Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Why I play country music...
SonsofClubDeck 08:35 PM 11-21-2008
Hopefully someone will find some ironic humor in this:

I was recently contacted by my most recent ex-girlfriend. We dated for about two years and I'm young and naive so of course I was convinced we were geting married. Obviously things didn't work out like that. I smoked while we dated and she never approved of it. Much to my surprise (and of course adding to my bitterness and pain) she has now informed me that she is a frequent cigar smoker now. Her first cigar was a Monte #3.

There is a bright side to this. She is a political science graduate student at George Mason. Perhaps she will now fight some anti-tobacco legislation or something.

Haha. Wow.
[Reply]
boonedoggle 08:39 PM 11-21-2008
My ex-wife made me listen to country music. Thus, I do not like country music these days. I guess sometimes I like to listen to the old stuff, but I don't have my radio tuned to anything country.
[Reply]
GTsetGO 12:20 PM 11-23-2008
I just started in to listen to more country music as i am playing drums for a country band right now. it's amazing what people will pay to have a country cover band play parties and such.
[Reply]
Clampdown 12:28 PM 11-23-2008
I cant stand it. My gf listens to it and it just sounds like constant whinning and complaining set to cheesy guitars.
[Reply]
icehog3 02:39 PM 11-23-2008
Isn't "Country Music" an oxymoron? :-) :-)

Flame suit donned.
[Reply]
SonsofClubDeck 03:26 PM 11-23-2008
well, although it wasn't really the point of the post, just as there are sub-levels of other genre's, there are in country music. corporate country is pathetic. this would be what you hear on the radio. however, deep underneath all the sh*t, there is some great stuff. its hard for anyone to deny "old" country music, although to each his/her own. it just depends how far you dig, but you can find some really good stuff. its just really easy and cliche to take a crap situation and turn it into a country song...i'm an underachiever so it works for me. haha
[Reply]
icehog3 03:35 PM 11-23-2008
That being said, I do have a good collection of Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, etc.... :-)
[Reply]
acruce 03:49 PM 11-23-2008
Play it back words and you get your dog back , your wife back ect.....
[Reply]
Mark C 06:33 PM 11-23-2008
Originally Posted by icehog3:
That being said, I do have a good collection of Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, etc.... :-)

'Outlaw Country' is a whole different ballgame. I love those guys, wish there were more around that still sang/wrote like that.

But 'country' is sort of a catch-all now, including the likes of The Eagles and Bruce Springsteen among others. It's become a haven for anyone who plays an instrument and sings, at least reasonably well, without too many fancy guitar effects, voice effects, and loud drums.

I generally enjoy the whole spectrum, from old school bluegrass like Bill Monroe, to the aforementioned 'Outlaws', and on to the newer generation. Some of the best songwriters are still in the country music business. There's a lot of fluff and other crap out there, but there are a lot of songs that seem to come straight from the heart and soul of the performer. Maybe that's because it's all pretty simple music, not too much flash, not lyrical genius, just a good honest story that a simple guy like me can understand. A lot of the newer country doesn't follow the old 'three chords and the truth' saying, but a lot of it still does.
[Reply]
elderboy02 09:07 PM 11-23-2008
I love me some country music :-)
[Reply]
CBI_2 10:06 PM 11-23-2008
I have gotten into country music a lot more since the last Apprentice due to Trace Adkins. Loved his attitude so started listening more.

Love this clip of him on the !st amendment. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeVrzrmgitQ

and this one on High School Musical and Barney. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg8eXcJq-Lk
[Reply]
RGD. 05:12 PM 11-24-2008
Originally Posted by Clampdown:
I cant stand it. My gf listens to it and it just sounds like constant whinning and complaining set to cheesy guitars.
I knew there was a reason I liked her - :-)

Originally Posted by GTsetGO:
I just started in to listen to more country music as i am playing drums for a country band right now. it's amazing what people will pay to have a country cover band play parties and such.
One of my brothers was a drummer (still is I guess). His band use to like to play rock - but their money maker was playing country.

Ron
[Reply]
Up