Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Oust Fan Alternatives?
gettysburgfreak 09:48 AM 11-21-2008
will one oust fan at the bottom of a vino be enough to move the air? The bottom rh and the top rh in my vino are only off by +/-1 but I want something to move the air a little bit.
[Reply]
Raralith 09:48 AM 11-21-2008
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak:
will one oust fan at the bottom of a vino be enough to move the air? The bottom rh and the top rh in my vino are only off by +/-1 but I want something to move the air a little bit.
A small space like a Vino can't really compare to a large space like a closet. An Oust fan though is fine for a Vino. If you are using the wire trays that came with it, circulation is fine as it is.

Originally Posted by spincycle:
I've though about doing this as well! Once I move up to a vino, I'll be looking for a means to keep the air circulating inside. Don't suppose anyone has ever drilled a hole though their fridge? :-)
Do it throguh the drainage pipe, or simply have the door close on it if you sealed it.
[Reply]
Silound 02:15 PM 11-21-2008
O2Cool makes several good sized fans that would move enough air in a closet. The downside is they require 8 D-cell batteries to operate for about 3-4 days.

If you were to buy 2-3 sets of rechargeable batteries and a trickle charger with the fan, you could theoretically just change out charged batteries every 3 days and keep the fan running in the closet.

Otherwise for simplicity, I would just run an extension cord into the closet, down the hall or wherever to an outlet for the time being. You said this was a temporary solution, so I don't see why running a good extension cord along the baseboards or up around the crown molding in your place is a bad thing.
[Reply]
HK3- 02:57 PM 11-21-2008
I got my fans from Radio Shack. Just pickup a few computer CPU fans and wire them up with constant power. The Oust fans dont move much of anything and you have to replace batteries. :-):-)
[Reply]
bigloo 09:04 PM 11-21-2008
There are not too many options for battery operated fans for a space that big, I think ultimately you would want electricity in the closet. For fans, the best place to go to is surplus stores. I have picked up AC and DC exhaust fans and computer fans at a place close to me for 1-10 bucks, you can also pick up AC/DC adapters at them too for like $2 a peice (radioshack will charege 5-10x that). I like the 02cool fan idea for a temp. cure for your problem. Petco also carries battery operated fans for kennels which might work enough too but you would need to change batteries every 3-4 days. You dont need a huricane in there btw. Assuming the closet is 9 foot high, 5 foot wide and 3 foot deep, you have ~140 cft and I suspect two 20cfm fans would be more then enough (one facing left, one right or one up, one down on different sides and top bottom to get circular motion). Most pc fans are 50-100 CFM so any of them would work. Get the biggest slowest fans (matched CFM with less noise) when you eventually upgrade. PC fans are better then normal desktop fans as they are designed for continous use, desktop fans are not.
[Reply]
livwire68 03:23 AM 11-22-2008
I would also say computer fans, this is what I am looking at for my closet/humi transformation. Also if you do demo the closet in the future, replace the rock with the green type and use a mud they make for densglass (sp) which is also mold resistant. I cant imagine power not being near by, but without being there hard to guess what would be easiest. I would also keep in mind since it is a closet you may want to look at putting in accent lighting to see your selection/ or show it off.
[Reply]
Cigarcop 07:22 AM 11-22-2008
Just get ahold of Shilala, that guy makes everything from cookies to wired computer fans for these sorts of things..........:-)
[Reply]
shilala 09:32 AM 11-22-2008
Guys, I don't want to bust up the meeting, but Vino's have a fan in them that's incredibly adept at circulating air. The Vino people went through great pains to engineer a four-way diffuser so that the air goes every direction, too.
Anything I can make out of adapters and computer fans pales in comparison to the Vino's fan setup.
Unless for some reason you've unplugged your vino, there's no need for another fan.
If it is unplugged, it'd probably be an excellent idea to plug that sucker back in. :-)
[Reply]
BORIStheBLADE 04:52 PM 11-22-2008
Originally Posted by shilala:
Guys, I don't want to bust up the meeting, but Vino's have a fan in them that's incredibly adept at circulating air. The Vino people went through great pains to engineer a four-way diffuser so that the air goes every direction, too.
Anything I can make out of adapters and computer fans pales in comparison to the Vino's fan setup.
Unless for some reason you've unplugged your vino, there's no need for another fan.
If it is unplugged, it'd probably be an excellent idea to plug that sucker back in. :-)
I noticed with mine that the fan runs low 24/7 too so I haven't felt the need for additional fans. The only thing I have considered was blocking the front of the fan a little so more air is diffused to the side.
[Reply]
croatan 11:28 AM 12-12-2008
Update: I had power run to the closet while a contractor was at my house doing some ceiling repair.

Added a big Honeywell Humidifier.

Now it's time to add some fans. Was thinking about a couple of PC fans on a timer of some sort. I suppose I could plug them into a computer power supply (have to be old style, I guess, not ATX), which is in turned plugged into a timer of some sort. Is there a more elegant solution? Or at least one that won't take up so much space? As you can probably tell, I'm not very handy :-)
[Reply]
bigloo 11:52 AM 12-12-2008
Yeah, just hardwire the fans to an ac/dc adapter. You should find a surplus electronics store in your area. You will be surprised what you can find there. You might even find your timer and a couple of AC fans and then you are set.
[Reply]
bazookajoe 11:53 AM 12-12-2008
Originally Posted by croatan:
Update: I had power run to the closet while a contractor was at my house doing some ceiling repair.

Now it's time to add some fans. Was thinking about a couple of PC fans on a timer of some sort. I suppose I could plug them into a computer power supply (have to be old style, I guess, not ATX), which is in turned plugged into a timer of some sort. Is there a more elegant solution? Or at least one that won't take up so much space? As you can probably tell, I'm not very handy :-)
I use a USB adjustable speed fan with a timer programmed to run 15 minutes every hour or two. I use a cheap USB/AC adapter to power the fan (pics below). The cost was less than $25 for all of it and it works perfectly. Hope that helps.

ImageImageImage
[Reply]
Jay Hemingway 12:32 PM 12-13-2008
Do the oust fans move substantially less air than I'm imagining them moving?

i was completely let down by the extreme lack of air movement these oust fans create. i went out and grabbed 6 of them and was in shock when i turned them on! you can barely feel the air with your hand or face practicly touching the front of these fans.
lesson learnt i guess.
anything i do that involves air circulation in my humi's from now on will involve some sort of computer fan. they are relatively cheap too, so it will be worth it to grab a few of those instead of oust fans.
[Reply]
Jay Hemingway 12:34 PM 12-13-2008
Originally Posted by bazookajoe:
I use a USB adjustable speed fan with a timer programmed to run 15 minutes every hour or two. I use a cheap USB/AC adapter to power the fan (pics below). The cost was less than $25 for all of it and it works perfectly. Hope that helps.

ImageImageImage
links for these items please?
:-)
[Reply]
dentonparrots 12:36 PM 12-13-2008
The good thing with pc fans is that they are available in different sizes to a certain degree, and with a multi-volt adaptor running them you can dictate their speed. You are better paying a few $'s more for more silent rated ones. If you check out ebay there's loads and some adverts have their noise in db listed too.

I think this guy got carried away! VVVVVVVVV

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/fan_pc_3.png
[Reply]
bazookajoe 01:17 PM 12-13-2008
Originally Posted by Jay Hemingway:
links for these items please?
These aren't necessarily the lowest prices - just links so you can see what the items are:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/B00080G0BK

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100652848

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/B000A2BLEC
[Reply]
Jay Hemingway 08:15 PM 12-13-2008
Originally Posted by bazookajoe:
These aren't necessarily the lowest prices - just links so you can see what the items are:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/B00080G0BK

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100652848

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/B000A2BLEC
[Reply]
Resipsa 10:13 PM 12-13-2008

James, I use something like this on a timer in my end cabinet humidor, probably way overkill for my size setup but might just fit the bill for yours:

http://www.northlineexpress.com/item...sp?ic=5SA-4001

http://www.northlineexpress.com/item...ag&kw=5MM-F-10
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up