Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Who Needs a Cutter when Ya Have a Toothpick??
Waynegro1 11:26 PM 12-04-2008
I was at my B&M the other day with a close friend of mine. I walked into the humi and picked out a Diamond Crown Maximus (wanted to give it a try and loved it). Anyway, I sit down in the lounge, cut and toast it up took a draw and just sat back and let the smoke escape from my mouth. As the smoke cleared a bit, I see an older gentleman (probably in his 80's) pull out his cigar and what appeared to be a toothpick.

He then just started jabbing/stabbing the hell out of the head of his stogie like it had done him wrong in the worst way. I look at my buddy to see if he noticed what was happening. Our eyes meet and we both turned back to watch the assault. He must have jabbed the cigar for a straight minute. Then he lit it up and took a few draws and leaned back like it was just another day at the B&M. No cutter, no punch (at least not in the modern sense).

I've never seen this in my life and I've been smoking for over 12 years. Has anyone ever seen this done before? :-)
[Reply]
white_s2k 11:28 PM 12-04-2008
Wow... that's, a unique method? :-)
[Reply]
jquirit 11:38 PM 12-04-2008
The first time I started smoking cigars (back in '96) we didn't actually cut the cigars, we "punched" them using an icepick. Yeah. Icepick. Not all the way through, mind you, but maybe about a half-an-inch in. It gave the draw we were looking for at the time so that's what we did. Sounds like the guy with the "toothpick" was doing something similar.

What this reminds me of was of the time when smoking one of the Clear Havanas that was pre-punched. It had a small hole that you'd draw through, just like what I use to get with the ice pick.

Full circle, perhaps?
[Reply]
groogs 11:49 PM 12-04-2008
I have never heard or seen anything like that before. I guess it would work, so why not.
[Reply]
Silound 12:05 AM 12-05-2008
See it all the time working at a B&M. Guys bite, poke, stab or otherwise maul a cigar in some strange ways.

Most unusual I've seen is the guy who used the broken antenna on his phone to poke a hole in one...just a little metal stub sticking out.
[Reply]
Skywalker 12:06 AM 12-05-2008
Toothpick, ice pick... whatever works I guess!!!

It is probably better than biting the cap off!!!
:-)

Get 'Er Done!!!
[Reply]
taltos 06:21 AM 12-05-2008
I have been known to use a Bic pen when I forgot to take a cutter with me. Whatever opens up the cigar and lets it be smoked is fair game. The most extreme thing that I ever used was the RCA mini plug on a set of Walkman headphones.:-)
[Reply]
MiloFinch 08:42 AM 12-05-2008
I've used a pocket knife before. That's about as crazy as I've gotten.
[Reply]
Starscream 08:46 AM 12-05-2008
Never seen it, but if it works...
I'd probably use the toothpick before biting off the cap if I was desperate enough. Most B&Ms that I've been to will clip or punch a cigar for you if you ask though.:-)
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 08:48 AM 12-05-2008
There is actually a piercer made for doing just that. It's about the guage of a toothpick. Looks like a tool a body piercer would use.
[Reply]
dcamacho 09:16 AM 12-05-2008
ive seen 2 guys do this already. i never tried it tho, maybe one day. it seems cool and i think it could work just fine
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 09:22 AM 12-05-2008
Thats the method my Grandpa uses. No cutter, no punch. just a good ol' tooth pick. I look at him like he's crazy sometimes. Then again, Who isn't?!

Crazyiest way to cut a cigar that I used was by box cutter. Nice and sharp. Gets 'er done well.
[Reply]
BlackDog 09:29 AM 12-05-2008
I made holes in the head of a cigar with a finishing nail when I was taking a break from a project last summer. Worked suprisingly well.
[Reply]
adampc22 09:52 AM 12-05-2008
enybody used summat cool like a samurai sword or say a chainsaw now that wud be funny to watch lolololololololololololololololololol i hope nobody says yes lol
[Reply]
South Shield 10:07 AM 12-05-2008
I used a jigsaw at a jobsite
[Reply]
Don Fernando 11:18 AM 12-05-2008
my first real cigars I smoked in Indonesia, we couldn't buy a cigar cutter at the airport (security issues), so we just poked a hole in the cap with a matchstick. This sounds about the same as the old man did.
[Reply]
MithShrike 11:23 AM 12-05-2008
Tim at Habanos Torres does this regularly to test the draw on his cigars.
[Reply]
tobii3 12:55 PM 12-05-2008
So, um, using a 5.56mm as a punch isn't a good idea??
[Reply]
Da Klugs 12:59 PM 12-05-2008
It works great. Unless you slobber on the cigar and then the cap(s) end up in your mouth. (Same as a Punch).

Only downside is keeping your tongue from "exploring" the cap and gettin it all soggy. Maybe it's just me.. but anthing other than a cut causes "curious tongue". :-)
[Reply]
replicant_argent 01:06 PM 12-05-2008
Originally Posted by tobii3:
So, um, using a 5.56mm as a punch isn't a good idea??
shell casings make great punches. Use the reamer on your Leatherman or Gerber to sharpen the inside and you are golden for a while.
Diff calibers for diff smokes.

loaded ammo.... not so much. Unless you want to punch a bad guys smoke.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up