Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Wineador smells like feet?
dwoodward 06:52 PM 03-20-2012
My wineador has kinda been sitting around for a couple weeks in my room with a handful of cigars inside on the floor in a sealed tupperware with a small amount of beads.

A few days ago I got word from Forrest that my drawers were completed so I took all my heartfelt beads I had scattered around my humidors and placed them in my wineador to start building up the RH.. Nothing was out of the usual until today.

Anyway, I am about to head out to a buddies so I opened it up to grab a couple sticks and got blasted in the face with a horrendous smell. It smells like moldy stinky feet. I have no idea what it could be other than my beads... they are the only new thing to the humidor.

Is this normal? I took out the bead sticks and smelled them and they stink pretty bad. What could have caused this?
[Reply]
CigarNut 07:07 PM 03-20-2012
Sounds like mold...
[Reply]
massphatness 07:16 PM 03-20-2012
Originally Posted by dwoodward:

Is this normal? I took out the bead sticks and smelled them and they stink pretty bad. What could have caused this?
From the EPA:

Originally Posted by :
Molds are part of the natural environment.* Outdoors, molds play a part in nature by breaking down dead organic matter such as fallen leaves and dead trees, but indoors, mold growth should be avoided.* Molds reproduce by means of tiny spores; the spores are invisible to the naked eye and float through outdoor and indoor air.* Mold may begin growing indoors when mold spores land on surfaces that are wet.* There are many types of mold, and none of them will grow without water or moisture.

[Reply]
Zeuceone 07:16 PM 03-20-2012
Whats the temperature inside?
[Reply]
dwoodward 07:21 PM 03-20-2012
Originally Posted by Zeuceone:
Whats the temperature inside?
It's roughly 60F right now, it bounces around from 60 - 63F throughout the day..

So do you guys think a baking soda wash would help it?
[Reply]
mmblz 07:29 PM 03-20-2012
those nylon bags for beads may look like socks, but dirty hanes are not a good substitute.
[Reply]
smitty81 07:44 PM 03-20-2012
That sucks man. Good thing you didn't leave it sit like that with your cigars for a long time though.
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:17 PM 03-20-2012
Putting beads or any humidification in a sealed wine cooler (or any thing that seals well) without something to absorb moisture could be the problem. In this case there were beads giving off moisture with nothing to absorb it. A dirty humidification device (e.g., floral foam or beads) could aggravate this.

I would guess an empty cigar box or some cedar strips might have prevented this, but that is only a guess.

A thorough wash with baking soda should clean it up.
[Reply]
dwoodward 11:15 PM 03-20-2012
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
Putting beads or any humidification in a sealed wine cooler (or any thing that seals well) without something to absorb moisture could be the problem. In this case there were beads giving off moisture with nothing to absorb it. A dirty humidification device (e.g., floral foam or beads) could aggravate this.

I would guess an empty cigar box or some cedar strips might have prevented this, but that is only a guess.

A thorough wash with baking soda should clean it up.
Well it's not sealed yet. I still haven't plugged the drain. I wanted to see how I held RH before plugging it.

But yes, I'll probably give it a thorough wash with baking soda, let it dry, and then repeat. My drawers from Forrest come tomorrow, but I am in no rush. Better to fix the problem early, than deal with it later.
[Reply]
icehog3 11:25 PM 03-20-2012
Good luck in finding a solution, and if you do, please post it here. I have the opposite problem I am trying to solve....my feet smell like a Wineador.
[Reply]
mariogolbee 11:45 PM 03-20-2012
I really like this thread. Thank you, Vin and Tom. You guys made my night!
[Reply]
pnoon 11:51 PM 03-20-2012
This might help:

[Reply]
icehog3 11:56 PM 03-20-2012
Originally Posted by pnoon:
This might help:

That won't ruin his Wineador?
[Reply]
Zeuceone 12:46 AM 03-21-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Good luck in finding a solution, and if you do, please post it here. I have the opposite problem I am trying to solve....my feet smell like a Wineador.
stick your feet in his wineador, problem solved.:-)
[Reply]
ArgusP2 12:47 AM 03-21-2012
Derrick, I would suggest you get in touch with Heartfelt and ask if there is a proper way to clean them. I'm pretty sure, if anyone, they would know best what to do. If you haven't done it yet, clean out your wineador again until you are satisfied and plug up that drain. If you are going to place any wood (i.e. boxes empty or otherwise) put a few saucers with wet sponges to season them. If nothing, then no seasoning is needed.

Good luck!
[Reply]
T.G 12:54 AM 03-21-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
That won't ruin his Wineador?
I read on a well respected blog that it's perfectly ok to use that stuff in the wineador, so, despite my complete and utter lack of experience with foot powder use in winedors, I'm going to authoritatively assert that it is completely safe to use and is the recommended treatment.
[Reply]
dwoodward 06:29 AM 03-21-2012
Originally Posted by ArgusP2:
Derrick, I would suggest you get in touch with Heartfelt and ask if there is a proper way to clean them. I'm pretty sure, if anyone, they would know best what to do. If you haven't done it yet, clean out your wineador again until you are satisfied and plug up that drain. If you are going to place any wood (i.e. boxes empty or otherwise) put a few saucers with wet sponges to season them. If nothing, then no seasoning is needed.

Good luck!
Thank you, that's a good idea, ill contact Heartfelt and ask if they have heard of this before and what they suggest.
[Reply]
Stephen 07:42 AM 03-21-2012
Originally Posted by dwoodward:
Anyway, I am about to head out to a buddies so I opened it up to grab a couple sticks and got blasted in the face with a horrendous smell. It smells like moldy stinky feet.
Stinky feet you say...
[Reply]
bonjing 09:42 AM 03-21-2012
So, how did the cigars taste?
[Reply]
dwoodward 09:44 AM 03-21-2012
Originally Posted by bonjing:
So, how did the cigars taste?
Great, but they were in sealed tuperware. Only the wineador smells funky, the cigars in the tuperware are fine.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up