OHRD 08:29 AM 07-21-2010

Size: 7×38, Lancero

Wrapper: Ecuadorian Connecticut

Binder: Dominican

Filler: Dominican

Strength: Mild

Price: Box of 20, $118

Grade: 9.1

Pride Cigars debuted at the 2009 IPCPR trade show in New Orleans, unveiling a Corojo and Connecticut series of cigars – each were originally available in 7 sizes, and they have since added an eight size, a 6×60 they call El Duro. Sold in boxes of 20 at just under $6 a stick, their first production run was of 20,000 sticks, and their second run was upped to 40,000. The Lancero that we are reviewing today is from the second run.

Pride Cigars is based out of Tampa, Florida, though their cigars are rolled in their own factory in Santiago, Dominican Republic, under the care of master blender Miguel Francisco. For a listing of B&M’s carrying their line of cigars, you may visit their website, where you will also see an illustrated guide to their large lineup of sizes. Pride Cigars is also on Twitter.

Company president Ares Contreras sent us samples of their Connecticut and Corjo line, and today we have the Connecticut Lancero for review. So, on to it!

Pre-light, 1.6:
The tightly twirled pigtail sits atop a triple cap that creates a great ascetic. There is a nice weight to the Connecticut wrapped Lancero – the wrapper has the slightest red hue to it and takes on a fairly clean exterior, though there is one large stalk like vein running the length of the cigar and some uneven seams. The Pride cigar is also spongy in the middle with a large soft spot just beneath the label. With a clean cap and a well packed foot, this is a slightly rugged, but clean cigar overall. The aroma is of cedar at the foot with sweet barnyard notes along the wrapper that reminds me of green hay and pencil wood. The draw has a slight resistance and the flavor is clean, though muted, with some mild sweet notes and a creamy barnyard on the finish.

Burn, 1.9:
The Lancero produces an even burn throughout with an adequate ash for the Lancero gauge; I’m beginning to enjoy the odd ash produced by Lanceros – multiple thin stacks of ash layered neatly atop of each other. There is a slight resistance which helps slow the smoke speed and a moderate amount of smoke is produced. A great burn temperature stays throughout and the construction proves to be nearly flawless.

Flavor, 2.8:
Up front is a palate coating burst of cream and through the first third, the smoke is characterized by a delicate profile full of cream and honey. Moving into the second third, the creamy profile remains, but it is more thick and chewy with a fuller tone that has bordering notes of cedar and even charcoal – the middle third has a more pronounced finish and some surprising complexity. The final third returns to the gentle profile present up front and it leads to a nice and smooth finish. Though remaining creamy throughout, there was still some intriguing transitions and some engaging flavor profiles.

Overall, 2.8:
Without question, this is one of the more shifty mild Dominican smokes I’ve ever had – the flavor profile was very engaging and seemed to offer a surprise with each transition. At just under $6 a stick, this is a box purchase for me. I’d like to try some of the other sizes first, especially the Robusto, but I was very pleased with this cigar – a flawless burn, great flavor profile, and an affordable price place this cigar atop my list of mid priced mild cigars.

(Total: 9.1)
[Reply]
CheapHumidors 09:51 AM 07-21-2010
I'm definitely a fan of the Pride cigar line. Ares is from here in Tampa and he doesn't disappoint. Especially, as you said, given the price point.
[Reply]
GHC_Hambone 04:57 PM 07-21-2010
Sounds tasty, I enjoy milder cigars. Thanks for the review.
[Reply]
TheRiddick 06:10 PM 07-21-2010
The owner obviously knows nothing about wine...
[Reply]
Up