Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 29 of 199
« First < 19272829 30313979129 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>The Bourbon Thread!!
paris1129 08:36 AM 02-18-2010
Originally Posted by SvilleKid:
Let us know about any taste effect, and how long they keep the drink cold! I like the part about no water to water down the bourbon, since I generally like mine "neat" anyway!
Same here. I like mine neat, but I would like it a bit colder than room temperature. I will be giving them a whirl sometime in the next couple of evenings, so I will be sure to post an update! :-)
[Reply]
SvilleKid 09:12 AM 02-18-2010
Originally Posted by paris1129:
Same here. I like mine neat, but I would like it a bit colder than room temperature. I will be giving them a whirl sometime in the next couple of evenings, so I will be sure to post an update! :-)
excellent!! But....... Please, no chewing! ROFL!

On serious side, this does look like a viable alternative to keeping a bunch of bottles of whiskey in the freezer just to have a cold drink once in a while! I will be especially interested in how long the Ice Rocks retain the cold.

I guess if you get enough of them in a package, you can always swap out the warming ones for more frozen cubes.

Another thought occures to me: any danger of the sharp edges of the Rocks etching or scratching the insides of the glasses? I have several crystal highballs I use for sipping, and would hate to scratch the insides up. Might be something to watch for when you give them a try. Maybe use something less valuable on first several used to get an idea of any damage to glass surfaces.

Look forward to your review!
[Reply]
Tripp 09:40 AM 02-18-2010
My fiance bought me a set of Whisky Stones for xmas a couple years ago, and I use them all the time. They don't really keep the drink quite as cold as ice, but they keep it cooler than room temperature for at least an hour or so.... I may have to do some "testing" this weekend, adn see how they stand up to ice, or neat.
[Reply]
paris1129 06:24 AM 02-19-2010
I had about 2 -3 oz of Wild Turkey with four whiskey stones last night. They worked well. It is difficult to tell because I had it with a stogie in the cold garage, so whether it was the stones or the cold air, I dunno. There are 9 stones in the set, so I could have easily used more but chose not to. But they did not seem to mess with the taste at all and it doesn't seem like it would be easy to scratch the glass with them either, unless you threw them at the glass hard. I will definetly be using these again.
[Reply]
elderboy02 06:26 AM 02-19-2010
I am thinking about making my 1st Bourbon purchase: Woodford Reserve

I am not a big whiskey drinker b/c it kills me, but I can drink Woodford's without that horrible burn that other bourbon's give me.
[Reply]
skibumdc 06:30 AM 02-19-2010
Just picked up a bottle of Ri. Image
It's Beam's new premium Rye Whiskey offering.
around $48
Fancy Vodka-esque looking bottle.

Nice smooth peppery flavor, a little bit of vanilla and honey as well.
I tried to pair it with a '08 PSP2 but ti was a bit overpowering. It did work well with few puffs of a PL Magnifico, lol.
Addiction tasted it as well and thin it's a very fine spirit.
[Reply]
OHMatt 06:57 PM 02-21-2010
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
I bought the bottle based off a recommendation from one of the people at the Ford truck plant I worked with the last few weeks. He didn't steer me wrong. While down there on another trip a couple months ago, I bought the small samplers for Woodford Reserve, Basil Hayden and Buffalo Trace. All were really good but I thoroughly enjoyed the Basil Hayden. Had a completely different taste to me that I found to my liking. Not sure why I didn't pick up a bottle of that, but will when I'm sure I'll be headed back. Heaven forbid I get some free time to try the bourbon sampling at the store (Liquor Barn). But then again, the OT helps pay for all these purchases. :-)
Many people believe Basil Hayden is watered down Old Grand Dad. They are both Beam produced whiskey from the same mash bill.. Do yourself a favor and grab a bottle of the Bonded Old Grand Dad, (that is half the price of Basil) and add 20% water (100 proof down to Hayden's 80).

Now as to the different taste; Basil and OGD are both "high rye" bourbons - they have more rye in the mash than typical bourbon. Another good high-rye bourbon is Bulleit.

Since you enjoy high rye bourbon, you should also try Rye whiskey - in these Rye is higher percentage than the corn; at least 51%. My personal favorite to date is Rittenhouse Rye 100 proof (bottled in Bond). (I have tried these Rye Whiskeys: Jim Beam Rye, Ri, Michters, Old Overholt, Old Potrero, Pikesville, Rittenhouse, Sazerac, Wild Turkey 101 Rye)
[Reply]
Eagle53 07:51 PM 02-21-2010
Stranahans Colorado Whiskey http://www.stranahans.com/index.php?q=home
[Reply]
kenstogie 08:27 PM 02-21-2010
Well I had the opportunity to have some of that Evan Williams Single barrel. Great stuff indeed. In fact we had a taste test with the following Jim Beam Black, JD single barrel, woodford reserve and of course the EW single barrel.

and the winner was........

.\/
.\/

I thought this photo turned out pretty good considering the state we were in :-)
[Reply]
silentjon 04:58 AM 02-23-2010
Originally Posted by kenstogie:

and the winner was........

.\/
.\/

I thought this photo turned out pretty good considering the state we were in :-)
I just finished my last bottle last night. Must get more. :-)
[Reply]
kenstogie 07:58 AM 02-23-2010
Originally Posted by silentjon:
I just finished my last bottle last night. Must get more. :-)
Strangly enough it was the least expensive of them all too. hmmmm go figure.
[Reply]
Parshooter 10:05 AM 02-23-2010
Originally Posted by kenstogie:
Strangly enough it was the least expensive of them all too. hmmmm go figure.
In my experience, money rarely equates to quality/taste in bourbon. :-)
[Reply]
KenyanSandBoa 10:20 AM 02-23-2010
Originally Posted by Parshooter:
In my experience, money rarely equates to quality/taste in bourbon. :-)
Agreed...here's my favorite:
Attached: knob-creek-4.jpg (64.9 KB) 
[Reply]
skibumdc 04:30 AM 02-24-2010
Picked up Wasmunds Single Barrel Whiskey (Barrel 29).
Meh.
It's smooth with good character, just didn't wow me.
But for around $40 it's a good everyday kind of whiskey.
[Reply]
Jbailey 05:57 PM 02-28-2010
Cracked open a bottle and having a glass of 17 year old Eagle Rare.

Thanks to a great friend. :-)
[Reply]
GreekGodX 06:22 PM 02-28-2010
Bought some Jefferson's reserve this weekend! Cannot wait to crack it open. Wanted the Presidential Reserve but at 94 bucks I shied away :-)
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 07:56 AM 03-01-2010
I did a blind taste test the other day with 2 friends...we had
1) Four Roses Single Barrel
2) Woodford Reserve
3) Makers Mark
4) Buffalo Trace

BT was the hands down winner...which was a surprise to the three of us.

I also was given a bottle of Blantons signed by the Master Distiller...it goes nicely w/ my collection!
[Reply]
rack04 12:01 PM 03-01-2010
Originally Posted by Jbailey:
Cracked open a bottle and having a glass of 17 year old Eagle Rare.

Thanks to a great friend. :-)
I drank through my bottle from this year way too fast. Great bourbon.
[Reply]
paris1129 01:56 PM 03-09-2010
Blanton's = the sh*t. Really, it is very, very good. I almost downed a whole bottle yesterday on my day off with a couple of great smokes!
[Reply]
kenstogie 02:22 PM 03-09-2010
I haven't had all of these but have had the Evan Williams Single barrel and give a big thumbs up.
[Reply]
Page 29 of 199
« First < 19272829 30313979129 > Last »
Up