Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Question on Mold?
nofeardiver 09:00 AM 06-27-2011
I open my vino this weekend and pull out one of my drawer and start digging in the very back for something to take to my buds house to smoke and find this cigar, this was the only one i could see with anything like this on it, i tossed it out, i did find one other cigar that had a little tiny spec of what looked the same so i took and stuck a few cigars that were close to the first one in a zip lock and put it aside seperated, my quesion is should i freak out, i dont see any other cigars in there, should i take that drawer out and seperate the other cigars in there? what should i do basically is what i am asking, should i just wait and see, is it even mold it looks like it when i compared it to the web... i just got the hcm beads in and stuck one of the soft bead sticks in there a few days prior so i was thinking that should make the drawer level out...thanks for they help.

Here are the pics

[Reply]
G G 09:02 AM 06-27-2011
I had the same thing happen to me bro. Only two or three got some mold on em. I wiped it off and smoked em. Actually on one it covered the entire foot so I clipped the foot off and smoked it. Haven't had any since.
[Reply]
nofeardiver 09:04 AM 06-27-2011
dude i was freaking out on saturday when i pulled that out, i wish i hadnt tossed it now, but was too freaked out, i had two davidoff that are almost 2.5 years old sitting right near that, i was like inspection the mud out of those two cigars... i would have been pissed...
[Reply]
G G 09:15 AM 06-27-2011
Well I'm not sure that you will have the same results as I did, but I sure hope you do.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 09:16 AM 06-27-2011
It is scary that you could lose so much so fast. I don't think I would smoke a cigar with mold on it, even if I was told it was okay. I hope I never run into this situation. Good luck, sorry my inexperience doesn't give me any knowledge into the matter.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 09:17 AM 06-27-2011
Yeah, that's pretty much nothing. Wipe off and enjoy, next time. If there is one and odds are, there will be. It's just a fact of the hobby.
[Reply]
G G 09:18 AM 06-27-2011
Well Shane to each his own, but it didn't hurt me none.:-)
[Reply]
T.G 09:22 AM 06-27-2011
Originally Posted by nofeardiver:
, i did find one other cigar that had a little tiny spec of what looked the same so i took and stuck a few cigars that were close to the first one in a zip lock and put it aside seperated,
Chances are that the cigar(s) you just sealed in that ziploc bag is a bit on the moist side, now in a sealed bag with no way for the humidity to drop AND a live mold colony, the mold will grow and spread to the other cigars.

Take them out of the ziploc, wipe the mold off, leave them out on the counter for a day or two to dry a bit. Or just smoke them.
[Reply]
nofeardiver 09:23 AM 06-27-2011
Originally Posted by T.G:
Chances are that the cigar(s) you just sealed in that ziploc bag is a bit on the moist side, now in a sealed bag with no way for the humidity to drop AND a live mold colony, the mold will grow and spread to the other cigars.

Take them out of the ziploc, wipe the mold off, leave them out on the counter for a day or two to dry a bit. Or just smoke them.
ok will do it when i get home, thanks for the help fellas...
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 09:24 AM 06-27-2011
Originally Posted by ggainey:
Well Shane to each his own, but it didn't hurt me none.:-)
I just don't know any better. I am a bit of a germaphobe so to me it seems crazy. I am a little weird about that stuff, it's just me.
Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening?
Maybe rotate stock or any anti-mold additive?
[Reply]
T.G 09:25 AM 06-27-2011
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth:
It is scary that you could lose so much so fast. I don't think I would smoke a cigar with mold on it, even if I was told it was okay. I hope I never run into this situation. Good luck, sorry my inexperience doesn't give me any knowledge into the matter.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's almost inevitable that you will run across mold someday. And, to each their own, but if I had tossed every cigar that ever had some mold or other damage to it, including a beetle hole or two, I've have missed out on some great cigars.
[Reply]
nofeardiver 09:26 AM 06-27-2011
i think it just became over humidified i put one of my hygros in that corner of that drawer and it said 72, which is wierd all my higros are showing 60-65, so why would it be higher in that drawer? wierd...
[Reply]
nofeardiver 09:27 AM 06-27-2011
Originally Posted by T.G:
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's almost inevitable that you will run across mold someday. And, to each their own, but if I had tossed every cigar that ever had some mold or other damage to it, including a beetle hole or two, I've have missed out on some great cigars.
this is my first experience with it and it just freaked me out, i have never had an issue in two years, so atleast i am glad i am hearing this thanks for the help fellas....
[Reply]
T.G 09:29 AM 06-27-2011
I just don't know any better. I am a bit of a germaphobe so to me it seems crazy. I am a little weird about that stuff, it's just me.
Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening?
Maybe rotate stock or any anti-mold additive?
Mold spores are everywhere in the air. No avoiding them.

Yes, you can take measures to lessen the possibility of it happening and that is to keep your humidity closer to 60%RH. But even then, you could still get an isolated incident if conditions are right (like near an active humidifier output vent where it the humidity is higher)
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 09:29 AM 06-27-2011
Sounds like I need to get over these issues then.
Thanks for the input fellas, sorry I kinda stole this thread.
And thanks Dan for posting pics!
[Reply]
Sherlockholms 09:30 AM 06-27-2011
All good answers, I have not came across mold yet. But I know one day I will, I will just wipe it off and smoke.
[Reply]
nofeardiver 09:30 AM 06-27-2011
not at all Blak, i am still learning, i think this drawer is close to the vent to, maybe thats why...
[Reply]
OLS 09:31 AM 06-27-2011
You are lucky, that is the kind of mold that can almost be taken for plume. But I think it is mold. It is the kind that
seems easiest to deal with. When you get the blue-green kind, look out. It tends to grow not just fast, but
wide-spread. Yours is just in a few tiny spots. Scrape and smoke as normal. Also, and I think you have learned this,
never throw away first. Always seek advice, unless you are like a few responders here, and even a fleck would keep
you from smoking it ever, anyway.
[Reply]
T.G 09:32 AM 06-27-2011
Originally Posted by nofeardiver:
i think it just became over humidified i put one of my hygros in that corner of that drawer and it said 72, which is wierd all my higros are showing 60-65, so why would it be higher in that drawer? wierd...
Humidity can "pocket" unevenly in humidors due to lack of ventilation / air movement. This is why you sometimes see large tower humidors with a few fans installed to create some air circulation.
[Reply]
T.G 09:33 AM 06-27-2011
Sounds like I need to get over these issues then.
Thanks for the input fellas, sorry I kinda stole this thread.
And thanks Dan for posting pics!
No need to apologize - this forum exists for many reasons and "helping people learn" is up toward the top of the list somewhere.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up