Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Please help me save my humidor
LT_Blueshine 06:18 PM 11-12-2013
Hey everyone, I received my first humidor as a departing gift from my last unit. They are like family and knowing that I love cigars they got me something different from the standard plaque sort of departure gift. Its engraved with my name and a very heartfelt message. Needless to say it is very special to me and I want to proudly display it. Very much with cigars in it.

This is my first attempt at seasoning a humidor but I did a lot of reading up on it. I am a blonde pollock as well so maybe I'm just doing something wrong. :-)

I went through the steps on calibrating my hygrometer. Tweaked it so it was accurate and moved on to the seasoning part.

I lightly coated the inside with distilled water and left a dish inside with a sponge in it full of distilled water as well.

Waited one day. Then another. And another. And on day four there was no significant change. The hygrometer stubbornly stayed under 70%.

Looking closely at my humi I noticed that they hygrometer, which pops out of the case, isn't exactly flush with it. I'm thinking the gasket isn't creating a sufficient seal.

Anyone know where I can get a hygrometer that pops into the wood? Or any ideas on how to seal the box so I can use this beautiful humi?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Attached: IMG_20131112_175722_223.jpg (114.3 KB) IMG_20131112_175812_613.jpg (105.8 KB) IMG_20131112_175830_316.jpg (110.8 KB) 
[Reply]
skullnrose 06:23 PM 11-12-2013
Ironically the spot that needle was sitting at is the perfect range to store cigars at. You could probably just put a bead of silicone and set that hygrometer right in place.
[Reply]
LT_Blueshine 06:30 PM 11-12-2013
Originally Posted by skullnrose:
Ironically the spot that needle was sitting at is the perfect range to store cigars at. You could probably just put a bead of silicone and set that hygrometer right in place.
Yes, after the four days of fail I put the hygro in my herfador for shits and giggles while I tried to figure this out. Since taking it out for the picture and put back into place it has gone down to 50something %
[Reply]
icehog3 06:36 PM 11-12-2013
Analog hygrometers are historically inaccurrate anyway, LT. Decoration and not much more most of the time. Like Scott said, a bead of silicone just to seal the opening, and then grab a digital hygrometer for more accurate RH readings.
[Reply]
Savvy 07:05 PM 11-12-2013
LT that's a pretty awesome going away gift. I agree with all the advice already given in this thread.

Maybe I should go the humidor route down the road at my next going away. It is certainly a little more awesome than a plaque, etc.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 07:07 PM 11-12-2013
Since they have pretty much covered the sealing of the ring part, I would suggest, not that it matters probably, but when you get the silicone get one that is food grade, just has less of a smell to it, even though the smell doesn't stay once it's dry. So you all just read that line for nothing.

I'd also go with humidity beads for RH control when you have it all seasoned up and ready to go.
[Reply]
Dude Here 08:34 PM 11-12-2013
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Analog hygrometers are historically inaccurrate anyway, LT. Decoration and not much more most of the time. Like Scott said, a bead of silicone just to seal the opening, and then grab a digital hygrometer for more accurate RH readings.
X2 on this. I had a desktop similar to yours with an analog hygrometer that always read low. I was convinced that there was a leak somewhere in that box. Finally I broke down and spent a few bucks on a nice digital unit. Turns out I was way overhumidifying my sticks in an effort to get the dial into the desired range. Shop around online, you can find some really good digital units for not a lot of money.
[Reply]
Gabe215 08:43 PM 11-12-2013
The glass on the analog on my old desktop shattered, I just put clear tape over it and it worked fine hahaha. But in your case I'd say put it back it there and buy an digital. None of my analogs ever worked I always put a Xikar digital one! Hope all goes well!!
[Reply]
big_jaygee 10:53 PM 11-12-2013
I have this XIKAR Digital Hygro sitting around if you want it. i dont know how good the battery is but right now it is working.

shoot me a PM if you are interested.
[Reply]
Robulous78 11:08 PM 11-12-2013
Originally Posted by skullnrose:
Probably broke in place that way... :-)

Originally Posted by icehog3:
Expert Advice from a TOE here, Digital is the only way to go. I have yet to see an analog hygrometer that didn't look like it should come out of a cereal box...

Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
Since they have pretty much covered the sealing of the ring part, I would suggest, not that it matters probably, but when you get the silicone get one that is food grade, just has less of a smell to it, even though the smell doesn't stay once it's dry. So you all just read that line for nothing.

I'd also go with humidity beads for RH control when you have it all seasoned up and ready to go.
Beads are certainly the way to go, and even though I never had to use silicone, I would heed Adam's wisdom and go food grade as I have heard others say the same thing also...

Originally Posted by Dude Here:
X2 on this. I had a desktop similar to yours with an analog hygrometer that always read low. I was convinced that there was a leak somewhere in that box. Finally I broke down and spent a few bucks on a nice digital unit. Turns out I was way overhumidifying my sticks in an effort to get the dial into the desired range. Shop around online, you can find some really good digital units for not a lot of money.

x3 on Tom's Digital hygrometer advice, and a nood of respect to the "Dude"... :-)

right above this post Jason has exactly what ya need. Shoot him a PM but be careful, Jason never does just 1 nice thing... LoL his generosity, good will, and aptitude for mischief are well known on this board... :-)
[Reply]
LT_Blueshine 05:03 PM 11-13-2013
Originally Posted by Robulous78:
right above this post Jason has exactly what ya need. Shoot him a PM but be careful, Jason never does just 1 nice thing... LoL his generosity, good will, and aptitude for mischief are well known on this board... :-)
Noted. Haha.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll pop the analogy back in, buy a digital one and check it out before I go all crazy with the silicone.
[Reply]
big_jaygee 05:29 PM 11-13-2013
Originally Posted by Robulous78:
dont let this guy scare you...i have it and not using it and its yours if you want it.
[Reply]
Subvet642 08:50 AM 11-14-2013
I found this at Heartfelt and thought it might help. It fits in the hole the analog "hygro" sat in.

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/p...YG_FRONT_MOUNT

You may find others you like better if you hunt around.
[Reply]
goatfarmer 11:18 AM 11-14-2013
Not that it matters, if decide to replace may want to consider taking measure'mt and if possible replace with one that has same dia. Would be nice if able to view w/out having to lift the lid ?

Pic for example only: http://www.cigarmanor.com/products/caliber-4r There are number of different flavors so suggest purchase a replacement that meets your liking. Anyhow, food for thought? Image
[Reply]
JoeCool87TC 01:50 PM 11-17-2013
If you can find some good electronics-grade silicon RTV it works even better, doesn't outgas the acetic acid other types do. No smell at all!
[Reply]
Up