Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Smoking with a head cold.
Homebrewer 11:26 AM 10-11-2009
I have a nasty head cold but I feel like smoking a stogie. :-)

Does anyone else out there smoke with a cold? I'm thinking just keep the smoke out of the sinus area. :-)
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 11:32 AM 10-11-2009
If you Must smoke while having a cold, like you said, dont "Snork", and smoke something inexpensive and milder. from what Ive heard, smoking with a cold ruins your sense of taste and smell, so dont waste it on a good cigar.
[Reply]
CigarNut 11:55 AM 10-11-2009
I'd wait...

Having a cigar with a cold will lessen the experience and possibly waste the cigar. You are not going to be able to taste the cigar very well, and after the cigar, you won't be able to taste anything else either...

Plus the risk of getting smoke into your sinuses may just projong the whole mess...

I just went through this and that first cigar after the cold was gone was Great!:-)

Just my 2cents...
[Reply]
BORIStheBLADE 12:39 PM 10-11-2009
I've been sick and wanted to smoke pretty bad. I end up just putting off smoking for at least a week though. When I do smoke right after being sick I usually try a stick that I won't feel bad wasting.
[Reply]
yourchoice 12:46 PM 10-11-2009
I don't. I just had my first cigar last night after a week long cold subsided. It's worth the wait. Smoking with a cold is a waste. :-)
[Reply]
troutbreath 01:35 PM 10-11-2009
I feel your pain. Started getting a cold on Friday, and lost my voice last night. *sigh*

I can't even taste food right now. Not going to waste my inventory (or investment) right now.
[Reply]
T.G 01:36 PM 10-11-2009
Kind of pointless IMO, you probably won't taste much of anything anyway.
[Reply]
captain53 02:32 PM 10-11-2009
I can't even stand the thought of lighting up with a head cold. If you are going to do it just pull out the cheapest piece of crap you got. I am no Dr but can't be good for the cold either it would seem like anyway.:-)
[Reply]
Homebrewer 02:54 PM 10-11-2009
Alright, I guess I'll wait. I'm going to sip on some good scotch instead.
[Reply]
JJG 03:09 PM 10-11-2009
If you want to smoke, I say do it! just smoke something familiar so you know what to expect and you're not trying to discern new flavors and aromas with a stuffy nose.
[Reply]
captain53 03:14 PM 10-11-2009
Originally Posted by Homebrewer:
Alright, I guess I'll wait. I'm going to sip on some good scotch instead.
Now that sounds like a good idea with a positive medicinal effect! Hope you get to feeling better soon.:-)
[Reply]
Homebrewer 07:38 PM 10-11-2009
Well, after 5 glasses of scotch on the rocks, I began to feel much better. I took the BOTLs advice and smoked a cheapie. It was a Famous Nic Cameroon and it was good. I smoked it down to the nub. My lack of taste buds improved the cigar and I really enjoyed the flavors.
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 07:58 PM 10-11-2009
I don't smoke at all with a cold or my allergies acting up. They totally zap my tastebuds and it's a waste of a cigar for me.

MCS
[Reply]
icehog3 08:00 PM 10-11-2009
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly:
I don't smoke at all with a cold or my allergies acting up. They totally zap my tastebuds and it's a waste of a cigar for me.

MCS
Agreed, I can't taste cigars at all.....I guess if I felt like I had to have some nicotine, but overall I agree it's a waste/
[Reply]
JJG 08:10 PM 10-11-2009
The weather is starting to turn cool here so I will probably buy a nice bottle of Laphroiag soon, per tradition. I know some people think the stuff tastes like turpentine but I enjoy it quite a bit with a good smoke.

hope you feel better! In the mean time I think you have the right idea. Don't smoke anything really complex since you won't be able to taste it as much, and keep up the scotch routine. nature's antibiotic if ask me. :-)
[Reply]
Starscream 08:29 PM 10-11-2009
Cigars taste awful when I have a cold.
[Reply]
GreekGodX 08:54 PM 10-11-2009
...don't do it :-)
[Reply]
BlackDog 08:58 PM 10-11-2009
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly:

MCS
ditto :-)
[Reply]
pfm721 01:55 PM 10-12-2009
It's been almost 3 weeks since my last cigar due to being sick. I had a cold about 3 weeks ago. After the sinus symptoms subsided I smoked a cigar because I owed a review for a blind taste test. My findings: 1) I could not taste the nuances of the cigar very well due to the fact that my taste buds had still not fully returned, 2) I ended up getting a sore throat that has kept me from smoking for the last 18 days. I don't know if the sore throat is necessarily related to the smoking but it certainly couldn't have helped. So long story short I will not smoke when sick or immediately after having been sick. No desire to go through this again.
[Reply]
Skywalker 02:43 PM 10-12-2009
I read somewhere that nicotine slows down the healing process!!!

Not a great idea to smoke... but do what you want to, it's your body!!!
:-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up