Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Puros Indios ''Special-Aged''
the MacDonald 01:29 PM 07-07-2010
Puros Indios ''Special-Aged''
(6.7" x 64) Piramide

In the interest of full disclosure I smoked a pipe almost exclusively for about 7 years, and my palate has changed considerably. In the last few months I have been very happily burning my way through Oliva O series perfecto’s, and all things Kristoff. I used to smoke PI’s often, and thought they were an “all right” cigar.

Pre-light: It’s a big damn cigar. I always liked the look of these, both because the shape emphasized the size of it and makes it almost cartoonish. It looks like the cigar to be smoked when planning a coupe in a South American country. The first clue that might be a cigar you want to smoke when you may have to drop it and make an escape into the jungle is that is surprisingly light for being such a behemoth. The wrapper is rough, and almost rustic. Pre light draw yields nothing at all, other than it was extremely loose. Clue # 2

First Third: I only have a single flame torch lighter, and I ended up charring the foot in placed rather than toasting it. It produced generous clouds of white smoke, another thing I take a near childish delight in. It began an uneven burn from that point forward. The initial taste (even with the charring) was almost non-existent. The strikingly white ash blossomed like a rose, a faint watered down coffee that was whisked with fresh-cut grass developed.

2nd Third: I found myself amazed that so tobacco, and so much smoke produce so little impact on the palate. The burn wondered every direction and was corrected often. The coffee and grass echoes find an undertone of tobacco on the sweeter side, that stared to come to the forefront, but again it was so faint that I had to nearly meditate to notice it.

3rd Third: More faint tobacco taste, if I cut the stick open at any point and laid the burn line down it would have looked like a market volatility chart in a very volatile market.

Conclusion: I really liked these once upon a time and I had higher hopes. I knew it was a mild stick, and not a sought after stick these days, but at least I have the memories.

Would I buy again? Nope. I paid somewhere around $10 for 6 of these “rare” and “specially aged” sticks. The burn was awful, and it was so mild, if it weren’t for the smoke I would have wondered if it was lit. Specially aged to me would imply some level of complexity, or some sort of interesting action in a stick, not a flat, faint, and yeah I’ll say it, frankly flaccid smoke.

Box Worthy? Maybe if the box had a special prize in it like a decoder ring.
[Reply]
macsauce13 01:40 PM 07-07-2010
Hate that you had a bad experience. I haven't had this blend, but really enjoy the Viejo line as a 'everyday/yard gar'. They aren't fantastic, but I really enjoy them!

Thanks for the review!
[Reply]
whodeeni 09:03 AM 07-08-2010
The Maduro Piramides are actually pretty good!

Thanks for sharing!
[Reply]
thebayratt 02:27 PM 07-08-2010
I really like these. I have about a dozen in my humi at most times. I have yet to try the maduro though.

Sorry you had a bad experience with this stick...
[Reply]
the MacDonald 12:23 PM 07-09-2010
Originally Posted by thebayratt:
I really like these. I have about a dozen in my humi at most times. I have yet to try the maduro though.

Sorry you had a bad experience with this stick...
It wasn't a bad experience, it was just so surprisingly mild. I am not a "gotta smoke the stongest cigar on the planet all the time" guy. Probably a "taste is subjective" issue on my part, but I really expected more flavor. I remebered more flavor from when I used to smoke these. I used to stand in the local B&M week after week, trying to decide between those and the old Sosa's. Having smoked a pipe for a while, I found that my palate is generally more sensitive to tastes, but not in this case.
[Reply]
TheLostGringo 02:27 PM 07-09-2010
Nice review.
[Reply]
d'am 01:51 AM 07-24-2010
Originally Posted by the MacDonald:
It wasn't a bad experience, it was just so surprisingly mild. I am not a "gotta smoke the stongest cigar on the planet all the time" guy. Probably a "taste is subjective" issue on my part, but I really expected more flavor.
I had the exact same experience. I was expecting a mild stick, but these had almost no flavor at all. A few sweet notes along with the boring tobacco flavor, but even those were subdued. I was surprised, too, since they've received some positive reviews around the web (for their price.) I purchased them about a month ago from CI. Maybe we have a bad batch?
[Reply]
the MacDonald 07:24 AM 07-24-2010
Originally Posted by d'am:
I had the exact same experience. I was expecting a mild stick, but these had almost no flavor at all. A few sweet notes along with the boring tobacco flavor, but even those were subdued. I was surprised, too, since they've received some positive reviews around the web (for their price.) I purchased them about a month ago from CI. Maybe we have a bad batch?
I guess a bad batch that has been specially aged.:-)
[Reply]
heavyd 05:05 AM 07-25-2010
I tried this cigar a couple of years ago and actually enjoyed it. I like the way you characterize it in your review..."It looks like the cigar to be smoked when planning a coupe in a South American country." The bright Green band and wide foot = definitely cartoonish :-)
[Reply]
Up