops when I bump it off into the tray.

Flavor, 2.7:
The first third of this smoke is somewhat creamy with woody notes on the palate. There is a hint of spice on the back of the throat and I do pick up some darker notes here and there. The second third is of solid tobacco, no spice at all, and some notes of dark chocolate. The last third does not really transition but the flavor profile is still tasty and pleasing and the finish on this stick is nice and long.

Overall, 2.7:
The Kendall is a solid smoke in the six buck range. Great construction, a nice draw, and a pleasant flavor profile make this otherwise unbearable Georgia summer night enjoyable to me. I will pick a few more of these up the next time I run across them. I would like to try a different size and may revisit this post at that time.

(Total: 9.0)
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 10:28 AM 07-23-2010
Great review. These are one of my favorites. Love them!!!
[Reply]
OHRD 10:54 AM 07-23-2010
Originally Posted by BeerAdvocate:
Great review. These are one of my favorites. Love them!!!
What's your favorite size?
[Reply]
BlackIrish 01:51 PM 07-26-2010
Originally Posted by matthewjmichael:
What's your favorite size?
Nice review! I like these too, although the only one I've smoked is the corona.
[Reply]
dunng 01:58 PM 07-26-2010
Great to see these getting around... :-)
[Reply]
bigdix 02:54 PM 07-26-2010
Glad I got a test flight on the way from NHC :-)
[Reply]
8lug 03:01 PM 07-26-2010
Kurt has a brand new size call the Dog Walker, I tried it yesterday when i was at Twins. My best guess is that it's a 38 ring by 4.5 inches. Just the right size for my morning commute. Well worth the $5.00 price
[Reply]
bigdix 05:20 AM 07-27-2010
Just had the first of my sampler, the 7-20-4 Torpedo. Not a bad smoke at all, a few burn issues but that was about it. Not bad for the price, but I'm sure I'll like the smaller RG better. Just my 2 cents.
[Reply]
Up