Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Recipes>Pork Adobo (Filipino Style)
jquirit 12:17 PM 03-31-2009
Here is the ubiquitous recipe for Filipino-style pork adobo. There are many variations to the recipe as each person has their own take on it, but this is probably as close to as a "standard" version as I can think of.

2 lbs pork (I use a roast because I like the little fatty connective bits, but you could use a loin if so desired.. you'd just need to add a bit of oil to make up for the lack of fat)
1/2 tablespoon peppercorns
2 bay leaves
3 cloves garlic, crushed (or minced, or chopped.. whatevah!)
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 cups water
juice of one lemon (or kalamansi as it would be traditional)

* Cut up pork into pieces. I either use strips or about 1" chunks like you find in stew. Whatever you prefer, just don't make it too small.
* Combine all ingredients in large pan and let marinate for 15 minutes. DO NOT ADD HEAT TO PAN.
* After 15 minutes, turn on heat to pan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, bring to a simmer and simmer for 45 minutes with pan slightly covered.
* Keep an eye on as it cooks. I typically stop it once the liquid is almost all gone and coats the meat. This is called "dry adobo". Some people like to leave it with it in a more liquid and this is called "wet adobo". It's all in your preference if you want a "gravy" or not.
* If it does come out a bit too strong for you (too much tart from the lemon/vinegar, salty from the soy sauce), you could always add a bit of sugar (like a teaspoon) or soft drink (like 7-up) to cut that down in the last 10 minutes of cooking.
* Serve immediately over rice. Mmmmm. Enjoy. :-)

The power of adobo is that it's not just limited to pork. You can do this with chicken (thighs work best), beef, shrimp (I'd add a bit of oil to give it a nice mouth feel if you do cook it down), hell... I think even lamb or bison would work (though, I haven't tried *that* yet). Go to town, experiment.
[Reply]
Noodles 01:23 PM 03-31-2009
Very nice. I have a slightly different version.

- I usually use pork belly. Fat is king :-).
- I marinate the pork in soy sauce longer. Usually overnight. This guarantee the meat and fat absorbs the soy sauce. I also include the crushed garlic (garlic skin included) and cracked pepper in the marinade.
- I don't use calamansi.

Cooking is similar as to how you describe.

I have another version.

Prepare and cook the meat as describe above.

In a separate pan, saute some garlic (amount will depend on how strong the garlic taste you want). When garlic is almost brown, add cooked meat making sure very little sauce/liquid gets into the pan. Fry each side of meat until you see some darkening. When all the meat are fried, pour the remaining sauce/liquid. Mix. Turn of heat. Cover. Serve with steamed rice.
[Reply]
shortstory5 10:56 PM 03-31-2009
Oh my. Both of those sound so amazing.

Ever serve it with anything besides rice?
[Reply]
SeanGAR 11:54 PM 03-31-2009
Friend of mine from QC made this 4meB4 ... really tasty.
[Reply]
Noodles 12:11 AM 04-01-2009
Originally Posted by shortstory5:

You may be able to get away with dinner rolls or mashed potato. I tried it before but I'm used to rice (steamed or fried). Couscous is another interesting choice.
[Reply]
rennD 12:14 PM 04-12-2009
Originally Posted by shortstory5:

Yes, FRIED rice :-)
[Reply]
jquirit 01:56 PM 04-12-2009
Originally Posted by rennD:
Yes, FRIED rice :-)
It's even better if it's PORK ADOBO fried rice. :-)
[Reply]
rennD 03:01 PM 04-12-2009
Thanks to this post, I am gonna so overeat today :-)
[Reply]
Noodles 07:07 AM 04-13-2009
Originally Posted by rennD:
Thanks to this post, I am gonna so overeat today :-)
Lol ... I don't need no excuse to overeat. I do it for a living. :-)
[Reply]
Up