Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>help on vino condensation please.
Arrow111 11:03 AM 12-16-2008
for all you vino users out there, how do you deal w/ the condensation and water build up in the back? what is the best way to collect the water or is there a way to stop the condensation?

i noticed the moisture building up just in time and quickly pulled out my boxes.

thanks for the help...
[Reply]
Mugen910 11:14 AM 12-16-2008
I think some people put their beads at the bottom to collect the moisture or modify the back wall so that it drips into a tupper wear container...others just let it drain out and keep the bottom area clear.
[Reply]
markem 11:18 AM 12-16-2008
Don't put your boxes on the bottom of the vino. That's rule #1 when you have condensation. Also, don't let them touch the back under the same conditions.

You can pull out the bottom of the drip strip in the back and cause it to collect in a small container.

I haven't had any condensation in 9 months of using vinos, so I'm not the best bet for advice. I keep my boxes up off the bottom but allow some to touch the back wall (just not under the fan).

I have 2lbs of beads per vino, which is overkill, but it also gives me a big buffer for humidity fluctuation.
[Reply]
mrreindeer 11:19 AM 12-16-2008
This is strange....my 28-bottle Vino doesn't have any condensation at all....Bao, you think there's something wrong here or is it okay?
[Reply]
Mugen910 11:22 AM 12-16-2008
Originally Posted by mrreindeer:
This is strange....my 28-bottle Vino doesn't have any condensation at all....Bao, you think there's something wrong here or is it okay?
Mine doesn't either Dave..but then again I don't leave mine on since the basement is just the right temp. To be on the safe side just leave the bottom inch or two clear..I'm sure you're fine though since you haven't noticed anything wrong before.
[Reply]
av8tor152d 11:29 AM 12-16-2008
I also have 2 vinos and neither of them have ever had condensation. I have even plugged the drain on both. I think using Scotts beads may help to eliminate any chances of condensation. I do have a clean sponge in the bottom of both mine at the lowest point that I check every couple days just to make sure there is no condensation. Like the others I don't keep anything other than the sponge on the bottom of the vinos.
[Reply]
mrreindeer 11:29 AM 12-16-2008
thank you my man! and i keep gettin' that lovely text over & over & over again...i love it, i love it, i love it.... :-):-)
[Reply]
rizzle 11:57 AM 12-16-2008
Yep, never had any condensation in mine either.
[Reply]
Silound 12:10 PM 12-16-2008
My original condensation problem was solved with some clear packing tape, a piece of sheet plastic, and a funnel back into my Oasis :-) All condensation drains back into the Oasis where it gets re-absorbed and spit back out.

To be honest, I discarded that a long time ago and just don't run the Vino anymore.
[Reply]
rack04 12:17 PM 12-16-2008
Originally Posted by Arrow111:
for all you vino users out there, how do you deal w/ the condensation and water build up in the back? what is the best way to collect the water or is there a way to stop the condensation?

i noticed the moisture building up just in time and quickly pulled out my boxes.

thanks for the help...

What temperature do you have the vinotemp set to?
[Reply]
Jay Hemingway 01:28 PM 12-16-2008
the condensation happens when the room the vino is in is relatively warm.

my studio is the warmest room in the house (from all of my electronic,4 computers,dj and studio gear) and it was the first place i tried my vino. the condensation poured like a faucet in there!
i moved it out into the bedroom where it is not warm and the condensation stopped.

i suggest to keep it in the coolest room in the house (most likely why fellas with vino's in the basement work so well). also, make a trouft that funnels any would be condensation into a bowl with florist foam or beads. that's what i had to do before moving it into another room.

the hotter the outside air, the harder the vino has to work to keep the desired coolness up to temp. causing more cold air to push out, causing more condensation.

i am not an expert but i did stay at a holiday inn express, never :-) .
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 06:55 PM 12-16-2008
Mine is kept in the basement so I haven't plugged mine in for more than 2 minutes. I do have the drain filled with silicon and keep the beads in the bottom, don't know if that will actually prevent condensation though. Do you keep yours plugged in all the time?
[Reply]
Arrow111 06:57 PM 12-16-2008
based in asia, room temp is always above 80 and ambient rh is close to 80%. the vino has to run pretty hard to maintain a temp around 65. this is why i get the condensation =(

thanks for the help guys.
[Reply]
Arrow111 06:59 PM 12-16-2008
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak:
Mine is kept in the basement so I haven't plugged mine in for more than 2 minutes. I do have the drain filled with silicon and keep the beads in the bottom, don't know if that will actually prevent condensation though. Do you keep yours plugged in all the time?
yes, 24-7. it's hot here all year round.

thanks!
[Reply]
tedrodgerscpa 07:15 PM 12-16-2008
If I set the temp control on a lower setting (say 61), then I get tons and tons of condensation. This is a direct result of the unit cycling more frequently to combat the higher temps

I've found that I keep the temp as warm as possible and maintain the 'safety zone' (temp less than 70F), things work much better.

Plus, as the air gets colder inside the vino, it becomes more and more difficult to keep the swings down.

My best advice would be to set the vino to as high a temp as you can to reduce the cycling of the thermo unit.

My second best advice would be to put a small knee-high bag of beads around the drain so that it will collect the excess moisture.

And NEVER store boxes on the floor or touching the back of the unit.
[Reply]
Arrow111 08:10 PM 12-16-2008
Originally Posted by tedrodgerscpa:
If I set the temp control on a lower setting (say 61), then I get tons and tons of condensation. This is a direct result of the unit cycling more frequently to combat the higher temps

I've found that I keep the temp as warm as possible and maintain the 'safety zone' (temp less than 70F), things work much better.

Plus, as the air gets colder inside the vino, it becomes more and more difficult to keep the swings down.

My best advice would be to set the vino to as high a temp as you can to reduce the cycling of the thermo unit.

My second best advice would be to put a small knee-high bag of beads around the drain so that it will collect the excess moisture.

And NEVER store boxes on the floor or touching the back of the unit.
advise noted and done. im keeping my fingers crossed that this does the trick.

i almost fainted last night when i noticed a small pool of water around my party lonsdale cab! luckily, no cigar damage, just some water stains on the cab.

thanks =)
[Reply]
Up