Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Cigar Events Post Covid - Experiences
kydsid 04:36 PM 12-10-2022
Hey all, went to my first brand event at local B&M today and was well underwhelmed. Honestly if I was Davidoff I'd be ashamed one of my brands was sponsoring. It had the typical free cigar per X bought etc and a raffle. But the brand didn't up the stock at the store. Of 5 lines for the brand only 3 where available, and one of them had less than a box of one vitola.

I know the pandemic put a crimp in production and I know I'm not in a big marker anymore, mid Atlantic east coast. But I've been going to events for 25 years. Did the pandemic lessen all events and it was just a shock for me being the first in about 4 years or what?

How's your retailers event experience lately?
[Reply]
Brian D. 04:55 PM 12-10-2022
Sadly, that's how it's been here in the formerly smoking hot Cincytucky area too.
[Reply]
icehog3 08:45 AM 12-12-2022
The main B&Ms near me have started ramping up the events again. I haven't attended anything recently, but that should change soon. Hoping things keep going in the right direction as far as that goes anyway Jason.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 10:29 AM 12-12-2022
Seems that was that B&M just not stocking up, was the Davidoff rep there because seems like something they should have been on top of well before the event date.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 11:12 AM 12-12-2022
Covid is on the upswing big time. People are getting it left and right. Luckily, it's hardly as lethal, but I expect to see a change in attitude on events like this.

Maybe we're just done with it? Businesses and consumer are willing to take a risk? I could see it going either way unless gov't pushes a new mandates this winter.
[Reply]
kydsid 01:22 PM 12-12-2022
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
Seems that was that B&M just not stocking up, was the Davidoff rep there because seems like something they should have been on top of well before the event date.
Yup, with his 4 or 5 boxes of cigars to give as freebies. No expectation of sales at all IMHO. Which why send an email blast for the brand saying deals on all lines and not even have them.

It was in my view worse than even Covid should have made the event, however I didn't want to assume, hence asking others experiences to see if Covid had really trampled production and expectations that much.
[Reply]
SNKBYT 04:15 PM 12-12-2022
C-19 is blamed for ALL short comings, but it's just a cold and poor customer service sh*t :-)
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 05:13 PM 12-12-2022
Originally Posted by kydsid:
Yup, with his 4 or 5 boxes of cigars to give as freebies. No expectation of sales at all IMHO. Which why send an email blast for the brand saying deals on all lines and not even have them.

It was in my view worse than even Covid should have made the event, however I didn't want to assume, hence asking others experiences to see if Covid had really trampled production and expectations that much.
I was just in KC for work and one of the cigar lounges i hung out in a few times had a drew estate 'event' it was actually just buy a box get swag, buy an expensive box or 2 boxes and get lots of swag, they had stacks of boxes and huge swag bags, have to admit i was shocked at hope much was in the gift bags. They clearly were prepared for their day.
[Reply]
kydsid 01:36 PM 12-13-2022
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
I was just in KC for work and one of the cigar lounges i hung out in a few times had a drew estate 'event' it was actually just buy a box get swag, buy an expensive box or 2 boxes and get lots of swag, they had stacks of boxes and huge swag bags, have to admit i was shocked at hope much was in the gift bags. They clearly were prepared for their day.

Kudos to Swisher. There's a statement I never thought I'd make lol
[Reply]
Brian D. 07:56 PM 12-13-2022
I don't want to knock swag but us longtime event attendees aren't typically in need of more lighters, cutters, ashtrays, etc. Much rather get five extra cigars with the purchase of twenty count boxes instead. But newbies usually appreciate those accessories.
[Reply]
Up