Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
View Poll Results: Which cutter do you recommend?
Xikar 22 24.18%
Palio 61 67.03%
Save your money and keep the $5 cutter you have... 8 8.79%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Is there really a difference?
coastietech 07:28 AM 08-14-2009
I have been looking at the Palio and Xikar guillotines and have been thinking about getting one. Before I drop the money on one I just want to know why it's better than the $5 dollar one I got off Cbid.

What is the benefit? I understand quality cost money, but it doesn't always mean the more expensive one is better. If it is though I'll drop the coin. Just want to make sure it's worth it.

So what's the consensus?
[Reply]
poker 07:42 AM 08-14-2009
For me, its Palio.
Reasons? The cut, the customer service, the comfort, the lightness when in my pocket, etc etc.

I have Palios, an ST Dupont, Xikar, and a Zino. The Palio is the only one I ever use anymore. The one I've got from over 6 years ago cuts as clean as the one I got last year.
[Reply]
massphatness 07:46 AM 08-14-2009
A cheap cutter is going to give you a cheap cut. Beyond that Palio vs Xikar is a matter of personal preferance. I started out with the Xikar and it worked fine but I like the Palio better because I feel it makes a more uniform cut.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
AD720 07:56 AM 08-14-2009
The Pailo and Xikar are on the same level cut and quality wise I think. Which one just boils down to personal preference. I grab my Palio maybe 60-70% of the time over my Xikar. But I also use a punch quite a bit.

A cheap cutter might work great for a little while but they start to get dull and start to just squeeze the cap instead of clean cutting it.

Think about how much you spend on cigars. Spending $25 (that's how cheap I got my xikar on cbid) to $40 on a Palio is not much in grand scheme of things for something you are going to get so much use out of.
[Reply]
BORIStheBLADE 08:08 AM 08-14-2009
Comparing my Palio to my Xikar when they were both new the palio made a better cut.

From what I have heard, Palio has a life time warranty on their blades. I haven't looked into this though.
[Reply]
acarr 08:08 AM 08-14-2009
I picked the $5.00 but really, I pick them up for about $3.50. It has dual self sharpening blades and if I lose it, well who cares.
[Reply]
AD720 08:24 AM 08-14-2009
Originally Posted by BORIStheBLADE:
Comparing my Palio to my Xikar when they were both new the palio made a better cut.

From what I have heard, Palio has a life time warranty on their blades. I haven't looked into this though.
I think they both have lifetime warranties on everything. If you are unhappy I believe all you have to do is take it to a shop that sells them and they should exchange it no questions asked. Or you can send them back and the company will do it.
[Reply]
N2Advnture 08:28 AM 08-14-2009
Originally Posted by coastietech:
I have been looking at the Palio and Xikar guillotines and have been thinking about getting one. Before I drop the money on one I just want to know why it's better than the $5 dollar one I got off Cbid.

What is the benefit? I understand quality cost money, but it doesn't always mean the more expensive one is better. If it is though I'll drop the coin. Just want to make sure it's worth it.

So what's the consensus?
You have to use one once and you'll understand why people love them so much.

As far as how they are constructed, they are a polymer and not a cheap plastic. Also, the blades are made of surgical steel and sharp as S!
[Reply]
SilverFox 08:52 AM 08-14-2009
If I use a cutter its a Palio.
[Reply]
shilala 08:54 AM 08-14-2009
I have a bunch of Xikars. I just can't dig the Palio. It pinches me.
$5.00 cutters make a $5.00 cut for about ten cigars, then they make a $2.00 cut for awhile, then they pretty much just mash the cap off.
I'd just as soon use my teeth and save the five bucks.
When I invest in Palio or Xikar, I'm good for life. If they go dull, they'll take care of it. If they break, they take care of it.
It's the same with tools. I don't buy a $1.00 hammer, either. If I buy the best, I'm always happy. If I buy junk, I tend to get what I paid for, with an added bonus of frustration. :-)
[Reply]
RJK18 08:54 AM 08-14-2009
Ad has a point. What you spend on a cutter depends on what you smoke. If you smoke premium cigars you should invest in a premium cutter. If you only smoke while out golfing or when someone gives you a cigar than don't bother. The difference is big one. Ask to try one at a B&M and see for yourself. I happen to love the way my palio cuts
[Reply]
BlackDog 08:58 AM 08-14-2009
I've owned both the Xikar and the Palio. Frankly, I can't say one is better than the other. Both are very sharp. The Xikar seemed better at cutting large ring gauge sticks.
[Reply]
floydp 09:06 AM 08-14-2009
Palio is the best cutter I've used to this point. By the same token since I got one I haven't even thought about using any other brand.
[Reply]
coastietech 09:22 AM 08-14-2009
Damn looks like the Palio is murdering the competition in the poll. LOL

Thank you for your opinions. They make sense, and I often say the same thing to others about stuff. Like why would you spend $600 on a gun and then buy a $5 holster. :-) Same principle.

Looks like I'm gonna have to go through the penny jar and buy one. :-)
[Reply]
fishstix 09:25 AM 08-14-2009
palio for me as well.

I have both and IMHO I've never had an issue with my palio. really when looking at a straight cutter this thing just rocks.

The xicar does look nice though, and does feel good in the hand - but the Palio feels just as good.

with the rumors that Palio is coming out with more colors its a win-win.
[Reply]
kelmac07 10:15 AM 08-14-2009
I own both a Palio and a Xikar...both are great cutters. I just prefer my Palio...but can't go wrong with either.
[Reply]
bobarian 10:18 AM 08-14-2009
Still have a Xikar sitting in one of my accessory boxes, gave another one away. I have two Palio's which get daily use. I like the clean cut the give. I used a cheap cutter for a few months and began to notice them pinching my cigars before cutting. Bought a Palio and its been going great for the past 2 years. Check out the new Camo patterns!:-)
[Reply]
Doctorossi 10:26 AM 08-14-2009
More than the radical slant toward Palio in here, I'm just surprised by the percentage of folks who have both a Palio and a Xikar.
[Reply]
coastietech 10:35 AM 08-14-2009
Originally Posted by Doctorossi:
More than the radical slant toward Palio in here, I'm just surprised by the percentage of folks who have both a Palio and a Xikar.
I've noticed that too. I guess it's like Pokemon you have to collect them all. :-)
[Reply]
shilala 10:38 AM 08-14-2009
Originally Posted by Doctorossi:
Yeah, it's been this way since day one. :-)
I think I'm the one guy on the planet that digs my xikars. The only real reason is because the Palio made me bleed. Plus I think it's an infinately more interesting design, and looks 1000 times cooler.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up