Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 17 of 159
« First < 7151617 18192767117 > Last »
General Discussion>What are you reading?
Cigargal 09:36 AM 03-27-2009
I am reading The Shroud of the Twacker by Chris Elliot. A mystery that takes place in NYC in the late 1800s. Think Monty Python...I picked up this one from the bargain table at B&N-there is a reason it was on the bargain table. I'm about 50 pages in and it is a fast read, so we will see...
[Reply]
Starchild 09:49 AM 03-27-2009
Originally Posted by Cigargal:

After reading Drood I picked up Hyperion and Illium by Simmons and a couple of Dickens books. I'm ready to start a new book today but can't decide which one....:-)
I would recommend starting with Hyperion. It is not an easy read, but it sets the groundwork for a phenomenal series. One of my all time favorites. I'm just finishing Olympos, which is the squeal to Illium. A good read as well.
[Reply]
ActionAndy 10:14 AM 03-27-2009
Catching up on Invincible lately. If any of you are superhero/comics fans, definitely check out Invincible (Robert Kirkman).
[Reply]
eternal rider 11:19 AM 03-27-2009
Just finished Swine Not? A pigs Tale by Jimmie Buffet. A amusing tale to read.
[Reply]
harbora 11:39 AM 03-27-2009
aloha!, that's true I am a spammer!
[Reply]
hova45 12:32 PM 03-27-2009
I am currently reading Edgar Sawtelle

http://www.edgarsawtelle.com/
[Reply]
Sr Mike 12:37 PM 03-27-2009
No Angel by Jay Dobyns
[Reply]
SmokeyJoe 09:59 PM 03-31-2009
Originally Posted by SimonTemplar:
The Shack - William P. Young
Been on my desk... finally started it yesterday. Got about a 100 pages left.

Interesting read... :-)

What did you think of it?
[Reply]
bookman 10:08 PM 03-31-2009
Originally Posted by Cigargal:
Finished Drood....excellent book. Made me run out and buy two Dickens novels. Right now I am reading the Suspicions of Mr. Whicher, which is a true story of the first Metro police detectives in London and the investigation of a murder of a child. Mr. Whicher is the basis for the character Inspector Cuff in A Woman in White by Wilkie Collins and Inspector Bucket from Dicken's Bleak House.

Finished that a few weeks ago. I'm a huge collins/dickens/Victorian lit fan, but Drood needed some editing. Too much of it came right out of Dicken's bios, not enough spooky stuff. Matthew Pearl is coming out with The Dicken's Manuscript, another historical fiction similar to his Poe Shadow...

Right now reading Jim Harrison's The English Major. It's good but not as good as some of his other books or his poetry.

I'll give the Mr. Whicher a try. Ever read Scenes in the Life of a of a Bow Street Runner by "Richmond"?
[Reply]
rMcSmokesAlot 10:17 PM 03-31-2009
beer by michael Jackson
[Reply]
Cigargal 10:35 PM 03-31-2009
Originally Posted by bookman:
Finished that a few weeks ago. I'm a huge collins/dickens/Victorian lit fan, but Drood needed some editing. Too much of it came right out of Dicken's bios, not enough spooky stuff. Matthew Pearl is coming out with The Dicken's Manuscript, another historical fiction similar to his Poe Shadow...

Right now reading Jim Harrison's The English Major. It's good but not as good as some of his other books or his poetry.

I'll give the Mr. Whicher a try. Ever read Scenes in the Life of a of a Bow Street Runner by "Richmond"?
Not spooky enough? All that subterranean spooky $h!t?? The dead babies on the window sills, graveyard picnics, crypt crawling...oh, and the thing living in the staircase???
[Reply]
bookman 10:37 PM 03-31-2009
Yeah, cigargal, but you had to wade throug PAGES of the authors colaborating on a play, and bickering like an old married couple. What was up with the creepy staircase girl anyway? Was that in wilkie's imagination or what??? But I did enjoy the book, don't get me wrong...
[Reply]
Cigargal 10:43 PM 03-31-2009
Looks like Bow Street Runner is out of print-I'll have to try the library.
[Reply]
qwerty1500 11:31 PM 03-31-2009
Originally Posted by bookman:
What was up with the creepy staircase girl anyway? Was that in wilkie's imagination or what???
Drood left a lot of unanswered questions. I thought that the "creepy staircase girl" and the Other Wilkie were just Wilkie's drug induced hallucinations.

On the other hand, I do believe readers were expected to believe that Wilkie nailed Agnes inside that staircase. I don't remember the book answering the question about what the people who bought Wilkie's house found when they opened that staircase. Did they find her bones or nothing? If they found her bones, wouldn't Wilkie have been a prime suspect for that? Or, maybe the "creepy staircase girl" ate Agnes bones and all? Did I miss something here?
[Reply]
qwerty1500 11:40 PM 03-31-2009
Now reading "House of Cards" by William Cohan ... fascinating account of the collapse of Bear Stearns.
[Reply]
bookman 04:51 AM 04-01-2009
Thanks qwerty. i think you got it all covered.
[Reply]
potlimit 04:54 AM 04-01-2009
Re-reading Fermat's Last Theorem by Simon Singh
[Reply]
Buena Fortuna 10:45 AM 04-01-2009
The Bourne Conspiracy ~ Robert Ludlum Almost done with the second installment of the trilogy, hope to finish all three by the end of the month
[Reply]
kayaker 10:51 AM 04-01-2009
Just finished the first novel of The Dresden Files and the 2nd one is on deck. I like them.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 10:55 AM 04-01-2009
A cost of goods sold budget if that counts:-)
[Reply]
Page 17 of 159
« First < 7151617 18192767117 > Last »
Up